Danko Jones At The Studio At Webster Hall, New York City, 2-24-2011

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  
    Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Danko Jones At The Studio At Webster Hall, New York City, 2-24-2011

Perpetually awesome Canadian three piece Danko Jones made a rare New York City appearance last night, playing to a pretty solid audience at the fairly intimate Studio at Webster Hall on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. Two opening acts preceded the main event. We didn't arrive in time to catch The Brought Low but New York's own Puny Human played their first show in over two years, banging out Clutch inspired stoner rock to a moderately enthusiastic crowd.

After a brief introduction from VH1's That Metal Show co-hosts Don Jamieson and Jim Florentine, Danko made his way to the stage with long time bass player JC and most recent drummer Dan Cornelius in tow. They opened with I Think Bad Thoughts, the new single off of their most recent album Below The Belt, and it became very clear who the crowd was there for. Antagonizing the staff of the venue by making it very clear that the set was going to be cut short because they had to let in 'The Lady Gaga People' at 11pm, Jones' trademark bravado was in full swing, wondering aloud if maybe the reason the place wasn't packed was because Bon Jovi was in town and then asking us politely not to make fun of Bon Jovi. Richie Sambora did fuck Heather Locklear after all, and Danko was good enough to remind us that TJ Hooker was worth watching for her presence alone.

The rest of the night was a good mix of the old and the new and the band verbally showed their appreciation by thanking those of us who had been following them long enough to request some older songs. Thankfully a few of those made it into the set list, as the more recent Active Volcanoes lead into Play The Blues, Forget My Name before kicking into Sleep Is The Enemy's Sticky Situation, First Date and Baby Hates Me. The band went back to the newer album to play Full Of Regret before finishing off with established classics in Sugar Chocolate, Sugar High, an extras dirty version of Lovercall and closing with Mountain.

It was obvious that the band wanted to play longer and a damn shame that the venue wasn't going to let that happen. Danko pointed out that in situations like this, rock and roll is losing, and his point was made quite clear when the show wound up at 11pm without an encore. The hour they did play, however, was proof positive that the war hasn't lost and in an age where bands are selling out left right and center, there's still a lot of life left if you know where to look for it. Here's hoping their threat of returning to NYC and playing a bigger venue wasn't an idle one, and fingers crossed that it doesn't take two years to happen.

• Alison Jane
      Alison Jane
      Girl Boss Jane
      Alison Jane commented
      Editing a comment
      Wonder what the five crossed off songs were... :(

• Ian Jane
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      Ian Jane commented
      Editing a comment
      I blew up the jpeg in Photoshop and tweaked the lighting so I could tell - they were Code Of The Road, Invisible, Bounce (which I haven't seen him play live since the 90s), Tonight Is Fine, and Samuel Sin. That would have filled in the set really nicely. Stupid Webster Hall dance club douche bags.

• Alison Jane
      Alison Jane
      Girl Boss Jane
      Alison Jane commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. Why do all the good shows have to end with crappy people showing up too early?

Next time he should play our place. No end times, no large 60-something couples and GOOD Stella...
    Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

Working...
X