PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Hardcore Punk Bands...

Alison Jane
02-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Got into it a year or two ago so I still love checking out new (old) bands. My favorites are Minor Threat and Youth Brigade. And old Black Flag.

Nolando
02-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Blag Flag - you mean The Dwarves? :think:

Alison Jane
02-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Hahahahaha.... Black Flag, I meant, of course. :blush:

500TH POST RAWR!!!

Haha, who cares.

Paul Casey
02-15-2011, 07:46 PM
FAILURE FACE
STIKKY
CHARLES BRONSON
SIEGE (though, more early grind, I s'pose)

Ian Miller
02-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Early Bad Brains, Necros (CONQUEST FOR DEATH era), Circle Jerks, Bad Religion's 1st LP, China White, to name a few.

Oh, and Government Issue.

Ian Jane
02-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Good ones mentioned, some more:

Poison Idea (sorry Evil Ian!)
Negative Approach
D.O.A.
Early Cro-Mags

There really should be more Necros in print than there is. That double CD of newer stuff kinda sucks, but their rearly stuff is super rad. I'd buy it if I could.

Ian Miller
02-16-2011, 02:41 AM
Good ones mentioned, some more:
Poison Idea (sorry Evil Ian!)

No need to be sorry there, I heard a track from PICK YOUR KING the other day, and I still think it beats pretty much anything in the genre put out that year, and next to the Bad Brains, the best in the hard/fast category in terms of musicality and fierceness. They took a little bit of everything that was going on around them but came up with their own brand completely.

I just think they never did anything nearly as much to my liking after that, my own involvement included. I DID get to play some of those songs live (PURE HATE), and that was always a major blast!

It was everything else that went with it that was a fucking nightmare. Except the payouts!:biggrin:

Kevin Coed
02-16-2011, 03:06 AM
Although you look like you're having a whale of a time on the back of that 7".

Ian Jane
02-16-2011, 09:39 AM
He looks like he's having a whale of a time in every picture I've seen of him from that era!

I spun D.O.A.'s Dawning of a New Error on the way into work today. It somehow made the highway traffic less obnoxious.

DISCO SUCCCCCCCCCCKKKSSSS......... haha. I love Joey Shithead.

Roderick
02-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Not a huge fan of the sub-genre, but I will second Minor Threat, Government Issue, Circle Jerks and ealy Black Flag. And while not hardcore bands, Dead Kennedys and The Misfits put out good hardcore records. And OFF! is rad.

Mark Tolch
02-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Remember when we watched that Miller Idea video from the Whisky? at your place in NYC? That was fun to see. I need a copy of that, stat. I was never much into that band, though I dig that Miller was in a later lineup.

As for Hardcore....well, Dead Kennedys, early Bad Religion before they went more melodic (even though they were consistently decent to Stranger than Fiction) and Minor Threat. What I like by Black Flag, I love, but I dislike a lot of it. Oh, and FEAR. From the NYHC scene, definitely Agnostic Front.

Ian Jane
02-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Madball is good too.

Mark Tolch
02-16-2011, 01:46 PM
He looks like he's having a whale of a time in every picture I've seen of him from that era!

I spun D.O.A.'s Dawning of a New Error on the way into work today. It somehow made the highway traffic less obnoxious.

DISCO SUCCCCCCCCCCKKKSSSS......... haha. I love Joey Shithead.

I like their cover of Communication Breakdown, which is basically Joey Shithead singing overtop of the Led Zep track. Much like Jesco White would do with Elvis records.

Roderick
02-16-2011, 02:05 PM
I always thought of Fear as straight up punk, but if they are considered HC then I'd add them to my list as well.

Mark Tolch
02-16-2011, 02:07 PM
I'd consider the first FEAR album to be hardcore. I think it came out at the right time, in the right place, and has the right style. Their later stuff, IMO, was straight up punk. Of course, i'm not an authority.

Roderick
02-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Of course, i'm not an authority.

Fuck authority!

Paul Casey
02-16-2011, 03:16 PM
I forgot to add BLINK 182 to my list. Hardcore.

Ian Miller
02-16-2011, 07:34 PM
See, it's funny: I don't consider bands like Black Flag and Fear (and really, some that I listed) as real HC per se (or even DOA, though they appropriated the term for punk), but all of them are the inspiration in terms of tempo, attitude, precision. However when you get to groups like DRI, Adrenaline OD, early Corrosion of Conformity, it's full-on gnarly speed and aggro.

Fear sound more like DEVO with a bad attitude, which is a compliment.

