Smut is good.

• Black Kiss: XXXmas In July Special

Published by: Image Comics
    Released on: July 2, 2014
    Writer: Howard Chaykin
    Artist: Howard Chaykin
    Cover artist: Howard Chaykin
    Purchase at Amazon

Revenge. That is what this story is all about. Those who rape must be punished; those who sell their daughter's body must be punished. Ilona Fontaine suffered long-term sexual abuse at the hands of her father and four silver-spooned Yale frat boys back in 1910. Once she found fortune and fame as an actress, she began her quest to take care of all five men. And by take care of, we mean she kills them all in horrible ways, a la I Spit on Your Grave but with flair. But she takes her time. She takes them out over the course of decades.

With her transsexual partner Dagmar by her side, who looks just like Ilona, her revenge starts in Vermont in 1929, right around Christmas. In fact all of her excursions happen right at Christmas time, hence the Christmas theme of the comic book. The two lover's travels take them to a KKK rally in Indiana, 1933; Leavenworth Prison in Kansas, 1940; Chicago in 1952 for some live television fun; and finally New York city in 1962. This woman has some serious patience.

A fun story full of sleaze, murder, and hard core sex is a story that gets this reader's attention even without someone like Howard Chaykin at the helm. But put him in charge? Holy shit what a ride. The horrendousness of the child rape scene is a rugged read, but it isn't long lasting, and it certainly gets the point across: those five men deserve to die for their deeds. And die they do, in a number of fashions.

Aside from the fantastic script, great dialogue, and subject matter to make you cringe, the artwork is jaw-droppingly beautiful. It has the same feel as a Satellite Sam story with all its slimy characters, and sleaze-ridden situations, and it has the same look as well. Amazingly detailed black-and-white artwork once again shows off Mr. Chaykin's mastery of the pen and ink, rivaling anyone you can name who may come to mind when think of those who work well in fashion: Esteban Maroto, Gray Morrow, and Bernie Wrightson to name but a few. Every panel is as busy as a photograph and his layering technique makes for an image that stuns. At the end of the book is a couple of pages where he explains how he achieves the look he delivers. This is high-grade stuff, but very adult, so make sure paint your awful 9th grader moustache with some mascara before you bring it to the counter. And try not to let your voice squeak.

• Todd Jordan
      Todd Jordan
      Smut is good.
      Todd Jordan commented
      Editing a comment
      I've already read this one four times. I'd not read either Black Kiss series before this, but I'll hunt them out now. Good, nasty stuff.

• Ian Jane
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      Ian Jane commented
      Editing a comment
      Chaykin is at his best when he's not holding back, and Black Kiss lets him do that. The first series is classic stuff. I'm glad he went back to the characters.

• Todd Jordan
      Todd Jordan
      Smut is good.
      Todd Jordan commented
      Editing a comment
      I was surprised, not shocked mind you, with the jizz-spurting penises. Last time I recall that in a comic was Tales From the Leather Nun. I'm sure I've seen it since, but that one stands out. At first I wondered where in Vermont the story starts, and then I heard Chaykin in my head say "who cares? FUCK Vermont" and I was at ease. He was right. Fuck Vermont.
    Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

Working...
X