PDA

View Full Version : Manara and Jodorowsky - The Borgias

Christian Bates-Hardy
02-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Any fans of Milo Manara and Alejandro Jodorowsky's The Borgias?

Dark Horse is releasing the full series in a single collection as part of their Manara Library reprints in April.

From the Dark Horse solicit:
Milo Manara and Alexandro Jodorowsky's (Metabarons, The Incal) sweeping saga of sex, blood, and religion is collected in a single volume for the first time, in the latest volume of The Manara Library! When Pope Innocent VIII dies, the corrupt, licentious Cardinal Rodrigo Borgia schemes, murders, and seduces his way into becoming the new pope and immediately secures positions for his family to ensure a Borgia dynasty. With breathtakingly beautiful painted artwork by Manara, this account of Italy's first Mafia family is among comics' - and history's - sexiest, most violent, and most engrossing epics!

Here's the Amazon listing (http://www.amazon.com/The-Manara-Library-Volume-Borgias/dp/1595827870/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393622804&sr=8-1&keywords=Manara+Borgias).

I've been wanting to get one of these Manara collections for a while, and I'm a huge fan of Jodorowsky's comics, so this is an instant buy for me.

Ian Jane
02-28-2014, 06:38 PM
I've not read these, but yeah, they've been on my radar. Will definitely check these out.

Christian Bates-Hardy
02-28-2014, 10:46 PM
I've been collecting all of the Jodorowsky comics I can get my hands on ever since Humanoids started reprinting them uncut and in English a few years ago. I love pretty much all of his comics work except for his Western stuff like The Bouncer and Son of the Gun.

Wally West
03-01-2014, 09:01 PM
I'm glad to hear this. I have the first two- Blood For The Pope and Power And Incest but never was able to pick up the third since it was OOP.

Christian Bates-Hardy
03-02-2014, 02:01 AM
Yeah it's great that Humanoids are back and have been able to reprint comics that have been OOP for years, not to mention censored during the DC/Humanoids days. These Dark Horse collections are pretty high quality too from what I've seen of them.

Wally West
03-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Shoot, I browsed around Amazon just now and wasn't even aware that Dark Horse has the Manara Erotica books out.

I remember reading about some titles re-released by DC were censored. It might have been some horror titles?

Christian Bates-Hardy
03-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Yeah the Manara Erotic collections have been just released as a part of the Manara Library I think? I could be wrong.

From what I remember, the Humanoids books that DC put out had almost all of the nudity censored out. I'm not sure if any violence was cut, but there's definitely nudity missing from The Incal.

Humanoids have been doing an amazing job of re-releasing these books and restoring them. I've got both their oversized hardcover editions (limited to 999 copies) of The Metabarons and The Technopriests, and they've recently been putting out The Incal in its original oversized format, but since I already own a hardcover version of The Incal it's hard to justify paying $60 for an individual hardcover chapter of it.

Wally West
03-03-2014, 11:34 PM
I'll have to buy the Manara Erotic collections soon. Not like I could afford it or anything right now ha! It's a bit of a dilemma because I have a feeling that if I don't pick it up anytime soon it will go OOP and will have to resort through eBay and such where sellers ask for very high prices.

Both The Metabarons & The Technopriests appears to be already out of stock on Amazon. I'm looking at the third party list -13 used & new from $244.83.

Christian Bates-Hardy
03-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Check the Humanoids web store for Metabarons and Technopriests. The oversized collections are definitely sold out but they may bring the regular sized hardcover for Metabarons back in print and Technopriests has yet to be released in a standard sized hardcover collection. They're pretty good about posting updates on their website and in their newsletter, and if they bring something back into print they'll definitely advertise that on their site as well as on their Facebook page.

Wally West
03-08-2014, 08:24 PM
I'll definitely do that! I'll make sure to check out their Facebook page as well. Thanks!

Robin Bougie
03-09-2014, 07:10 AM
Giant Manara fan. He's on my short list of most influential comic artist of all time.

Have all the Borgia books in hardcover form already, so I don't really feel the need to double dip on this, but I have the earlier volumes of this hardcover reprint series, and they're great.

Christian Bates-Hardy
03-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Looks like the release date has been pushed back. Amazon.ca now says the release date is November 24, 2014.

Ian Jane
08-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Not Jodo related but Manara has been doing some variant cover art pieces for Marvel and they're being collected for an Italian portfolio release.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08/19/italy-to-publish-portfolio-of-milo-manaras-marvel-work/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

More images at the link.