The Pee-Wee Herman Show - The Stephen Sondheim Theatre - December 23rd 2010

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  
    Alison Jane
    Girl Boss Jane

• The Pee-Wee Herman Show - The Stephen Sondheim Theatre - December 23rd 2010

I've loved Pee-Wee Herman ever since I was a kid. In a lot of ways, I haven't changed much since then so when I found out The Pee-Wee Herman Show was coming to Broadway I had to have tickets. And since I didn't know how well the show would be received or how long it would last I knew I had to get tickets fast. Not realizing initially that the show was based on the not child-friendly original HBO Pee-Wee Herman Show, I got a ticket for my son as well. He mainly knows Pee-Wee from Pee-Wee's Big Adventure but he loved him in that so he was pretty excited about going too. A friend of mine saw the show back in November and after talking it over with him, I decided the “dirty” jokes would be the type that would go over my son's head. So… December 23rd… all Christmas spirity… we headed to the show.

The stage, even before the show started really put you in the mood for what was about to go down and when Paul Reubens aka Pee-Wee Herman hit the floor, the crowd absolutely erupted. It was nothing like I'd ever seen or heard before at any of the Broadway shows I've been to. Ever. I had originally thought this might be a theatre crowd, the type who go to everything just for the snooty theatre experience, but no... this was Pee-Wee mania through and through. The distance, lighting and makeup made Reubens look like he hadn't aged a day since 1985. It's always sad to revive a character and get all excited that it's still the original actor, not some weird, wrong replacement and then be so removed from the story because the person looks SO OLD. Sometimes you can't win in situations like that. Luckily, for NYC and those attending The Pee-Wee Herman Show that night, we were all winners. Reubens was dead on. Also reprising their roles were Lynne Marie Stewart, the original Miss Yvonne- the most beautiful woman in Puppetland, John Moody as the thieving Mailman Mike and, finally, John Paragon as both Jambi, the genie in a box, and Pteri, the seemingly drunk pterodactyl. It's great to see actors who so believe in a role that they still want to do it thirty years later. Some additional characters added to the show who were actually from Pee-Wee's Playhouse and not the original HBO special, were Cowboy Curtis, played by Phil LaMarr (I guess they couldn't get Lawrence, I mean Larry Fishburne, haha) and The King of Cartoons, played by Lance Roberts (originally played by “Blacula” William Marshall). I was happy to see that Kap'n Karl's character was omitted rather than trying to fill the shoes of the legendary Phil Hartman. In this version of the Pee-Wee Herman Show, Cowboy Curtis plays Miss Yvonne's love interest and the switch works just fine. Puppet characters include Chairry (who stole the show in a super creepy dance sequence duet with Pee-Wee… seriously… creeeeee-py!), Magic Screen (who at one point offers oral sex to a fireman), Randy (the bully), Globey, Conky and Mr. Window. Of interest to horror fans is Chiodo Bros. Productions (of Killer Klowns fame) supplying the puppets for the show. They have a history with Pee-Wee having done the infamous Large Marge bit for Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

The story starts with Pee-Wee being offered a wish from Jambi the genie. Earlier in the show Pee-Wee and Miss Yvonne are discussing their secret wishes, Pee-Wee's being that he could fly and Miss Yvonne's being that Cowboy Curtis would like her. I mean really like her. Pee-Wee hears Miss Yvonne's words ringing in his head and asks Jambi if he can use his wish for someone else and ends up wishing for Cowboy Curtis to really like Miss Yvonne. The two are all giggly and starry-eyed for each other during the rest of the show and Pee-Wee is feeling sad that he gave up his wish. If he could fly, after all, he'd be… the luckiest boy in the world. As in typical Playhouse fashion, there are a lot of goings-on intertwined with the main storyline. I was really happy to see a Penny cartoon included as well as a Mr. Bungle educational video on proper hygiene and manners for children, both regulars on Pee-Wee's Playhouse. All in all, The Pee-Wee Herman Show on Broadway was everything it should have been and more. The enthusiasm of the crowd really made the whole experience and, I won't ruin the end for you, but the finale was pretty amazingly done. Cheers to creative ingenuity and death to CGI. The secret word of the day was “FUN” and fun was definitely had by all.

Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Rock! Shock! Pop!'s Best Blu-ray & UHD Releases Of 2021!
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

2021 was not a great year for a lot of us, but just the same, we here at Rock! Shock! Pop! were once again lucky enough to review a lot of the really great releases that have come out in the last twelve months. Continuing the tradition started a few years ago, it's once again time to look back at the best of the best. So without further ado, here are our favorite titles that we were able to write up this year, ranked in no particular order and based on the ever important mix of ...
    12-23-2021, 05:11 PM
  • Rock! Shock! Pop!'s Best Blu-ray & UHD Releases Of 2020!
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane
    2020 fucking sucked, but just the same, we here at Rock! Shock! Pop! were once again lucky enough to review a lot of the really great releases that have come out in the last twelve months. Continuing the tradition started a few years ago, it's once again time to look back at the best of the best. So without further ado, here are our favorite titles that we were able to write up this year, ranked in no particular order and based on the ever important mix of entertainment value and quality...
    12-28-2020, 12:30 PM
  • Rock! Shock! Pop!'s Best DVD & Blu-ray Releases Of 2019!
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

2019 has come and gone and once again, we here at Rock! Shock! Pop! have been lucky enough to review a lot of the really great releases that have come out in the last twelve months. Continuing the tradition started a few years ago, it's once again time to look back at the best of the best. So without further ado, here are our favorite titles that we were able to write up this year, ranked in no particular order and based on the ever important mix of entertainment value and quality...
    12-29-2019, 04:12 PM
  • Rock! Shock! Pop!'s Best Of 2017
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane
    The last few years have seen a resurgence in the popularity of cult titles on DVD and especially Blu-ray and for fans, well, 2017 was an embarrassment of riches. We hear at R!S!P! have been privileged enough to have the opportunity to review a lot of the best and most interesting to come out this year, and with 2018 just a few short hours away, why not look back on the last twelve months? So without further ado, here are our favorite titles that we were able to write up this year, ranked in...
    12-29-2017, 05:33 PM
  • Friday The 13th: The Game
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

By Alex Kattke

Released on: May 26th, 2017

Developed by: Illfonic
    Published by: Gun Media
    Platform: Steam Note: this review pertains to the PC version on Steam. This is not a reflection of the game's current state on Xbox One or Playstation 4. Friday the 13th is regarded as the big bad motherfucker of the Slasher movie sub-genre and not needing much in the way of introduction. Any horror fan has most likely seen most of the films in the franchise and ha...
    06-02-2017, 12:30 PM
  • Arthouse and Grindhouse: Blurred Lines.
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane
    Arthouse and Grindhouse: Blurred Lines.
    By A
    lexander Kattke It opens in black and white in slow motion. Pleasant chamber music plays to create a contrast. A middle-aged couple are shown fucking. We cut to the balls slamming against the wife's ass. A young boy enters the room unaware of what's happening in front of him. The child continues wandering throughout this home and falls -majestically- out of a window to his death. The film's title appears after we fade away. Grainy home movie-li...
    02-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Working...
X