chad
    haha "member"

• '68 Comeback - Love Always Wins review

Click image for larger version

Name:	love always wins.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	383266

Thought I was bullshitting about the review thing, didn't ya? Not this time..don't fret though, Msr. Jeffrey Evans won't be popping back up for awhile if the comback ain't your glass of sour mash (for the record, mine's Wild Turkey)

'68 Comeback
    Love Always Wins
    Sympathy For The Record Industry

This album finds us a year removed from '98's "A Bridge Too Fuckin' Far" but the music sounds light years away, this album was recorded at Mike McHugh's Distillery Studios in Costa Mesa as opposed to Tillman Audio Research (aka Jeff's living room) in Memphis and I think the band benefits to a degree from the more professional environment, it's a bit more polished this time which is good and bad. Jeff's voice is the same as always though and he's joined by the same guys who backed him on "Bridge"

Love Always Wins is a more upbeat album than the previous effort, it's also heavier on the covers with only 3 of the 14 songs being originals but the covers are some doozies. My favorite song on the album is probably album opener and title track "Love Always Wins", one of the few originals, with a catchy riff that epitomizes earworm. Next up we get into cover territory as the boys take us through tracks by Little Milton, Willie Dixon, Charlie Feathers (to whom the album is dedicated), Howlin' Wolf, Jimmy Reed, Ray Charles, Dale Hawkins, John Lee Hooker, Big Mama Thornton, Sister Rosetta Tharpe and Thomas Wayne. This time the covers are very hit or miss in my opinion, I think because I'm such a big fan of Howlin' Wolf's version that this cover of "Sittin On Top Of The World" just doesn't work for me at all, I also felt like their cover of "What'd I Say" and "Big Boss Man" fall flat. Their take on "Strange Things Happen Everyday" is fantastic, it's got a good rockabilly beat but the vocals are very Lou Reed influenced which creates an interesting dynamic.

The liner notes this time are more upbeat than last time with Msr. Evans espousing the gospel of love and how we all need it cause it makes us better people.

This is a terrific album, but I just wish it had more originals since Evans is such a great writer. Also, some of the covers have been done so many times by others that I personally don't feel like there's much that can be added to them, I dig Jeff's take on "My Babe" but wasn't there something else in Willie Dixon's massive catalog that they could have tackled instead?

I personally don't care for this album as much as "Bridge", but it's still better than 95% of the shit out there so do yourself and me a favor and get this

ps
    Their Charlie Feathers cover is worth the price of the album alone, I think Jeffrey Evans is a great interpreter of Charlie's material because he just has such an ingrained understanding of Rockabilly music
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

Working...
    X