• Exorcism (Blu-ray)

Released by: Kino Lorber
    Released on: October 16, 2012.
    Director: Jess Franco
    Cast: Lina Romay, Jess Franco
    Year: 1974
    Purchase From Amazon

The Movie:

My first Jess Franco movie was FACELESS (which remains a firm favorite to this day) - the Franco film that Francophiles generally hate due to the fact that it is mostly shot in focus and has a coherent plot line. As I got further into Franco's filmography I became one of those rare cult film lovers who stands on middle ground in relation to uncle Jess. I have enjoyed many of his films but have found his output to range from decent to awful. And while he certainly has his share of quirky techniques (soft and out of focus shots, gratuitous abuse of the zoom lens) I've always found his work interesting. Much like French auteur Jean Rollin, Franco tends to be a love it or hate it proposition for most people that simply doesn't have that effect on me. I find them to be interesting filmmakers that sometimes miss the mark.

Which leads us to EXORCISM. This is one of Franco's most personal films due to the fact that he actually stars in it as insane ex-priest Mathis Vogel. The film opens with a fake staged black mass and absurd phony sacrifice of sexy Lina Romay. This sequence is as silly (and entertaining) as a pulpy Dennis Wheatley creation. But while this all takes place in a seedy nightclub, our "hero" just cannot grasp that what he's seeing is an act for the amusement of debauched Parisians and instead sees it as evidence of real demonic possession. This leads to the crux of the "plot" - Vogel on a holy murder spree throughout Paris to wash the streets clean of the demonic filth hiding in various sleazy clubs and alleys. We also later learn that Vogel pays his bills as a writer for a publication that employs Romay as a secretary - which ties into his unhealthy obsession with her. Finally, we have the local police hot on Vogel's tail enlisting the aid of another writer (Pierre Taylou) to help stop the carnage.

As almost always in a Franco film, the plot is superfluous. We are here to watch the man work his kinks out on screen and gawk at the lovely Romay. EXORCISM was shot in a few different versions (including an actual X-rated cut with hardcore inserts) but the primary version here is pretty sexy stuff that goes all the way up to the edge of the X. We also have a silly subplot about Romay's bisexual inclinations that is really there just to fulfill the audience's desire for some girl-on-girl action. The sex and the violence are plentiful here however and have plenty of bite. Franco also has some decent presence as an actor - he looks quite weird and frankly creepy. Since this is one of the most badly dubbed films in the Euro-sleaze canon (we are talking Japanese monster movie bad folks) we are going by the physical performance and Franco does the job well. The other main attraction is Romay and her expressive face and natural sex appeal carry her through nicely. And while the murder and sex set pieces contain a great deal of Franco's trademark no-focus shots and zoom lens happy action he has an interesting eye for composition. There is plenty of decadent atmosphere here to enjoy as well. EXORCISM ultimately resides in the upper third of the Franco filmography. Its no FACELESS - but it does the trick for people with an open mind.

Video/Audio/Extras:

EXORCISM clocks in on its Blu debut with an AVC encoded 1.66.1 transfer in 1080p HD that is a bit green around the gills. The print used was on the abused side so colors are not exactly popping out at the viewer. Additionally, you will be dealing with more specks and occasional scratches than on even most other Kino titles. Since Kino generally do not do any restoration we are at the mercy of the original elements which were less than pristine in this case. However, the Blu ray is a noticeable upgrade over the best previous version (which was Synapse's DVD) and both detail and clarity are good. Considering how sleazy the film is the slightly degraded image may work for the viewer artistically. Finally, the dreaded DNR and edge enhancement are nowhere to be seen. Audio wise we have a perfectly serviceable English language LPCM Mono track. This is occasionally thin but levels are balanced and the hollowness is more than likely a product of the dubbing and post-production sound than anything in the audio transfer.

Kino have provided the alternate DEMONIAC cut of the film which is essentially an R rated version of EXORCISM with clothed sequences replacing various shots and most of the sex removed and it is substantially shorter than the EXORCISM cut. Really now - while this is nice to have from a completest standpoint, what is the point? You do however get a bit more of Jess skulking the mean streets of gay Paree. Personally, I find DEMONIAC a waste of time but your mileage as Franco fan may vary. We also get some Franco/Rollin trailers to top everything off.

The Final Word:

It's Franco. Love him, loathe him or hate him - he is certainly interesting. For the Franco faithful this is a no-brainer despite the slightly wonky print. For the haters, skip it. But for the rare middle ground people you could do far far worse if you were taking a dip in the Uncle Jess wading pool. Kino provides a nice upgrade to the DVD so this is recommended - with reservations.

Click on the images below for full sized Blu-ray screen caps!

