X
Collapse
  •  
    Horace Cordier

• Scorpion King 4: The Quest For Power

Released by: Universal Studios
    Released on: January 13th, 2015.
    Director: Mike Elliott
    Cast: Victor Webster, Barry Bostwick, Ellen Hollman, Will Kemp, M. Emmet Walsh
    Year: 2015
    Purchase From Amazon

The Movie:

You want a plot synopsis of THE SCORPION KING 4: THE QUEST FOR POWER? Head on over to IMDB and feast your eyes on three out of four of the plot recaps for Indiana Jones movies and you'll be 90% of the way there (hint - you can skip the Shia Labeouf travesty). In short, there's a Scorpion King named Mathayus (Victor Webster) who is on a quest. For power. With a hot chick named Valina (Ellen Hollman) and her father Sorrell (Barry Bostwick) along for the ride. There's a relic and a villain named Drazen (Will Kemp) who's a double-crossing snake.

Beyond that I can barely muster up the energy to go on. This is a frankly terrible film and emblematic of many of the problems with the home video/streaming industry today. The most interesting things about SCORPION KING 4 have more to do with the film as a product of 2015 than the actual movie. So let's discuss THAT instead, shall we?

The first SCORPION KING was a spinoff from the Brendan Fraser MUMMY films and starred Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Not a great film but passable. And it's existence made sense. Johnson was an up and coming B-lister with some promise. He successfully made the transition from pro wrestler to genre actor. So successfully in fact that his prize was NOT having to star in crap like this third DTV sequel. As I suffered through this awful film my mind started wandering down some strange highways. Who buys these films? I mean, goes into a Best Buy or a Target (sadly in today's dwindling physical media outlet state these major studio backed monstrosities are part of a very small group of films still sold in brick and mortar environments) and says "You have the new Scorpion King?". So I headed over to IMDB. Three out of four of the user viewers lauded the film for its "family values". Interesting that a movie where people are repeatedly shot in the ass seems to play well with the anti-vulgarity crowd. I'm not a fool. I know there's a LEPRECHAUN Blu ray boxed set out there. I suppose every franchise has its fans but why would a major studio invest in a mildly tricked out special edition for something that screams out WAIT FOR ME ON NETFLIX DUDE?

Then I started contemplating even thornier issues. Who's running modern low budget cgi these days? Cause man, the digital spiders and pulsating lava rocks in this thing look like the brown surprise a bear leaves in the woods. How is it that TERMINATOR 2, decades old, looks a million times more believable? Finally I confronted the biggest dilemma of all. What's with all the stunt casting that seems designed to excite old dudes like me but will probably be lost on 99% of this turd's intended audience? And why bother getting the likes of Lou Ferrigno, Rutger Hauer, Michael Biehn and a cult obscurity like Don "The Dragon" Wilson in your movie if you have no idea how to use them? Used to be if you got a guy like Dick Miller to show up in your movie for 5 minutes you gave him something everyone remembers like his gun seller in the original TERMINATOR ("Hey. Just whatcha see pal!"). Now you get Ferrigno looking lost and annoyed plopped randomly in front of a camera. This is a trend that seemed to start with Rob Zombie and his godawful HALLOWEEN remakes.

As all these thoughts flashed through my mind, the film rolled on. And then mercifully it was over. Dear SCORPION KING, please sequel no more and franchise not again.

Video/Audio/Extras:

Like the Chinese radio propagandist says in PORK CHOP HILL (a fine film I'll be reviewing for RSP! in upcoming happier times) welcome to the meat grinder. The 1080p AVC encoded 1.78:1 image presented here is a borderline shoddy affair with black crush making regular appearances and the two deadly M brothers (murky and muddy) being frequent visitors to the screen. Detail? Lame. And when the cgi kicks in the HD does a brutal job of exposing how poorly done it is. This could also have used a bit of judicious color timing.

The English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track trumps the poor video simply by being utterly forgettable. LFE and directional effects are singularly unimpressive but everything is correctly balanced and audible. Considering the dialog however that may be one for the minus books. Universal have also provided 5.1 tracks in French and Spanish and subtitle options.