Goldberg
02-16-2011, 07:50 PM
BLACK FLAG, the HARD-ONS, MASS APPEAL, BAD BRAINS, ANTISEEN, VENOM P STINGER and HUSKER DU when they were hardcore and even when they became college rock. I used to really like all that stupid New York shit like SOD and MOD, and NAPALM DEATH and SEPTIC DEATH.

Interesting that someone is a GOVERNMENT ISSUE fan, they seem to have been written out of hardcore history and were way better and harder than alot of the melodic rar-ra righteous shit that came after.

Hardcore only lasted fleetingly down here, most of the same thing simply became 'rock n roll'..even punk bands are regarded as 'rock n roll' down here.

Mark Tolch
02-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Even though they haven't done anything to impress me lately, I love Aussies The Living End. They were awesome when they first started, and a great live band. And down to earth, when they play here they hit the pub next to the venue about 5 hours before the show and tip back pints.

They are not hardcore. This is a slight derail.

Interesting though, as Aaron said, the punk bands down there are considered rock n roll, but when AC/DC was first breaking big in England, they got lumped in with the punk bands of the day.

Goldberg
02-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Since the late 80s and grunge, everything thing that has loud guitars and is fast is considered 'rock n roll', in fact I consider 'rock n roll' one of the
few artforms Australians excel at. I honestly beleive from my own experience and wolrd travels that when it comes to lour, fast, heavy music, Australian do it best in the world and free of pissy trend. I mean we don't really have emo and nu-metal and all that wanky fandangled shit. Just ROCK AND ROLL!

They're good musos the Living End, but they are just a workmanlike pub-rock band, like Dallas Crane.

Do you guys know 6 Foot Hick? They're pretty popular in a hardcore/Beasts of Burbon kind of way..

Ian Miller
02-17-2011, 03:31 AM
They are not hardcore. This is a slight derail.

That's right, because you and I both know that doghouse basses in h/c is a major desecration!

Interesting though, as Aaron said, the punk bands down there are considered rock n roll, but when AC/DC was first breaking big in England, they got lumped in with the punk bands of the day.

As funny as it seems now, you can imagine how AC/DC probably frightened the straights in the U.K. as much as the Pistols, albeit minus the Situationist-lite sloganeering.

Mark Tolch
02-17-2011, 09:05 AM
That's right, because you and I both know that doghouse basses in h/c is a major desecration!

Indeed!

Paul Casey
02-17-2011, 11:18 AM
That's because AC/DC can't play their instruments either.

Nolando
02-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Kid Dynamite and The Refused - best HC bands of the 90's, to me. The Curse was pretty good, too.

I'd throw Off! into the HC mix as well. Really, I would. And Dillinger Four.

Goldberg
02-17-2011, 06:44 PM
As funny as it seems now, you can imagine how AC/DC probably frightened the straights in the U.K. as much as the Pistols, albeit minus the Situationist-lite sloganeering.

That's an interesting point you make. Australians are just more hardcore and less sensitive as people in general, but probably not as much as say people from the Middle East who are just lunatics. As a result our rock n' roll is very intense and agro, minus all the 'class warfare' politics and whatnot.

Ian Jane
02-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Keith Morris is bald.

Nolando
02-17-2011, 07:01 PM
So's Mckaye and his music now sucks balls.

Ian Jane
02-17-2011, 08:53 PM
True. Morris wins.

Ian Miller
02-18-2011, 01:47 AM
Ever see Mackaye's old driver's license photo? It's impossible to imagine that he wasn't a pot smoker, but maybe he just looked like one.

On the other hand, Morris always has!

Ian Miller
02-18-2011, 01:49 AM
Australians are just more hardcore and less sensitive as people in general.....

I've noticed!:biggrin:

Mark Tolch
02-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Ever see Mackaye's old driver's license photo? It's impossible to imagine that he wasn't a pot smoker, but maybe he just looked like one.

On the other hand, Morris always has!

I remember Denise on the AVM forum talking about going to hardcore shows where the straight edge bands would be around the back of the club drinking beers and stuff.....shhhhhhhhhhhh.

Keith Morris is a weird dude. He's out there. Nice enough, but out there. Greg Hetson and Zander Schloss are super-nice dudes though.

Ian Jane
02-18-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm gonna cut his dreadlocks off when I see Off! next month.

Alison Jane
02-18-2011, 05:04 PM
As long as you don't sew them on your head.

Or mine. :wtf:

Ian Jane
02-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Subhumans and MDC are coming to NYC in a few months. That might be a fun show.

And you know what? I think Urban Waste's Mob Style album kicks quite a bit of ass and should be mentioned in this thread.