• Martin Luther Presley
      Martin Luther Presley
      Martin Luther Presley commented
      Editing a comment
      Very much looking forward to Redemption's Franco titles. And now I REALLY have to check out Faceless as well! Hopefully Redemption will do something with Sexorcism and other similar xxx-versions. I watched Exorcism recently on a Franco-binge which always means I get a handful of his films mixed up in my mind. I do remember that I quite liked it. Is this the one in which he makes out with his step-daughter (sort of)? Kinky ol' Jess... Oh, and I guess this Blu-ray doesn't carry over his audio commentary? So I better hold on to my Synapse DVD as well! Do you know if the Franco titles are regionfree?Thanks for the review!

• John Bernhard
      John Bernhard
      John Bernhard commented
      Editing a comment
      The step daughter title is EUGENIE DE SADE perhaps?Much like with FEMALE VAMPIRE...there really does not seem to be compelling evidence to warrant a double dip. Thanks for the review.

• Martin Luther Presley
      Martin Luther Presley
      Martin Luther Presley commented
      Editing a comment
      EUGENIE DE SADE dealt with that, yes, but I meant Franco's REAL LIFE step-daughter. I'm now pretty sure it was Exorcism. It's that girl chained to the mirror in the fifth screencap from the top. She's also in a different version of Comtesse Perverse (an extra frame story).
    Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Roommates (Quality X) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Quality X
    Released on: February 28th, 2024.
    Director: Chuck Vincent
    Cast: Samantha Fox, Vernoica Hart, Kelly Nichols, Jerry Butler, Jamie Gillis
    Year: 1982
    Purchase From Amazon

Roommates – Movie Review:

Directed by Chuck Vincent and released in 1982, Roommates opens with a scene where a young woman named Joan Harmon (Veronica Hart) gets a hotel room with an older man named Ken (Don Peterson, credited as Phil Smith),
    03-15-2024, 01:10 PM
  • The Bounty Hunter Trilogy (Radiance Films) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Radiance Films
    Released on: March 26th, 2024.
    Director: Shigehiro Ozawa, Eiichi Kudo
    Cast: Tomisaburo Wakayama, Minoru Ôki, Arashi Kanjuro, Bin Amatsu, Chiezo Kataoka
    Year: 1969-1972
    Purchase From Amazon

The Bounty Hunter Trilogy – Movie Review:

Radiance Films gathers together the three films in Toie Studios’ Bounty Hunter Trilogy, starring the inimitable Tomisaburo Wakayama. Here’s how the three movies in this
    03-13-2024, 11:30 AM
  • Nemesis (MVD Rewind Collection) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: MVD Rewind Collection
    Released on: January 8th, 2019.
    Director: Albert Pyun
    Cast: Olivier Gruner, Jennifer Gatti, Tim Thomerson
    Year: 1992
    Purchase From Amazon

Nemesis – Movie Review:

Albert Pyun's 1992 film Nemesis takes place in the future of 2027. Here it's common for criminals and cops alike to ‘upgrade' themselves using cybernetic bits and pieces in an effort to make themselves more than human. In this world
    03-13-2024, 11:22 AM
  • Bloodmoon (Severin Films) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
    Released on: February 1st, 2024.
    Director: Alec Mills
    Cast: Leon Lissek, Christine Amor, Helen Thomson, Ian Williams
    Year: 1990
    Purchase From Amazon

Bloodmoon – Movie Review:

The directorial debut of Alec Mills, the cinematographer on such films as Polanski’s MacBeth and Return Of The Jedi, 1990’s Bloodmoon, a later period slasher film, is set around St. Elizabeth’s, an all-girls Catholic School
    03-07-2024, 03:55 PM
  • The Shining (Scream Factory) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Scream Factory
    Released on: March 12th, 2024.
    Director: Mick Garris
    Cast: Steven Weber, Rebecca De Mornay, Melvin Van Peebles, Courtland Mead
    Year: 1997
    Purchase From Amazon

The Shining – Movie Review:

Stephen King somewhat famously didn’t like Stanley Kubrick’s adaptation of his novel, The Shining, so he signed on to work with Director Mick Garris on this three-part TV mini-series take which hit the airwaves
    03-07-2024, 03:50 PM
  • Tenacious D In The Pick Of Destiny (Shout! Factory) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Shout! Factory
    Released on: February 13th, 2024.
    Director: Liam Lynch
    Cast: Jack Black, Kyle Gass
    Year: 2006
    Purchase From Amazon

Tenacious D In The Pick Of Destiny – Movie Review:

Tenacious D In The Pick Of Destiny opens with a prologue where we meet a young man named Jables (JB, played by Jack Black) who, despite his strict religious upbringing, only wants to rock n roll. When his father tears down all of his posters
    02-29-2024, 06:17 PM
Working...
X