Nolando

• X-Men: First Class

Click image for larger version

Name:	xmfc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	384458
    Dir. by Matthew Vaughn

I'll be honest here: I never liked the X-Men comics. When I started to get back into comics in high school (thank you, Alan Moore) we had two comic stores in my town, on opposite sides of the city limits. The one thing they both had in common were shrieking X-Men fanboys, babbling and crying over these characters like old housewives and soap operas. I wanted nothing to do with that and intentionally kept my distance. As such, then, now, I have no passion around them or their stories but I have come to learn quite a bit more thanks to the movie versions of their stories. I thought the first couple films were pretty entertaining, trying to get at the struggle of those that society would deem as “the other,” putting a typically white but nonetheless human face on that conflict. The third X-Men film didn't do anything for me, though, and I thought the Wolverine spin-off was vastly disappointing

So it was with low-bar trepidation that I went into the latest film, X-Men: First Class, a film seeking to not reboot the series but, rather, re-energize it. Helmed by Kick-Ass director Matthew Vaughn I thought it at least might be entertaining and get more to that people-behind-the-mask sorta thing. And while it doesn't rewrite the book in that regard the movie does what it sets out to do: Namely, garnering interest in the franchise all over again.

The film opens with young versions of the primary protagonists, Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr, and speaks to how much their environments will determine the leaders they come to be. Charles lives in opulence, carrying a “hidden” mutation that still lets him into the heads of anyone else. Finding the source of a late-night break-in he finds Raven/Mystique and his cheeriness lends itself to great hospitality, recognizing they are of the same type and all. On the flip side is Erik, imprisoned in a concentration camp under the cruel tutelage/experimentation of Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon). Erik's story is in stark contrast to Charles', full of misery, pain and loss which, in turn, he learns to use to feed his ability to bend metal.

Flash forward nearly 20 years on the older characters where Charles (James McAvoy) and Raven (Jennifer Lawrence) are out at a pub, having grown into a brother-sister relationship. It's soon clear that Charles, while working on his doctoral thesis on genetic mutation, is able to cheekily employ his ability to pick up girls in bars, Raven is discontented at not sharing either his genius or an ability/willingness to hide her ability. Meanwhile, Erik (Michael Fassbender) is resolutely hunting Shaw, finding a path of Nazi war criminals and collaborators to lead him to his prey. He is ruthless, cunning, but also overwhelmed with anger and vengeance.

Soon, however, these three will come together, thanks mainly to CIA agent Moira MacTaggart (Rose Byrne) witnessing Shaw and his bevvy of bad mutants getting the US envoy to the UN to do their bidding. Moira brings Charles and Raven to meet with her skeptical CIA chiefs and they're soon all working together with a special branch of that governmental body. They attempt to apprehend Shaw while Erik is attempting to assassinate him. Shaw escapes but Charles and Erik form a quick bond of sorts, recognizing the levels of power and commitment in one another. Together, then, they set out in a brief montage to recruit other mutants to their cause. They soon have a small team assembled and again plan to stop Shaw, who seems set on enabling nuclear annihilation.

It's clear, then, that the mutants-vs.-humans themes of the earlier films are being established here, with Shaw being an obvious forerunner to Erik becoming Magneto, right down to the telepath-blocking helmet. So the curious point of the film then turns to see how these characters come to be, how these two strong personalities and allies could turn so resolutely on each other, to see the influences on the other team members' decisions of which path they will follow. Thankfully, all the white people survive and stay on Charles' side while the ethnics and psychos follow Erik's path of supremacy.

