PDA

View Full Version : Digital camera maintenance

Paul L
10-16-2014, 06:30 PM
It's that time in the life of my favourite digital camera (my Fuji X-E1) when I'm going to have to clean the sensor (there aren't any camera shops near me, so I always have to do this myself). Moderately expensive VisibleDust swabs, here I come....

I can strip down a 35mm camera and repair it with some confidence (given a quiet room and several hours), but when it comes to fiddling about with the sensor of my digital camera, I shick a brit every time - without fail.

Is anyone actually comfortable/confident in performing these fairly routine maintenance jobs on a digital camera (eg, cleaning the sensor)?

Dom D
10-16-2014, 09:15 PM
Call me chicken but I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing. Blowing some dust off is as far as I'd go. Straight to the camera shop for me.

Ian Jane
10-17-2014, 08:48 AM
Yeah, all I've ever done is use a dust blower on it. I'll clean the lenses and the housing and all that fun stuff but am not confident enough in my abilities to start cleaning the sensor.

Mine is probably due for a cleaning too. Actually given that my D40 is pushing 8 years old, maybe it's just time for a new camera.

Paul L
10-20-2014, 03:50 PM
I'd take it to a camera shop but there aren't any near me, and I don't fancy popping it in the post.

I did the job today, using VisibleDust's swabs and solution. It was nerve-wracking at first but surprisingly problem-free and quite easy, and more importantly, it worked like a charm :)