X
Collapse
  •  
    Mark Tolch

• The Terminator: Enemy Of My Enemy #2

Released By: Dark Horse Comics
    Release Date: March 19, 2014

The Story:

When we last left The Terminator: Enemy of My Enemy, former Agent Farrow Greene was in the process of rounding up Dr. Elise Fong, a scientist with a secret known only to her and some bad people from the future. To stop this secret from getting out, the future bad people sent back a long-haired, muscled killing machine with a metal skeleton and computerized brain to dispose of Ms. Fong...a plot that was stymied by the martial-artsin' Greene, who was anxious to turn Fong in to her former employers for a large sum of money.

Issue #2 in the series finds us doing...more of the same. Upon further questioning of Elise, Farrow finds out that she's working on a number of projects, most notably a bio-engineered skin replacement that can be grown in a lab to help severe burn victims. Somehow realizing that this may have something to do with the metallic monstrosity that is also pursuing the good doctor, Greene prods her more to find that though the technology doesn't yet exist to manufacture this skin product, Fong's team leader is worried that the skin will grow out of control like cancer. The good news, Fong informs her, is that this non-existent skin that has the potential to take on Blob-like properties and regenerate can also be stopped...in theory...by a bacterial kill switch that she's theoretically devised to stop the theoretical growth of this theoretical skin.

What?

If you haven't yet figured out why destroying artificial skin, that the technology doesn't exist for yet, might be of interest to a group manufacturing human-looking robots, I'll leave that to you for a minute to discuss the plot of the rest of the book...

...except there really isn't one. Basically, what we're getting is a rehash of the first book. Greene gets information from Fong, some shady government action goes on in the background, and then the killing machine shows up and Greene somehow manages to fight him hand-to-hand, realizing yet again that she can't kill it by conventional means.

Put simply, Enemy of my Enemy #2 is about as boring as book #1, without the excuse that it's the first book in the series, and is establishing setting. Though one doesn't expect the world in 29 pages, Dan Jolley's writing has once again failed to elicit any kind of urgency or excitement, and Jamal Igle's artwork, though competent, hangs out with no place to go...the fight scene between Greene and the Terminator in this book may as well have used the same panels from book #1.

One hopes that this will somehow rise up and be awesome, but with this second book introducing uninspired theories and more tedium, it's difficult to be optimistic.

Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

Working...
    X