Click image for larger version

Name:	61oEf-OwDZL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	385519

Released by: SPV
    Released on: October 27th, 2014.
    Purchase From Amazon

MOB RULES are a German metal powerhouse that have been around since the mid 90's and this career spanning compilation is a very nice present for both long time fans and newbies. In addition to a first disc of classic tracks, there is a second CD of re-recordings and alternate versions and new tracks and even a bonus CD single with a new song.

I wasn't familiar with these boys before hearing this set and let me tell you - I'm a bit ashamed. I have a pretty strong aversion to what I politely refer to as pansy-ass faux power metal like RHAPSODY and I may have avoided these guys based on some pretty hefty assumptions. I was wrong. MOB RULES (named after a mighty BLACK SABBATH album fronted by Ronnie James Dio) have a no-nonsense, elegant but ballsy, classic trad metal sound laced with heavy power metal influences and the occasional symphonic flourish. Think epic RAINBOW like "Stargazer" or prime HELLOWEEN or GAMMA RAY when they put the petal to the speed metal.

The first 'best of' disc does a nice job of collecting highlights from their career up to now with a nice oddball curve thrown with a live version of their epic "Rain Song" (no, not the ZEPPELIN track). As a first timer, this disc got me wanting to start collecting the back catalog. So - mission accomplished. Disc two is where the real fun starts with some cool cover versions like UFO's "Lights Out" and RAINBOW's "Run With The Wolf". There are also new tracks and a lot of special guests like the mighty Udo Dirkschneider (ex-ACCEPT now solo) on "Insurgia" and Peavey Wagner from criminally underrated German metalists RAGE on "How The Gypsy Was Born". The final audio disc is a CD single highlighting new track "My Kingdom Come" which also pops up in an orchestral version as the final track on disc two. Note - the physical product features a bonus DVD which we were not provided with for review.

The verdict? Two horns up. They may not be as doomy as their namesake LP but these guys are first class trad/power metal with a class vocalist and Ritchie Blackmore level guitar pyro. This is also a great example of a reasonably priced superb career overview with goodies for the faithful butwhich is also an excellent intro for those dipping their metal toes.

Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

Working...
    X