Paul Casey
    Frito Bandito

• MA/PE/FU Vol. 1

Click image for larger version

Name:	ma_pe_fu_vol_01_cover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	384264

About four hundred years ago, a bunch of losers left England because their religion wasn't strict enough. Instead of doing a massive group castration and subsequent suicide (why live without the batteries to your funmobile?), they sailed across the Atlantic Ocean. Unfortunately, they settled in Massachusetts, and this place still holds a lot of the same ideals that existed many years ago. However, not everyone follows this tacit puritanism and quite a few seek something outside the norm. Whether it's gay sex on the Cape or OD'ing in Weymouth, Massachusetts is a hotbed of sub rosa activity. Luckily for many (umm... some?), there's a thriving underground experimental music community.
    Ok, ok, experimental is a shitty blanket term. I could be talking about Stockhausen, Sun Ra, Merzbow, John Cage, or even Agrippa! So, let's just look at the POWER ELECTRONICS, ok? Mass has a great scene, and Existence Establishment wants to document it for the rest of the world. EE is run by Egan Budd (Xiphoid Dementia...check it out!) and has put out a few cd and cd-r releases. MA/PE/FU is the first vinyl release by Existence Establishment. This slab here is volume one of three. Each volume will capture two prominent Boston PE artists...one act a side, dildies. I'd tell you what the other volumes will be, but that'd make it less fun for you (and me)...(I only know the next one...the 3rd's a mystery).
    LET'S GET ON WITH IT!!!

MA/PE/FU - Vol.1 F/I/T/H and Bereft

F/I/T/H
    Fire In The Head is the power electronics project of ex NYC punk Michael Page. PE is a pretty expansive genre, and F/I/T/H generally works in the harsher end. This split, though, tends to rest in a darker, industrial realm before bringing in the harshness. All the normal industrial sounds are here (boiler room drums, clanging metal pipes, Full Metal Jacket samples, etc), but their arrangement is less than typical. What starts out sounding like normal Einsturzende Neubauten factory maintenance slowly turns into a foundry run amok. Low, growling synths and noise grow oppressive and all consuming. This workplace disaster doesn't last for too long, unfortunately, but the buzzing electronics that follow help keep your mind off of your fallen co-workers and lava filled lunchbox. We're treated to slowly oscillating buzzy rumbles with scratchy, distorted vocals on top. I don't know what he's singing about. Maybe about the turkey sandwich that was in the lunchbox. RIP, lunch. The next section has the Full Metal Jacket samples. R. Lee Ermey quotes get looped ("You will be faithful") with vocals on top ("My right, your wrong"). Quick section, but pretty good. The electronics are looped as well, but what can you do. The album hits a low, slow, droning bit before hitting some rough, static filled electronics. Let that rock for a minute or so and then the album side ends. All in all, very enjoyable. It hits a few different styles, which I normally wouldn't like. However, they work together pretty seemlessly, and I'm down with that.
    This is the last release from F/I/T/H, and is one fifteen minute track (technically five tracks, but they kinda run together and I'm too lazy to go through and cut up my mp3).

Bereft
    Bereft is a two piece consisting of Peter (Force of Nature label) and Andy (The Vomit Arsonist). Peter, like Mike above, has a background in hardcore. I once read something describing power electronics as something "punk kids" did once they found their older brothers' Whitehouse albums. Two punks, two PE bands...NO WHITEHOUSE (I've got nothing against Whitehouse, though). Bereft's style of power electronics kinda reminds me of the Napalm Death song "Evolved As One;" sparse, but powerful. Like many power electronics acts, Bereft have very political lyrics. What kind of hardcore guy would ditch his beliefs just because he switched genres? Bereft's side is two tracks, both about seven minutes. The first, "You Don't Represent Me" is comprised of low, distorted synthy drones, booming boiler room drums, and angry vocals. Yeah, all well and good, but then shrieky feedback is added to the mix. Ah, now we're here. It's uncomfortable and angry...everything you want. The second track, "I Will Not Assimilate" is more of the same, maybe with a little more focus on the synth drone and pedal work. These tracks would make for a great live PE set.

