Mark Tolch

• Coriolanus

Released By: Anchor Bay
    Released On: 05/29/2012
    Director: Ralph Fiennes
    Cast: Ralph Fiennes, Gerard Butler, Vanessa Redgrave
    Purchase From Amazon

The Film:

Blame my high school English teachers, but I have never been a big fan of William Shakespeare. That's not to say that I don't respect the man's work; if those exercises in over-analysis proved anything, it's that there was definitely a lot more going on in those plays than I had initially given him credit for. And while I recall having a semi-decent time during the activities in which we translated the Bard's language to modern dialect, I can't say that I enjoy cinematic attempts to overlay his dialogue atop of modern-day events. And why should I? Starting with being tricked into seeing Baz Luhrmann's horrific take on Romeo and Juliet, and then kicked repeatedly in the groin with Ethan Hawke as Hamlet; well, I can clearly state two very good reasons that these types of films should be ignored. Then again, my favourite modern-day interpretation of Shakespeare's work is Bob and Doug McKenzie's Strange Brew. (Yes, Sherlock, that is the story of Hamlet you're watching.)

Initially, I had the very same reaction to Ralph Fiennes' Coriolanus. Shakespeare's tragedy tells the story of Caius Marcius, a Roman soldier noted for his unrelenting bravado and violence on the battlefield in the war with the neighbouring Volscian army. Despite his victories over the Volsci, the common people of Rome thought of him as a tyrant, and he was ultimately exiled from the city after a bid for consul was thwarted by the more liberal tribunes. Denouncing the people, the Senate, and his family, Marcius joins forces with the Volscian army, led by his archenemy Aufidius, and swears revenge upon his former home. Terrified of his ability to do violence on a grand scale, Rome reaches out in the form of Marcius' former comrades, senate supporters, and finally, his mother, wife, and son, hoping that he can be swayed from retribution; and as the Volscian forces advance on the gates of Rome, Caius must decide whether his allegiance lies with the people who exiled him, or his new comrades whom he had not so long ago vowed to wipe from the face of the earth.

Shakespeare's written words, sorely out of place in the modern-day warzone of Fiennes' film, threaten to sink Coriolanus right out of the gate; with bombs going off, bullets flying by, and riots in the streets, the antiquated dialogue sounds quite ridiculous. Even Fiennes' (as Marcius) well-trained delivery can't do it justice, and a heated confrontation between violent commoners and the title character is frustrating to watch. Eventually, the dialogue becomes slightly more commonplace, but it's almost always a distraction despite the best efforts of a powerful group of actors, including Vanessa Redgrave and Gerard Butler. Unfortunately, there isn't much else to look at, either; the urban battlefield is the setting for most of the film, and it seems to consist mainly of gray brick, smoke, and barbed wire. Toward the end of the movie, Coriolanus has been revealed as boring, though it is a compliment to Fiennes that he, Butler, and Redgrave manage to pull it together during the final act, going out on a much better note that they came in on.

I certainly can't fault Ralph Fiennes for attempting to make Coriolanus. As evidenced during the Making of featurette and the Director's commentary, his affection and respect for Shakespeare and the play are genuine. And although his direction is more than competent, Coriolanus would have probably been better executed and received as a more generic modern retelling with updated dialogue. As it stands, it will probably do well with high school English teachers who are no doubt tired of watching Leonardo DiCaprio represent the house of Montague.

Video/Audio/Extras:

Anchor Bay brings Coriolanus to Blu-ray in a sharp-looking 2.35:1 transfer. Though it's largely free of any compression or motion artifacts, the bleak landscape doesn't exactly lend itself to reference quality, but it does capture the action nicely with a good level of detail. The DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound mix is fantastic, with the surrounds and subwoofer conveying the sounds of the battlefield, while maintaining a consistent and coherent level for dialogue.

