Click image for larger version

Name:	necrology_sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	384440

Released by: Relapse Records
    Released on: 6/21/2011
    Purchase From Amazon

When I was a young metalhead, I took a lot of risks. Whether it was shooting myself because Judas Priest said so or practicing necrophilia like my pals in Cannibal Corpse, I made sure to live on the edge...FOR METAL! One of the biggest risks I used to take was spending my money on some band I had never heard. As a thirteen or fourteen year old, I didn't have a steady source of income (my gigolo years weren't until high school when I "volunteered" at the nursing home). Finding new bands wasn't really a problem, but finding bands that I liked was something else all together. While listening to albums, I would look through the "Thanks" lists at the back for bands to check out. I would also flip through all the cds at my local store and look for logos that I couldn't read. It wasn't til around 94-95 that I started getting the Relapse catalog. They had descriptions of bands' sounds, so I wasn't entirely in the dark (though, I'm still really pissed at the description they had for Ethereal - Om Santhi...dickbags). Before this, though (learn how to write coherent paragraphs, dildo), I used to read Metal Maniacs. Every twenty pages or so, there'd be a full page ad for a t-shirt company. This was where I first saw General Surgery. The name was written grossly, but legibly. There were weird dudes in wild hats using a torturous device on it. I needed to hear this band! I was able to find it at a store and bought it without hesitation. That was about seventeen years ago. I still have it, but, to be honest, haven't listened to it in a few years. This 20th anniversary reissue was just the kick to the stinkbag that I needed.

What can I say about this album that hasn't already been said in the past score years? Who cares, 'cause I can't remember anything I've read about it anyway. This is gory early Carcass worship, plain and simple. Don't get me wrong, though, these Swedes mean business (Matti Karki from Dismember is on this EP). They blast out seven sickening goregrind tracks in just under seventeen minutes (well, six...the first is just a metal intro). Like their predecessors in Carcass, General Surgery uses wild medical terminology and violence in their song titles and lyrics (e.g. "Slithering Maceration of Ulcerous Facial Tissue,"The Succulent Aftermath of a Subdural Hemorrhage, and "Grotesque Laceration of Mortified Flesh"). They also offer up a pretty cool dueling vocal approach. Whether they're trading off verses/lines or doubling up on each other, they always keep it interesting. Musically, they're not breaking any new ground. However, they're really good at what they do. I'd say this is Symphonies of Sickness through a Swedish filter. I'm not trying to sell them short, but whatever. Eat me.

Topping this EP reissue off are three bonus tracks. They're different versions of "Slithering Maceration [...]," "The Succulent Aftermath [...]," and "Grotesque Laceration [...]." Are they demo versions? Fucked if I know. I don't have the packaging and they made no mention on the download site. Poor decision, Relapse. Anyway, the music is cool, a little less muddy and heavy. The vocals are neat, but different. Less barfy, which kinda stinks. If you're a fan of this cd, the re-issue can be had for short money. The songs still hold up, which is nice. I don't know if there's anything special in the liner notes or anything (how to make cadaver chili or some shit), but, it's a fuckin' 20 year old EP...what do you think you're gonna get?
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Impulse (Grindhouse Releasing) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Grindhouse Releasing
      Released on: March 12th, 2024.
      Director: William Grefé
      Cast: William Shatner, Jennifer Bishop, Ruth Roman, Harold Sakata
      Year: 1974
      Purchase From Amazon

Impulse – Movie Review:

Directed by the one and only William Grefé, 1974’s Impulse is one of those rare films that allows you to witness what it would be like if a really sweaty William Shatner got mad at a lady carrying balloons. Before that
      04-15-2024, 01:20 PM
    • Lola (Severin Films) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
      Released on: April 30th, 2024.
      Director: Andrew Legge
      Cast: Emma Appleton, Stefanie Martini, Rory Fleck Byrne
      Year: 2022
      Purchase From Amazon

Lola – Movie Review:

Irish filmmakers Andrew Legge’s 2022 movie, ‘Lola’, which was made during Covid-19 lockdowns, is a wildly creative movie made in the found footage style that defies expectations, provides plenty of food for thought and manages to make
      04-10-2024, 04:09 PM
    • Spanish Blood Bath (Vinegar Syndrome) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Vinegar Syndrome
      Released on: March 26th, 2024.
      Director: Jess Franco, Jorge Grau, Pedro L. Ramírez
      Cast: Alberto Dalbés, Evelyne Scott, Fernando Rey, Marisa Mell, Wal Davis, Norma Kastel
      Year: 1974
      Purchase From Amazon

Spanish Blood Bath – Movie Review:

Vinegar Syndrome brings a triple feature of Spanish horror films of the in this new three-disc Blu-ray boxed set. Here’s what lies inside…

Night Of The
      04-10-2024, 04:02 PM
    • Lisa Frankenstein (Universal Studios) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Universal Studios
      Released on: April 9th, 2024.
      Director: Zelda Williams
      Cast: Kathryn Newton, Cole Sprouse, Carla Gugino, Joe Chrest, Henry Eikenberry
      Year: 2024
      Purchase From Amazon

Lisa Frankenstein – Movie Review:

The feature-length directorial debut of Zelda Williams, 20214’s Lisa Frankenstein takes place in 1989 and follows a teenaged girl named Lisa Swallows (Kathryn Newton) who, two years ago, lost her mother
      04-03-2024, 03:40 PM
    • Spider Labyrinth (Severin Films) UHD/Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
      Released on: April 30th, 2024.
      Director: Gianfranco Giagni
      Cast: Roland Wybenga, William Berger, Stéphane Audran
      Year: 1988
      Purchase From Amazon

Spider Labyrinth – Movie Review:

Professor Alan Whitmore (Roland Wybenga) is an American who works as a Professor of languages studies and has a fascination bordering on obsession with translating pre-Christian religious texts. He was also locked in a closet
      04-03-2024, 03:37 PM
    • Special Silencers (Mondo Macabro) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Mondo Macabro
      Released on: April 9th, 2024.
      Director: Arizal
      Cast: Barry Prima, Eva Arnaz, W.D. Mochtar
      Year: 1982
      Purchase From Amazon

Special Silencers – Movie Review:

When director Arizal’s 1982 epic begins, we meet a man named Gumilar (W.D. Mochtar), a sinister dude who has constantly bloodshot eyes. He’s meeting with a man about some sort of business deal, but a flashback shows us how some time ago he killed
      04-03-2024, 03:35 PM
    Working...
    X