Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  
    Nolando

• Mass Effect: Foundation #5

Released by: Dark Horse Comics
    Released on: November 27, 2013

I'll admit right up front to being a big fan of the Mass Effect world. I've played through all the console iterations multiple times, finding much in the rich details of that universe. And I've enjoyed the ME line of comics and Foundation is pretty high up there as a quality entry as well.

Foundation looks to fill in the details between ME1 and ME2 which [SPOILER] finds the various agents of Cerberus tracking down the body of Commander Shepherd. The commander had just finished saving the galaxy from both internal and external threats although much of the galactic stronghold known as The Citadel was destroyed or damaged in that boss battle. Now, Shepherd's ship has been reported destroyed, the crew rescued but the commander missing in action.

Enter, then, the Illusive Man and his minions, some of whom appear in ME2 and some who won't appear until ME3. It's nice, at this point in the creation of this universe, to be able to tie more of these character associations together. So seeing the assassin Leng here makes sense and only serves to flesh out his own agenda that much more so for his later actions. The story here focuses on Miranda Lawson and her attempt at finding Shepherd's body. She soon finds and enlists the assistance of Alliance member Jacob Taylor. He's a bit skeptical of Cerberus' track record as the organization has a reputation for being “a bit” xenophobic. The two characters - who, later, will become rather central to the core story - debate this as they travel to the Terminus Systems. But they both soon find that there are bigger stakes to this mission than simply retrieving a corpse…

Writer Mac Walters has a great grasp of the game-based characters and really fleshes them out nicely here in a way that will please many long-time fans of the ME series. The artwork here from Matthew Clark really shines, too, with strong, detailed visuals that made me feel like I was playing through another chapter from the game while reading.

Engaging and engrossing, this series is not to be missed by fans of the Mass Effect series and fans of science-fiction alike.
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

Working...
    X