X
Collapse
  •  
    Horace Cordier

• Scorpion King 4: The Quest For Power

Released by: Universal Studios
    Released on: January 13th, 2015.
    Director: Mike Elliott
    Cast: Victor Webster, Barry Bostwick, Ellen Hollman, Will Kemp, M. Emmet Walsh
    Year: 2015
    Purchase From Amazon

The Movie:

You want a plot synopsis of THE SCORPION KING 4: THE QUEST FOR POWER? Head on over to IMDB and feast your eyes on three out of four of the plot recaps for Indiana Jones movies and you'll be 90% of the way there (hint - you can skip the Shia Labeouf travesty). In short, there's a Scorpion King named Mathayus (Victor Webster) who is on a quest. For power. With a hot chick named Valina (Ellen Hollman) and her father Sorrell (Barry Bostwick) along for the ride. There's a relic and a villain named Drazen (Will Kemp) who's a double-crossing snake.

Beyond that I can barely muster up the energy to go on. This is a frankly terrible film and emblematic of many of the problems with the home video/streaming industry today. The most interesting things about SCORPION KING 4 have more to do with the film as a product of 2015 than the actual movie. So let's discuss THAT instead, shall we?

The first SCORPION KING was a spinoff from the Brendan Fraser MUMMY films and starred Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Not a great film but passable. And it's existence made sense. Johnson was an up and coming B-lister with some promise. He successfully made the transition from pro wrestler to genre actor. So successfully in fact that his prize was NOT having to star in crap like this third DTV sequel. As I suffered through this awful film my mind started wandering down some strange highways. Who buys these films? I mean, goes into a Best Buy or a Target (sadly in today's dwindling physical media outlet state these major studio backed monstrosities are part of a very small group of films still sold in brick and mortar environments) and says "You have the new Scorpion King?". So I headed over to IMDB. Three out of four of the user viewers lauded the film for its "family values". Interesting that a movie where people are repeatedly shot in the ass seems to play well with the anti-vulgarity crowd. I'm not a fool. I know there's a LEPRECHAUN Blu ray boxed set out there. I suppose every franchise has its fans but why would a major studio invest in a mildly tricked out special edition for something that screams out WAIT FOR ME ON NETFLIX DUDE?

Then I started contemplating even thornier issues. Who's running modern low budget cgi these days? Cause man, the digital spiders and pulsating lava rocks in this thing look like the brown surprise a bear leaves in the woods. How is it that TERMINATOR 2, decades old, looks a million times more believable? Finally I confronted the biggest dilemma of all. What's with all the stunt casting that seems designed to excite old dudes like me but will probably be lost on 99% of this turd's intended audience? And why bother getting the likes of Lou Ferrigno, Rutger Hauer, Michael Biehn and a cult obscurity like Don "The Dragon" Wilson in your movie if you have no idea how to use them? Used to be if you got a guy like Dick Miller to show up in your movie for 5 minutes you gave him something everyone remembers like his gun seller in the original TERMINATOR ("Hey. Just whatcha see pal!"). Now you get Ferrigno looking lost and annoyed plopped randomly in front of a camera. This is a trend that seemed to start with Rob Zombie and his godawful HALLOWEEN remakes.

As all these thoughts flashed through my mind, the film rolled on. And then mercifully it was over. Dear SCORPION KING, please sequel no more and franchise not again.

Video/Audio/Extras:

Like the Chinese radio propagandist says in PORK CHOP HILL (a fine film I'll be reviewing for RSP! in upcoming happier times) welcome to the meat grinder. The 1080p AVC encoded 1.78:1 image presented here is a borderline shoddy affair with black crush making regular appearances and the two deadly M brothers (murky and muddy) being frequent visitors to the screen. Detail? Lame. And when the cgi kicks in the HD does a brutal job of exposing how poorly done it is. This could also have used a bit of judicious color timing.

The English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track trumps the poor video simply by being utterly forgettable. LFE and directional effects are singularly unimpressive but everything is correctly balanced and audible. Considering the dialog however that may be one for the minus books. Universal have also provided 5.1 tracks in French and Spanish and subtitle options.

