Click image for larger version

Name:	necrology_sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	384440

Released by: Relapse Records
    Released on: 6/21/2011
    Purchase From Amazon

When I was a young metalhead, I took a lot of risks. Whether it was shooting myself because Judas Priest said so or practicing necrophilia like my pals in Cannibal Corpse, I made sure to live on the edge...FOR METAL! One of the biggest risks I used to take was spending my money on some band I had never heard. As a thirteen or fourteen year old, I didn't have a steady source of income (my gigolo years weren't until high school when I "volunteered" at the nursing home). Finding new bands wasn't really a problem, but finding bands that I liked was something else all together. While listening to albums, I would look through the "Thanks" lists at the back for bands to check out. I would also flip through all the cds at my local store and look for logos that I couldn't read. It wasn't til around 94-95 that I started getting the Relapse catalog. They had descriptions of bands' sounds, so I wasn't entirely in the dark (though, I'm still really pissed at the description they had for Ethereal - Om Santhi...dickbags). Before this, though (learn how to write coherent paragraphs, dildo), I used to read Metal Maniacs. Every twenty pages or so, there'd be a full page ad for a t-shirt company. This was where I first saw General Surgery. The name was written grossly, but legibly. There were weird dudes in wild hats using a torturous device on it. I needed to hear this band! I was able to find it at a store and bought it without hesitation. That was about seventeen years ago. I still have it, but, to be honest, haven't listened to it in a few years. This 20th anniversary reissue was just the kick to the stinkbag that I needed.

What can I say about this album that hasn't already been said in the past score years? Who cares, 'cause I can't remember anything I've read about it anyway. This is gory early Carcass worship, plain and simple. Don't get me wrong, though, these Swedes mean business (Matti Karki from Dismember is on this EP). They blast out seven sickening goregrind tracks in just under seventeen minutes (well, six...the first is just a metal intro). Like their predecessors in Carcass, General Surgery uses wild medical terminology and violence in their song titles and lyrics (e.g. "Slithering Maceration of Ulcerous Facial Tissue,"The Succulent Aftermath of a Subdural Hemorrhage, and "Grotesque Laceration of Mortified Flesh"). They also offer up a pretty cool dueling vocal approach. Whether they're trading off verses/lines or doubling up on each other, they always keep it interesting. Musically, they're not breaking any new ground. However, they're really good at what they do. I'd say this is Symphonies of Sickness through a Swedish filter. I'm not trying to sell them short, but whatever. Eat me.

Topping this EP reissue off are three bonus tracks. They're different versions of "Slithering Maceration [...]," "The Succulent Aftermath [...]," and "Grotesque Laceration [...]." Are they demo versions? Fucked if I know. I don't have the packaging and they made no mention on the download site. Poor decision, Relapse. Anyway, the music is cool, a little less muddy and heavy. The vocals are neat, but different. Less barfy, which kinda stinks. If you're a fan of this cd, the re-issue can be had for short money. The songs still hold up, which is nice. I don't know if there's anything special in the liner notes or anything (how to make cadaver chili or some shit), but, it's a fuckin' 20 year old EP...what do you think you're gonna get?
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Hot Spur (Severin Films) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
      Released on: April 30th, 2024.
      Director: Lee Frost
      Cast: Joseph Mascolo, Virginia Goodman, John Alderman
      Year: 1969
      Purchase From Amazon

Hot Spur – Movie Review:

Director Lee Frost and Producer Bob Cresse's film, Hot Spur, opens in Texas in 1869 with a scene where a pair of cowboys wanders into a bar where they call over a pretty Mexican waitress and coerce her into dancing for them. She obliges, but
      03-22-2024, 11:53 AM
    • Death Squad (Mondo Macabro) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Mondo Macabro
      Released on: April 9th, 2024.
      Director: Max Pecas
      Cast: Thierry de Carbonnières, Jean-Marc Maurel, Denis Karvil, Lillemour Jonsson
      Year: 1985
      Purchase From Amazon

Death Squad – Movie Review:

Also known as Brigade Of Death, French sleaze auteur Max Pecas’ 1985 film, Death Squad, opens with a night time scene outside of Paris in the Bois de Boulogne Forest where cars pass by a small gang of transsexual
      03-22-2024, 11:46 AM
    • Roommates (Quality X) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Quality X
      Released on: February 28th, 2024.
      Director: Chuck Vincent
      Cast: Samantha Fox, Vernoica Hart, Kelly Nichols, Jerry Butler, Jamie Gillis
      Year: 1982
      Purchase From Amazon

Roommates – Movie Review:

Directed by Chuck Vincent and released in 1982, Roommates opens with a scene where a young woman named Joan Harmon (Veronica Hart) gets a hotel room with an older man named Ken (Don Peterson, credited as Phil Smith),
      03-15-2024, 01:10 PM
    • Night Of The Blood Monster (Blue Underground) UHD/Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Blue Underground
      Released on: March 26th, 2024.
      Director: Jess Franco
      Cast: Christopher Lee, Maria Rohm, Dennis Price
      Year: 1970
      Purchase From Amazon

Night Of The Blood Monster – Movie Review:

Directed by Jess Franco, The Bloody Judge (or, Night Of The Blood Monster, as it is going by on this new release from Blue Underground) isn't quite the salacious exercise in Eurotrash you might expect it to be, and while it
      03-15-2024, 01:07 PM
    • Phase IV (Vinegar Syndrome) UHD/Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Vinegar Syndrome
      Director: Saul Bass
      Cast: Nigel Davenport, Michael Murphy, Lynne Frederick, Alan Gifford, Robert Henderson, Helen Horton
      Year: 1974
      Purchase From Amazon

Phase IV – Movie Review:

Saul Bass’ 1974 sci-fi/thriller Phase IV is an interesting blend of nature run amuck stereotypes and Natural Geographic style nature footage mixed into one delicious cocktail of suspense and
      03-15-2024, 01:02 PM
    • The Bounty Hunter Trilogy (Radiance Films) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Radiance Films
      Director: Shigehiro Ozawa, Eiichi Kudo
      Cast: Tomisaburo Wakayama, Minoru Ôki, Arashi Kanjuro, Bin Amatsu, Chiezo Kataoka
      Year: 1969-1972
      Purchase From Amazon

The Bounty Hunter Trilogy – Movie Review:

Radiance Films gathers together the three films in Toie Studios’ Bounty Hunter Trilogy, starring the inimitable Tomisaburo Wakayama. Here’s how the three movies in this
      03-13-2024, 11:30 AM
    Working...
    X