chad
    haha "member"

• '68 Comeback - A Bridge Too Fuckin' Far album review

Click image for larger version

Name:	a bridge too fuckin far.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	383265
    I got fuck all else to do so I'm gonna review every album I own and the first one in the alphabet is '68 Comeback's 1998 masterpiece "A Bridge Too Fuckin' Far".

'68 Comeback - A Bridge Too Fuckin' Far
    Sympathy For The Record Industry

This is a 21 track double lp dedicated to then recently deceased original guitarist Jack Taylor (whose visage graces the front cover), each lp side has a different name and concept, the liner notes supplied as usual by Msr. Jeffrey Evans tells a very interesting tale of moving to Memphis totally in love with the Memphis sound and the idea of Sun Records, he also moved to Memphis after the late, lamented Gibson Bros. broke up to get away from a girlfriend fucking ex-bandmate, this bandmate not only stole his girlfriend but also his shtick and went on to get very popular with his explosion of blues....he ends his notes with a sad eulogy for his friend and partner Jack and what they might have accomplished if Jack hadn't passed away.

Now for the music

'68 Comeback ain't for everybody, Msr. Evans' voice is so far from polished that it might as well be a dirty penny covered in shit, the way he and his backing band (comprised of garage rock heavyweights like Jack and Greg Oblivian, Walter Daniels and Nick Diablo) deconstruct the songs is something that might take a little getting used to, especially if you're familiar with the more popular versions of these songs. Their cover of Johnny Cash's "Get Rhythm" sounds nothing like the original which I like because it feels more real and heartfelt than Cash's version.

Out of the 21 tracks, 13 of them are covers with 8 Evans originals rounding things out and I'm a bit saddened by that. Evans is a terrific interpreter of others' material but I feel he's even better with his own material such as "In the Company of Kings", an ode to all those forgotten rockabilly artists, or "That's How My Mind Works", a track where he sings about his fucked-up thought process. This might be blasphamy around these parts but I'd rather hear his take on "The Way I Walk" than the more well-known Cramps version :O. Expect to hear covers of songs by Slim Harpo (the oft covered Shake Your Hips), Roy Orbison, Lowell Fulsom, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Carl Perkins and Bobby Troup among others

I wouldn't advise that this be your introduction to the world of Jeffrey Evans and '68 Comeback, start with something more "normal" like Love Always Wins or The Golden Rogues Collection.

• Nolando
      Nolando
      Nolando commented
      Editing a comment
      Good review of a fan-freakin'-tastic album. I have a recording of some radio show they did and their cover of Whistlebait is so good it's scary.

• chad
      chad
      haha "member"
      chad commented
      Editing a comment
      The radio show they did in Helena? I've got that recording too and it's fucking awesome

• Goldberg
      Goldberg commented
      Editing a comment
      When are you gonna review Hazil Atkins?
    Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

Working...
X