Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	385297

Released by: Artsmagic
    Released on: December 17, 2003.
    Director: Hajime Sato
    Cast: Teruo Yoshida, Tomomi Sato, Masaya Takahashi, Nobu Kaneko
    Year: 1968

The Movie:

Goke - Bodysnatcher From Hell is one of those movies I remember seeing a few times as a kid on the Sunday afternoon movie. My local station would almost always show either a Japanese monster film or kung-fu film and it's these movies that shaped me into the fighting machine that I am today. But Goke stood out. It actually scared me. The Godzilla stuff, while it captivated me and kept me entertained for countless hours, never did that. Goke was creepier and weirder and its been stuck in my brain for a good many years now.

The film begins with a Japanese passenger jet flying through a bloody, orange tinted sky. Flight JA307 runs into problems though when the control tower radios them to alert them to the fact that one of the passengers may have carried a bomb on board. When one of the flight attendants begins searching the luggage, some of the passengers become upset but then an insanely bright light appears and knocks the plane out of the sky.

The plane crash-lands in a remote desert and its passengers and crewmembers are quickly running out of food and water. Soon though, things get even worse as one of the passengers plays host to a parasitical creature that enters his body by a very vaginal look wound on his head. Once this happens, he turns into a vampire that sucks all the blood out of his victims body and the only food around for him to prey on are the survivors of the crash.

As tensions grow between the survivors, more and more of them turn up dead as the creature stalks his way through what's left. This leaves them in a position where they'll have to either put their differences behind them and work together… or wind up a snack for the alien.

Goke is a trip. If Mario Bava had made a hallucinogenic Japanese monster movie, this is probably how it would have turned out, and parts of it did actually remind me of Bava's own Planet Of The Vampires. The color scheme, which uses mainly bold primary hues, ensures that the film maintains a striking sense of style throughout. From the opening scenes in the plain (set against a bloody orange sky) to the later scenes in the spaceship (where things take on a totally different color scheme), the film is painterly looking and very unique.

While the film didn't send my scurrying under the blankets like it did when I was a six-year old, it still creeps me out a little bit more than it should. There's something eerie about the way the gelatinous space creature oozes through the very female looking head wounds and takes over their bodies. The interior of it's spaceship is also very unusual and organic looking in comparison to most American sci-fi or horror films where everything is cold and mechanical looking and based on pure science. This ship is able to out do anything that the airplane can do and then some, even though it basically just looks like a glowing lump of goop.

Video/Audio/Extras:

Having only seen this on TV before (and then later on a bootleg tape which looked like it was taped off of TV), seeing the film in scope for the first time was a revelation. Every part of the frame is used to tell part of the story and the backgrounds and sets really shine through on this transfer. Aside from some brief muddiness in a couple of the darker scenes, Goke looks fantastic on this release. Print damage is very minimal and the colors look great. With the primary color scheme playing such an important part in the look of the film, I'm particularly glad that they get it right on this disc.

The film is presented in its native Japanese with typo free and easy to read English removable English subtitles. There's a bit of hiss at the bottom of the track but it's minor and for the most part the audio here is just fine with clean dialogue and some impressive moments where the sound effects kick in quite nicely. I'd have loved to have seen the films excellent soundtrack as a separate audio track (hey, I'm a sucker for stuff like that and this soundtrack is great!) but even mixed in with the dialogue and effects as it is here it still sounds quite good. Worth nothing is the fact that there are a couple of instances where some of the English spoken dialogue appears on the screen as burned in Japanese subtitles. It's mildly distracting, but it only happens a couple of times and really isn't a big deal at all.

Artsmagic have dug up a very spoilerish trailer, a couple of filmographies, and a lot of other titles available through their Shadow Warrior label.

The Final Word:

Goke - Bodysnatcher From Hell holds up just great. It's one of the eerier Japanese monster movies and Artmagic have treated this title right. It looks great, it sounds just fine, and the movie is well worth tracking down. EDITED TO ADD: Criterion Collection have this slated along with three other films for DVD release in their Horror Comes To Shochiku boxed set due 11/20/2012.
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Hot Spur (Severin Films) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
      Released on: April 30th, 2024.
      Director: Lee Frost
      Cast: Joseph Mascolo, Virginia Goodman, John Alderman
      Year: 1969
      Purchase From Amazon

Hot Spur – Movie Review:

Director Lee Frost and Producer Bob Cresse's film, Hot Spur, opens in Texas in 1869 with a scene where a pair of cowboys wanders into a bar where they call over a pretty Mexican waitress and coerce her into dancing for them. She obliges, but
      03-22-2024, 11:53 AM
    • Death Squad (Mondo Macabro) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Mondo Macabro
      Released on: April 9th, 2024.
      Director: Max Pecas
      Cast: Thierry de Carbonnières, Jean-Marc Maurel, Denis Karvil, Lillemour Jonsson
      Year: 1985
      Purchase From Amazon

Death Squad – Movie Review:

Also known as Brigade Of Death, French sleaze auteur Max Pecas’ 1985 film, Death Squad, opens with a night time scene outside of Paris in the Bois de Boulogne Forest where cars pass by a small gang of transsexual
      03-22-2024, 11:46 AM
    • Roommates (Quality X) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Quality X
      Released on: February 28th, 2024.
      Director: Chuck Vincent
      Cast: Samantha Fox, Vernoica Hart, Kelly Nichols, Jerry Butler, Jamie Gillis
      Year: 1982
      Purchase From Amazon

Roommates – Movie Review:

Directed by Chuck Vincent and released in 1982, Roommates opens with a scene where a young woman named Joan Harmon (Veronica Hart) gets a hotel room with an older man named Ken (Don Peterson, credited as Phil Smith),
      03-15-2024, 01:10 PM
    • Night Of The Blood Monster (Blue Underground) UHD/Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Blue Underground
      Released on: March 26th, 2024.
      Director: Jess Franco
      Cast: Christopher Lee, Maria Rohm, Dennis Price
      Year: 1970
      Purchase From Amazon

Night Of The Blood Monster – Movie Review:

Directed by Jess Franco, The Bloody Judge (or, Night Of The Blood Monster, as it is going by on this new release from Blue Underground) isn't quite the salacious exercise in Eurotrash you might expect it to be, and while it
      03-15-2024, 01:07 PM
    • Phase IV (Vinegar Syndrome) UHD/Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Vinegar Syndrome
      Director: Saul Bass
      Cast: Nigel Davenport, Michael Murphy, Lynne Frederick, Alan Gifford, Robert Henderson, Helen Horton
      Year: 1974
      Purchase From Amazon

Phase IV – Movie Review:

Saul Bass’ 1974 sci-fi/thriller Phase IV is an interesting blend of nature run amuck stereotypes and Natural Geographic style nature footage mixed into one delicious cocktail of suspense and
      03-15-2024, 01:02 PM
    • The Bounty Hunter Trilogy (Radiance Films) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Radiance Films
      Director: Shigehiro Ozawa, Eiichi Kudo
      Cast: Tomisaburo Wakayama, Minoru Ôki, Arashi Kanjuro, Bin Amatsu, Chiezo Kataoka
      Year: 1969-1972
      Purchase From Amazon

The Bounty Hunter Trilogy – Movie Review:

Radiance Films gathers together the three films in Toie Studios’ Bounty Hunter Trilogy, starring the inimitable Tomisaburo Wakayama. Here’s how the three movies in this
      03-13-2024, 11:30 AM
    Working...
    X