Extras? Too. Damn. Many. The actor and director commentary is probably the only worthwhile thing on this woe begotten disc with actor Barry Bostwick revealing himself to be a very funny guy (who belongs in better movies). There's a certain amount of backslapping and delusion on display from director Mike Elliot about the quality of what's onscreen though but it's pleasant enough. This track also includes actors Ellen Hollman and Victor Webster in addition to the aforementioned Bostwick and Elliot. Then there is a completely superfluous EIGHTEEN MINUTE making of doc, an agonizing FIFTEEN MINUTES of outtakes and gulp, a gag reel (there ought to be a law against movies this bad having a gag reel).

The Final Word:

No sting in the tail. Avoid.

Click on the images below for full sized Blu-ray screen caps!

Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Hot Spur (Severin Films) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
    Released on: April 30th, 2024.
    Director: Lee Frost
    Cast: Joseph Mascolo, Virginia Goodman, John Alderman
    Year: 1969
    Purchase From Amazon

Hot Spur – Movie Review:

Director Lee Frost and Producer Bob Cresse's film, Hot Spur, opens in Texas in 1869 with a scene where a pair of cowboys wanders into a bar where they call over a pretty Mexican waitress and coerce her into dancing for them. She obliges, but
    03-22-2024, 11:53 AM
  • Death Squad (Mondo Macabro) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Mondo Macabro
    Released on: April 9th, 2024.
    Director: Max Pecas
    Cast: Thierry de Carbonnières, Jean-Marc Maurel, Denis Karvil, Lillemour Jonsson
    Year: 1985
    Purchase From Amazon

Death Squad – Movie Review:

Also known as Brigade Of Death, French sleaze auteur Max Pecas’ 1985 film, Death Squad, opens with a night time scene outside of Paris in the Bois de Boulogne Forest where cars pass by a small gang of transsexual
    03-22-2024, 11:46 AM
  • Roommates (Quality X) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Quality X
    Released on: February 28th, 2024.
    Director: Chuck Vincent
    Cast: Samantha Fox, Vernoica Hart, Kelly Nichols, Jerry Butler, Jamie Gillis
    Year: 1982
    Purchase From Amazon

Roommates – Movie Review:

Directed by Chuck Vincent and released in 1982, Roommates opens with a scene where a young woman named Joan Harmon (Veronica Hart) gets a hotel room with an older man named Ken (Don Peterson, credited as Phil Smith),
    03-15-2024, 01:10 PM
  • Night Of The Blood Monster (Blue Underground) UHD/Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Blue Underground
    Released on: March 26th, 2024.
    Director: Jess Franco
    Cast: Christopher Lee, Maria Rohm, Dennis Price
    Year: 1970
    Purchase From Amazon

Night Of The Blood Monster – Movie Review:

Directed by Jess Franco, The Bloody Judge (or, Night Of The Blood Monster, as it is going by on this new release from Blue Underground) isn't quite the salacious exercise in Eurotrash you might expect it to be, and while it
    03-15-2024, 01:07 PM
  • Phase IV (Vinegar Syndrome) UHD/Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Vinegar Syndrome
    Director: Saul Bass
    Cast: Nigel Davenport, Michael Murphy, Lynne Frederick, Alan Gifford, Robert Henderson, Helen Horton
    Year: 1974
    Purchase From Amazon

Phase IV – Movie Review:

Saul Bass’ 1974 sci-fi/thriller Phase IV is an interesting blend of nature run amuck stereotypes and Natural Geographic style nature footage mixed into one delicious cocktail of suspense and
    03-15-2024, 01:02 PM
  • The Bounty Hunter Trilogy (Radiance Films) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Radiance Films
    Director: Shigehiro Ozawa, Eiichi Kudo
    Cast: Tomisaburo Wakayama, Minoru Ôki, Arashi Kanjuro, Bin Amatsu, Chiezo Kataoka
    Year: 1969-1972
    Purchase From Amazon

The Bounty Hunter Trilogy – Movie Review:

Radiance Films gathers together the three films in Toie Studios’ Bounty Hunter Trilogy, starring the inimitable Tomisaburo Wakayama. Here’s how the three movies in this
    03-13-2024, 11:30 AM
Working...
X