The first 50 LPs come with a bonus dvd. This dvd has the F/I/T/H and Bereft performances from the 2009 Northeast Noise and Power Electronics Festival and their show at PA's Lounge on 7/03/10 (F/I/T/H's last show). I only flipped through the disc, but maybe you'll see me as I was at both. Decent chance on the Bereft PA's Lounge show. I'm the handsome guy that's there with his handsome good looks.

All in all, this is a solid power electronics release from two great acts. The packaging is superb as well. I can't wait until volume 2.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ma_pe_fu_vol_01_full.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	384263
    Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Impulse (Grindhouse Releasing) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Grindhouse Releasing
    Released on: March 12th, 2024.
    Director: William Grefé
    Cast: William Shatner, Jennifer Bishop, Ruth Roman, Harold Sakata
    Year: 1974
    Purchase From Amazon

Impulse – Movie Review:

Directed by the one and only William Grefé, 1974’s Impulse is one of those rare films that allows you to witness what it would be like if a really sweaty William Shatner got mad at a lady carrying balloons. Before that
    04-15-2024, 01:20 PM
  • Lola (Severin Films) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
    Released on: April 30th, 2024.
    Director: Andrew Legge
    Cast: Emma Appleton, Stefanie Martini, Rory Fleck Byrne
    Year: 2022
    Purchase From Amazon

Lola – Movie Review:

Irish filmmakers Andrew Legge’s 2022 movie, ‘Lola’, which was made during Covid-19 lockdowns, is a wildly creative movie made in the found footage style that defies expectations, provides plenty of food for thought and manages to make
    04-10-2024, 04:09 PM
  • Lisa Frankenstein (Universal Studios) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Universal Studios
    Released on: April 9th, 2024.
    Director: Zelda Williams
    Cast: Kathryn Newton, Cole Sprouse, Carla Gugino, Joe Chrest, Henry Eikenberry
    Year: 2024
    Purchase From Amazon

Lisa Frankenstein – Movie Review:

The feature-length directorial debut of Zelda Williams, 20214’s Lisa Frankenstein takes place in 1989 and follows a teenaged girl named Lisa Swallows (Kathryn Newton) who, two years ago, lost her mother
    04-03-2024, 03:40 PM
  • Spider Labyrinth (Severin Films) UHD/Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
    Released on: April 30th, 2024.
    Director: Gianfranco Giagni
    Cast: Roland Wybenga, William Berger, Stéphane Audran
    Year: 1988
    Purchase From Amazon

Spider Labyrinth – Movie Review:

Professor Alan Whitmore (Roland Wybenga) is an American who works as a Professor of languages studies and has a fascination bordering on obsession with translating pre-Christian religious texts. He was also locked in a closet
    04-03-2024, 03:37 PM
  • Special Silencers (Mondo Macabro) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Mondo Macabro
    Released on: April 9th, 2024.
    Director: Arizal
    Cast: Barry Prima, Eva Arnaz, W.D. Mochtar
    Year: 1982
    Purchase From Amazon

Special Silencers – Movie Review:

When director Arizal’s 1982 epic begins, we meet a man named Gumilar (W.D. Mochtar), a sinister dude who has constantly bloodshot eyes. He’s meeting with a man about some sort of business deal, but a flashback shows us how some time ago he killed
    04-03-2024, 03:35 PM
  • The Playgirls And The Vampire (Vinegar Syndrome) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Vinegar Syndrome
    Released on: March 26th, 2024.
    Director: Piero Regnoli
    Cast: Walter Brandi, Lyla Rocco, Maria Giovannini, Alfredo Rizzo, Marisa Quattrini, Leonardo Botta
    Year: 1960
    Purchase From Amazon

The Playgirls And The Vampire – Movie Review:

Piero Regnoli’s 1960 goofy gothic horror, The Playgirls And The Vampire, revolves around a quintet of beautiful showgirls - Vera (Lyla Rocco), Katia (Maria Giovannini),
    04-03-2024, 03:30 PM
Working...
X