PDA

View Full Version : Any way around forced, but not burned, subtitles on foreign discs?

Wernski
09-07-2014, 11:48 AM
So I've had a couple discs like this back in the day... The French DVD of The Brood comes to mind... and I just recently bought another DVD (Scenes From the Class Struggle In Beverly Hills) that turned out this way. Basically, what I'm referring to is when a foreign DVD has subtitles in its native language forced to play during the English audio. I don't mean "burned" subtitles, where they're inextricably part of the video, but proper subtitles coded on the disc and generated by the player. But the only way to turn them off is to choose the other language setting; just pressing the "subtitle" button on your remote won't work.

Does anyone know any trick to get these discs to play the English audio but not display the subs? I can do it on a computer, but short of ripping the DVD and burning a new one, I can't find a way to do it on my DVD or blu-ray player. Have any of you guys had any luck with this? It's a bit silly being forced to watch a movie with Italian or French subtitles on screen the whole time.

Lalala76
09-07-2014, 12:07 PM
I haven't got a solution but I encountered a similar issue with the Wildside blu-ray of Night Of the Demon. In fact that one is a little complex as I used to be able to switch off the subs, until I upgraded my blu-ray player to multiregional and now I cant switch off the subs. annoying and weird.