• Gingerdead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver

Released by: Echo Bridge
    Released on: September 13, 2011.
    Directed by: William Butler
    Cast: Peter Stickles, Robin Sydney, Jacqui Holland
    Year: 2011
    Purchase From Amazon

The Movie:

Initially I was worried coming into this film: Would my lack of familiarity with the previous entries in this series leave me confused as to the well-established characters and the ongoing saga? How could I hope to just jump in and be expected to be up to speed as not to distract from the compelling narrative?

Then I noticed the film is a product of Charles Band's Full Moon Entertainment and I knew I'd be just fine.

Thanks to a gratuitous heaping of references to other films, an intentional mash-up meant entirely as filler to string together sequences of CGI-laced gore, the movie is yet another staple of Band's productions of late. The story begins with a Silence of the Lambs sequence with a vengeance-filled “Clarissa” finds the imprisoned maniacal titular character in a prison for evil food-stuffs. Naturally, then, hippies break in to rescue the “abused” inmates and Gingerdead Man hops into a time machine that's supposed to transmit food through the space-time continuum.

He ends up at a roller disco in 1976, on what may be its final night of operation. The mother-daughter dynamic of Carrie is carried over, replaced here by the past-her-prime roller disco owner and her telepathic, introverted niece. Gambling debts are apparently to blame for the impending closure of said roller disco so everyone decides to go out on a high note. Drug use, sex, bikini car washes, Porky's and Carrie references all ensue, giving the main character a chance to creatively slaughter nearly everyone involved. And by “creative” I mean “oddly convenient.” Of course the bikini car wash is located right next to drums of acid. Of course he finds a nail gun that shoots out rounds faster than a .30-cal. Of course he finds the cleaver of the title. More time travel follows that defies not only the laws of quantum mechanics but also the basic operating principle established when the device is introduced in this movie, allowing restoration and justice at the hands of plucky tweens and Hitler (and Dahmer, Manson and Borden).

I can give producer Charles Band and his protege writer-director William Butler credit for combining their efforts, balancing a complete lack of care for the coherent narrative with a sophmoric glee of bad joke-fueled, CGI-rendered gore. It takes a certain level of commitment to make stuff like this over and over again while not getting any better at it. It's truly remarkable.

Video/Audio/Extras:

For some weird reason, the disc comes with a very solid Dolby 5.1 Digital soundtrack so you don't miss a lick of Gingerdead Man's witty reparte. The image quality on this DVD is also incredibly clean, with good color balance and saturation which is helpful when your film's main character looks like a walking dog turd.

Summary:

It's a Full Moon Entertainment film, through and through. Honestly, there's not much else to say about it. At all. Ever again.

Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Impulse (Grindhouse Releasing) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Grindhouse Releasing
    Released on: March 12th, 2024.
    Director: William Grefé
    Cast: William Shatner, Jennifer Bishop, Ruth Roman, Harold Sakata
    Year: 1974
    Purchase From Amazon

Impulse – Movie Review:

Directed by the one and only William Grefé, 1974’s Impulse is one of those rare films that allows you to witness what it would be like if a really sweaty William Shatner got mad at a lady carrying balloons. Before that
    04-15-2024, 01:20 PM
  • Lola (Severin Films) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
    Released on: April 30th, 2024.
    Director: Andrew Legge
    Cast: Emma Appleton, Stefanie Martini, Rory Fleck Byrne
    Year: 2022
    Purchase From Amazon

Lola – Movie Review:

Irish filmmakers Andrew Legge’s 2022 movie, ‘Lola’, which was made during Covid-19 lockdowns, is a wildly creative movie made in the found footage style that defies expectations, provides plenty of food for thought and manages to make
    04-10-2024, 04:09 PM
  • Lisa Frankenstein (Universal Studios) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Universal Studios
    Released on: April 9th, 2024.
    Director: Zelda Williams
    Cast: Kathryn Newton, Cole Sprouse, Carla Gugino, Joe Chrest, Henry Eikenberry
    Year: 2024
    Purchase From Amazon

Lisa Frankenstein – Movie Review:

The feature-length directorial debut of Zelda Williams, 20214’s Lisa Frankenstein takes place in 1989 and follows a teenaged girl named Lisa Swallows (Kathryn Newton) who, two years ago, lost her mother
    04-03-2024, 03:40 PM
  • Spider Labyrinth (Severin Films) UHD/Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
    Released on: April 30th, 2024.
    Director: Gianfranco Giagni
    Cast: Roland Wybenga, William Berger, Stéphane Audran
    Year: 1988
    Purchase From Amazon

Spider Labyrinth – Movie Review:

Professor Alan Whitmore (Roland Wybenga) is an American who works as a Professor of languages studies and has a fascination bordering on obsession with translating pre-Christian religious texts. He was also locked in a closet
    04-03-2024, 03:37 PM
  • Special Silencers (Mondo Macabro) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Mondo Macabro
    Released on: April 9th, 2024.
    Director: Arizal
    Cast: Barry Prima, Eva Arnaz, W.D. Mochtar
    Year: 1982
    Purchase From Amazon

Special Silencers – Movie Review:

When director Arizal’s 1982 epic begins, we meet a man named Gumilar (W.D. Mochtar), a sinister dude who has constantly bloodshot eyes. He’s meeting with a man about some sort of business deal, but a flashback shows us how some time ago he killed
    04-03-2024, 03:35 PM
  • The Playgirls And The Vampire (Vinegar Syndrome) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Vinegar Syndrome
    Released on: March 26th, 2024.
    Director: Piero Regnoli
    Cast: Walter Brandi, Lyla Rocco, Maria Giovannini, Alfredo Rizzo, Marisa Quattrini, Leonardo Botta
    Year: 1960
    Purchase From Amazon

The Playgirls And The Vampire – Movie Review:

Piero Regnoli’s 1960 goofy gothic horror, The Playgirls And The Vampire, revolves around a quintet of beautiful showgirls - Vera (Lyla Rocco), Katia (Maria Giovannini),
    04-03-2024, 03:30 PM
Working...
X