The story vein here is fairly rich, tapping into a somewhat well-known story and seeking to understand the “why” of the characters which is the strength of the X-Men saga. Being born differently doesn't necessarily make one good or evil - it's an on-going struggle that can affect even family relationships and force people to face some devastating truths about themselves and the society they've created. The performances here are pretty much stellar (how could they not be w/ Lawrence, Macavoy, and Fassbender?) though some seem entirely disposable, such as eye-candy Emma Frost (January Jones, about as passionately played as her character's name suggests) or now-I'm-an-evil-stripper Angel (Zoe Kravitz), the other ethnic that goes bad seemingly pretty quickly. So with racial and gender roles thoroughly screwed the film can focus on its white male lead protagonists who ably carry the story. And since the relationship between Charles and Erik is played out much like a love story - a fairly entertaining love story, to be sure - I'm left once again at that initial opinion of the X-Men universe being just another soap opera, one with neat f/x...

Rating: C
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Hot Spur (Severin Films) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
      Released on: April 30th, 2024.
      Director: Lee Frost
      Cast: Joseph Mascolo, Virginia Goodman, John Alderman
      Year: 1969
      Purchase From Amazon

Hot Spur – Movie Review:

Director Lee Frost and Producer Bob Cresse's film, Hot Spur, opens in Texas in 1869 with a scene where a pair of cowboys wanders into a bar where they call over a pretty Mexican waitress and coerce her into dancing for them. She obliges, but
      03-22-2024, 11:53 AM
    • Death Squad (Mondo Macabro) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Mondo Macabro
      Released on: April 9th, 2024.
      Director: Max Pecas
      Cast: Thierry de Carbonnières, Jean-Marc Maurel, Denis Karvil, Lillemour Jonsson
      Year: 1985
      Purchase From Amazon

Death Squad – Movie Review:

Also known as Brigade Of Death, French sleaze auteur Max Pecas’ 1985 film, Death Squad, opens with a night time scene outside of Paris in the Bois de Boulogne Forest where cars pass by a small gang of transsexual
      03-22-2024, 11:46 AM
    • Roommates (Quality X) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Quality X
      Released on: February 28th, 2024.
      Director: Chuck Vincent
      Cast: Samantha Fox, Vernoica Hart, Kelly Nichols, Jerry Butler, Jamie Gillis
      Year: 1982
      Purchase From Amazon

Roommates – Movie Review:

Directed by Chuck Vincent and released in 1982, Roommates opens with a scene where a young woman named Joan Harmon (Veronica Hart) gets a hotel room with an older man named Ken (Don Peterson, credited as Phil Smith),
      03-15-2024, 01:10 PM
    • Night Of The Blood Monster (Blue Underground) UHD/Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Blue Underground
      Released on: March 26th, 2024.
      Director: Jess Franco
      Cast: Christopher Lee, Maria Rohm, Dennis Price
      Year: 1970
      Purchase From Amazon

Night Of The Blood Monster – Movie Review:

Directed by Jess Franco, The Bloody Judge (or, Night Of The Blood Monster, as it is going by on this new release from Blue Underground) isn't quite the salacious exercise in Eurotrash you might expect it to be, and while it
      03-15-2024, 01:07 PM
    • Phase IV (Vinegar Syndrome) UHD/Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Vinegar Syndrome
      Director: Saul Bass
      Cast: Nigel Davenport, Michael Murphy, Lynne Frederick, Alan Gifford, Robert Henderson, Helen Horton
      Year: 1974
      Purchase From Amazon

Phase IV – Movie Review:

Saul Bass’ 1974 sci-fi/thriller Phase IV is an interesting blend of nature run amuck stereotypes and Natural Geographic style nature footage mixed into one delicious cocktail of suspense and
      03-15-2024, 01:02 PM
    • The Bounty Hunter Trilogy (Radiance Films) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Radiance Films
      Director: Shigehiro Ozawa, Eiichi Kudo
      Cast: Tomisaburo Wakayama, Minoru Ôki, Arashi Kanjuro, Bin Amatsu, Chiezo Kataoka
      Year: 1969-1972
      Purchase From Amazon

The Bounty Hunter Trilogy – Movie Review:

Radiance Films gathers together the three films in Toie Studios’ Bounty Hunter Trilogy, starring the inimitable Tomisaburo Wakayama. Here’s how the three movies in this
      03-13-2024, 11:30 AM
    Working...
    X