There are two extras on the disc as well. First up is the Making of Coriolanus, which runs almost 6 minutes and features Ralph Fiennes commenting on directing the film, and other actors discussing working with him, within the confines of Shakespeare's writing.

Next up is a feature-length commentary with Fiennes, who spends a lot of time comparing scenes from the film to the original play, and describing what's happening onscreen. Normally, this would be annoying; but Fiennes is a lot of fun to listen to, so give it a go.

The Final Word:

A sincere, yet very flawed film that showcases an excellent actor with a talent for direction. Your results may vary.
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• God’s Gun (Kino Lorber) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Kino Lorber
      Released on: February 22nd, 2022.
      Director: Gianfranco Parolini
      Cast: Lee Van Cleef, Jack Palance
      Year: 1976
      Purchase From Amazon

God’s Gun – Movie Review:

Directed by Gianfranco Parolini in 1976, quite late in the spaghetti western boom years, God's Gun (Diamante Lobo in Italy) introduces us to a bad, bad man named Sam Clayton (Jack Palance) who, along with his gang of equally bad, bad men, start wreaking
      04-17-2024, 12:10 PM
    • Hercules In The Haunted World (Kino Lorber) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Kino Lorber
      Released on: October 8th, 2019.
      Director: Mario Bava
      Cast: Christopher Lee, Reg Park, Leonora Ruffo, Gaia Germani
      Year: 1968
      Purchase From Amazon

Hercules In The Haunted World – Movie Review:

Directed by Mario Bava in 1961 and featuring a screenplay by Bava (and Sandro Continenza, Francesco Prosperi and Duccio Tessari), Hercules In The Haunted World (also known as Hercules At The Center Of The Earth and
      04-17-2024, 12:08 PM
    • Goin’ South (Cinématographe) UHD/Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Cinématographe
      Released on: March 26th, 2024.
      Director: Jack Nicholson
      Cast: Jack Nicholson, Mary Steenburgen, Christopher Lloyd, John Belushi
      Year: 1978
      Purchase From Amazon

Goin’ South – Movie Review:

Made at the height of his career as an actor, 1978’s ‘Goin’ South’ sees Jack Nicholson once again in the director’s chair, seven years after his directorial debut, ‘Drive, He Said,’ failed to set the
      04-17-2024, 10:29 AM
    • The Shape Of Night (Radiance Films) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Radiance Films
      Released on: April 20th, 2024.
      Director: Noburo Nakamura
      Cast: Miyuki Kuwano, Mikijiro Hira
      Year: 1964
      Purchase From Amazon

The Shape Of Night – Movie Review:

Directed by Noburo Nakamura for Shochiko in 1964, ‘The Shape Of Night’ follows a young woman named Yoshie Nomoto (Miyuki Kuwano). In the opening scene, she’s working as a streetwalker on the outskirts of town and soon enough, she’s picked
      04-17-2024, 10:26 AM
    • Tormented (Film Masters) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Film Masters
      Released on: April 23rd, 2024.
      Director: Bert I. Gordon
      Cast: Richard Carlson, Juli Reding, Lugene Sanders, Susan Gordon
      Year: 1963
      Purchase From Amazon

Tormented – Movie Review:

The late Bert I. Gordon’s 1963 horror film, ‘Tormented,’ is an effectively spooky ghost story made with an obviously low budget but no less effective for it.

The story revolves around a professional piano player
      04-17-2024, 10:19 AM
    • Impulse (Grindhouse Releasing) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Grindhouse Releasing
      Released on: March 12th, 2024.
      Director: William Grefé
      Cast: William Shatner, Jennifer Bishop, Ruth Roman, Harold Sakata
      Year: 1974
      Purchase From Amazon

Impulse – Movie Review:

Directed by the one and only William Grefé, 1974’s Impulse is one of those rare films that allows you to witness what it would be like if a really sweaty William Shatner got mad at a lady carrying balloons. Before that
      04-15-2024, 01:20 PM
    Working...
    X