ID:	384066

Released by: New Concorde
    Released on: 6/25/2002
    Director: Rick Jacobson
    Cast: Don Wilson, Melanie Smith, Nicholas Guest, Sid Sham
    Year: 1995
    Purchase From Amazon

The Movie:

Don 'The Dragon' Wilson is Jack Cutter, the last of a line of vampire hunters that has been around for hundreds of years. At the beginning of the film, Cutter mixes it up with a couple of vampires in a hip Los Angeles restaurant. When he kills them off, he ends up chased by both the local police and by the other vampires from the same clan as those who he recently disposed of.

While on the run from the law and the vampires, Cutter he meets a foxy female reporter who falls for him (as I'm sure you know by now, all the ladies love Don) and aids him on his quest. Lots of poorly done shootouts swiped from John Woo movies occur and everything ends all very predictably.

Now don't get me wrong - my inexplicable obsession with The Dragon is the stuff of legend, but even I have my limits. In an odd twist of circumstance, I watched this movie with more than a few pints settling in and kept thinking out loud 'Hey wow, I can't believe what a rip off of Blade this movie is. What a scam. It's even ripping off The Matrix, and man, could the steal from Hardboiled any more blatantly?' Well, apologies are due, I suppose. Night Hunter was actually made before Snipe's took up his sword against Steven Dorff and before Keanu Reeves put on black sunglass and made black fake leather trench coats hip for a few months. I was pretty much dead on when I noticed the Woo swipes though. The big difference is that while John Woo's action scenes are poetic and ironically very beautiful, the gun play scenes in Night Hunter basically consist of Wilson running around with twin .45's making a poopy face at the camera while everything shakes in what I can only assume is an attempt at some form of unique cinematography. It ends up being rather dizzying, but when you've got a few beers in you, seeing Wilson make poopy faces can be kind of fun so in that respect, Night Hunter works.

If you're a fan of really horrible action movies and like awkward looking, former kickboxing champions running around with greasy mullets shooting poorly made up and cliché ridden vampires, then Night Hunter is the film you've been waiting for.

Video/Audio/Extras:

Presented in fullframe, which is may or may not be how it was shot, the transfer is a little soft with a hint of compression artifacts but quite satisfactory for the most part. Colors are ok and flesh tones are reproduced quite faithfully. Black levels could be a little bit deeper, but they're not too bad. Oddly enough, there is a German release of this film that is supposed to be 2.35.1, but the fullframe transfer doesn't really seem to have too much information missing from it.

The bass is pretty flat but other than that, the audio track sounds as good as the movie really needs it to. Dialogue is easy to understand, sound effects come through with surprising clarity, and there is very little in the way of hiss or other audio defects. A surround track might have really helped the film, especially during the shootouts, but the track as it stands is decent.

Included on the disc are a trailer and some biographies on the key cast and crewmembers.

The Final Word:

Night Hunter is bad even by Don 'The Dragon' Wilson movie standards, but it looks and sounds ok.
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Deathdream (Blue Underground) UHD/Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Blue Underground
      Released on: May 21st, 2024.
      Director: Bob Clark
      Cast: John Marley, Lynn Carlin, Richard Backus, Henderson Forsythe, Anya Ormsby, Jane Daly
      Year: 1974
      Purchase From Amazon

Deathdream – Movie Review:

Also known as Dead Of Night, 1974's Deathdream, directed by the late, great Bob Clark and written by Alan Ormsby (who also wrote Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things, directed by Clark shortly before
      05-09-2024, 11:07 AM
    • Shinobi (Radiance Films) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Radiance Films
      Released on: May 27th, 2024.
      Director: Satsuo Yamamoto, Kazuo Mori
      Cast: Raizo Ichikawa, Yunosuke Ito, Shiho Fujimura
      Year: 1962-1963
      Purchase From Amazon

Shinobi – Movie Review:

Radiance Films gives the first three series in the Shinobi (or Shinobi No Mono) series their English friendly Blu-ray debut with this collection comprised of the first three films in the series. Originally released to Japanese
      05-07-2024, 04:40 PM
    • Story Of A Junkie (Vinegar Syndrome) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Vinegar Syndrome
      Released on: April 30th, 2024.
      Director: Lech Kowalski
      Cast: John Spacely
      Year: 1985
      Purchase From Amazon

Story Of A Junkie – Movie Review:

New York City filmmaker Lech Kowalski is no stranger to the NYC drug scene. He followed Dee Dee Ramone around and did the same for Johnny Thunders, documenting their exploits on film in movies like Hey Is Dee Dee Home and Born To Lose: The Last Rock And Roll Movie.
      05-03-2024, 05:45 PM
    • Blonde Ambition (Mélusine) UHD/Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Mélusine
      Released on: March 26th, 2024.
      Director: John Amero, Lem Amero
      Cast: Suzy Mendal, Dory Devon, Jamie Gillis, Eric Edwards, R. Bolla, Wade Nichols, Molly MaloneYear:1981
      Purchase From Amazon

Blonde Ambition– Movie Review:

Lem and John Amero, a pair of gay brothers who cut their teeth in the low budget filmmaking world of sixties and seventies era New York City, blend an honest affection for big budget Hollywood musicals,
      05-03-2024, 05:36 PM
    • Dr. Terror’s House Of Horrors (Vinegar Syndrome) UHD/Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Vinegar Syndrome
      Released on: April 20th, 2024.
      Director: Freddie Francis
      Cast: Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Donald Sutherland
      Year: 1965
      Purchase From Amazon

Dr. Terror’s House Of Horrors – Movie Review:

Directed by Freddie Francis for Amicus in 1965, Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors is the first of a few anthology style horror pictures that the studio pumped out around this time. It's also one of their best.
      05-03-2024, 05:24 PM
    • Madame Web (Sony Pictures) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Sony Pictures
      Released on: April 30th, 2024.
      Director: SJ Clarkson
      Cast: Dakota Johnson, Sydney Sweeney, Isabela Merced, Celeste O'Connor
      Year: 2024
      Purchase From Amazon

Madame Web –Movie Review:

Maligned pretty much as soon as the trailer dropped, 2024's Madame Web is, honestly, just as bad as you've probably heard. The movie opens in the Peruvian Amazon in 1973 where a pregnant female scientist named Constance Webb
      05-02-2024, 12:57 PM
    Working...
    X