Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  
    Nolando

• Vandroid #1

Released by: Dark Horse Comics
    Released on: February 26, 2014

Purporting to be the comic-ized version of a long-lost 80's action/sci-fi flick Vandroid has something to please even the most cynical reader.

The story focuses on two characters at first: One is Chris Carducci, once THE name in bitchin' van designs in SoCal but, “now” (in the story's setting of 1984) he's just one more day away from OD'ing in poverty. His former partner, Taylor, is on the rise with his super-computer artificial intelligence - that is until it becomes self-aware and its violent nature becomes apparent almost immediately after coming online. With his funding cut off Taylor, with A.I. in hand, knows he needs a self-sustaining body for it all to really live up to its potential. So he finds Carducci and the two begin working toward building a new masterpiece…

Naturally, though, there are other nefarious forces behind Taylor's funding and, once the android comes online he's immediately self-aware and sees himself as “Chris Carducci.” The imperfect imposter is thus a threat and must be dispatched, violently. So, new Carducci sets off to “collect information,” starting by returning to Carducci's estranged wife's home and losing power. This doesn't upset Taylor too much, though, who hints at something he's written into this A.I. that makes it ultimately under his control...

Tommy-Lee Edwards and Noah Smith handle the script with a clear eye to preserving the 80's feel of this whole effort. Dan McDaid's artwork is also quite up to the task, feeling a bit of mid- to late-80's in his whole style here. The extras included feature “salvaged” images and promotional materials that were to be used originally, adding to the whole fun package. They even have a website set up for it, featuring links to their social media accounts as well as a link for the soon-to-be-released soundtrack. Visit vandroid.com for more info.

This is just a fun endeavor all over the place and I'm looking forward to the remaining two issues eagerly!
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

Working...
    X