PDA

View Full Version : Wes Craven's My Soul To Take

Ian Jane
02-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Anyone check this out yet? If not, don't bother. It kinda sucks. It has some interesting ideas but it's so choppy and suffers from so many glaring logic gaps that you can't quite take any of it seriously enough for it to work. There are some neat visuals here and there and a little bit of gore (it has an R rating) but nothing so memorable to make it stand out from the heard. Another 'pretty/handsome teenager terrorized by a small town legend' story that adds very little of interest to the genre.

Mark Tolch
02-07-2011, 10:21 AM
It's funny, I think that a good chunk of films these days which feature kids/teenagers are remarkably unreal because of casting decisions. Granted, there are lots of folks who find some of the Goonies cast to be good looking now, and maybe they had a teen following back then, but nowadays, just about every kid put into a film looks like a fucking model. It's disturbing, and ruins the realism.

Thanks for the heads up.

Ian Jane
02-07-2011, 10:57 AM
And that's a huge flaw in the film - the dorky characters might as well be models, both the male and female ones. You can't buy these actors in the parts because they don't look the part.

Ian Jane
02-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Case in point, here's Zena Gray. They cast her as the nerdy, awkward religious zealot kid.

http://j.bdbphotos.com/pictures/J/9L/J9K0I5_large.jpg

They give her a conservative wardrove that fits the character but don't make her up to look the part outside of that. It doesn't work.

This is Max Theirot - cast as the lead. Now, at one point they mention that some girls are attracted to him so he's not as miscast, but he too is supposed to be a social misfit type, a kid shut out from the rest of society and who is fairly out of touch with the rest of his peers.

http://celebrity-pics.movieeye.com/celebrity_pictures/Max_Thieriot_703793.jpg

It just doesn't work.

Mark Tolch
02-07-2011, 01:33 PM
You know, i remember back in the day laughing that they cast guys like Anthony Michael Hall as the nerdy kid in those John Hughes flicks, when most of the girls that i knew had posters of him all over their bedroom walls, but that was different. He was "cute" to a lot of girls, but not "put it in me" cute. These kids now, that Max guy above...I can just imagine what teenage girls are thinking of him. There's a whole lot of growling and melting underwear.

Ian Jane
02-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Anthony Michael Hall is a good example. He's fine. He's not 'flawless' looking like the ones cast in Craven's movie are and if he's maybe cooler than he could have been for some of the characters he played, it's not out of the realm of possibility. I'm not sure if its the standards of 'beauty' that have changed over the years or what...

Mike T
02-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Somehow, I figured this was going to suck so thanks for saving me some money. ;)

Jake Scully
08-02-2019, 07:55 AM
I have the UK blu ray - not in OAR but nevertheless a fine horror from the late Craven

Anthony A
10-04-2019, 01:59 AM
Even though I had seen the movie before, I watched it tonight in 3D for the first time.

I really liked it but then again I really liked Friday the 13th (2009).