Extras? Too. Damn. Many. The actor and director commentary is probably the only worthwhile thing on this woe begotten disc with actor Barry Bostwick revealing himself to be a very funny guy (who belongs in better movies). There's a certain amount of backslapping and delusion on display from director Mike Elliot about the quality of what's onscreen though but it's pleasant enough. This track also includes actors Ellen Hollman and Victor Webster in addition to the aforementioned Bostwick and Elliot. Then there is a completely superfluous EIGHTEEN MINUTE making of doc, an agonizing FIFTEEN MINUTES of outtakes and gulp, a gag reel (there ought to be a law against movies this bad having a gag reel).

The Final Word:

No sting in the tail. Avoid.

Click on the images below for full sized Blu-ray screen caps!

Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Impulse (Grindhouse Releasing) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Grindhouse Releasing
    Released on: March 12th, 2024.
    Director: William Grefé
    Cast: William Shatner, Jennifer Bishop, Ruth Roman, Harold Sakata
    Year: 1974
    Purchase From Amazon

Impulse – Movie Review:

Directed by the one and only William Grefé, 1974’s Impulse is one of those rare films that allows you to witness what it would be like if a really sweaty William Shatner got mad at a lady carrying balloons. Before that
    04-15-2024, 01:20 PM
  • Lisa Frankenstein (Universal Studios) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Universal Studios
    Released on: April 9th, 2024.
    Director: Zelda Williams
    Cast: Kathryn Newton, Cole Sprouse, Carla Gugino, Joe Chrest, Henry Eikenberry
    Year: 2024
    Purchase From Amazon

Lisa Frankenstein – Movie Review:

The feature-length directorial debut of Zelda Williams, 20214’s Lisa Frankenstein takes place in 1989 and follows a teenaged girl named Lisa Swallows (Kathryn Newton) who, two years ago, lost her mother
    04-03-2024, 03:40 PM
  • Spider Labyrinth (Severin Films) UHD/Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
    Released on: April 30th, 2024.
    Director: Gianfranco Giagni
    Cast: Roland Wybenga, William Berger, Stéphane Audran
    Year: 1988
    Purchase From Amazon

Spider Labyrinth – Movie Review:

Professor Alan Whitmore (Roland Wybenga) is an American who works as a Professor of languages studies and has a fascination bordering on obsession with translating pre-Christian religious texts. He was also locked in a closet
    04-03-2024, 03:37 PM
  • Special Silencers (Mondo Macabro) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Mondo Macabro
    Director: Arizal
    Cast: Barry Prima, Eva Arnaz, W.D. Mochtar
    Year: 1982
    Purchase From Amazon

Special Silencers – Movie Review:

When director Arizal’s 1982 epic begins, we meet a man named Gumilar (W.D. Mochtar), a sinister dude who has constantly bloodshot eyes. He’s meeting with a man about some sort of business deal, but a flashback shows us how some time ago he killed
    04-03-2024, 03:35 PM
  • The Playgirls And The Vampire (Vinegar Syndrome) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Vinegar Syndrome
    Released on: March 26th, 2024.
    Director: Piero Regnoli
    Cast: Walter Brandi, Lyla Rocco, Maria Giovannini, Alfredo Rizzo, Marisa Quattrini, Leonardo Botta
    Year: 1960
    Purchase From Amazon

The Playgirls And The Vampire – Movie Review:

Piero Regnoli’s 1960 goofy gothic horror, The Playgirls And The Vampire, revolves around a quintet of beautiful showgirls - Vera (Lyla Rocco), Katia (Maria Giovannini),
    04-03-2024, 03:30 PM
  • The Abandoned (Unearthed Films) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Unearthed Films
    Director: Nacho Cerdà
    Cast: Anastasia Hille, Karel Roden, Valentin Goshev
    Year: 2006
    Purchase From Amazon

The Abandoned – Movie Review:

Directed by Nacho Cerdà, who co-wrote with Richard Stanley and Karim Hussain, 2006's The Abandoned opens in Russia in 1966 where a poor family sits at the dinner table only to be interrupted when a large truck stops suddenly in front
    03-28-2024, 04:29 PM
Working...
X