• Massacre Gun

Released by: Arrow Video
    Released on: April 7th, 2015.
    Director: Yasuharu Hasebe
    Cast: Jo Shishido, Tatsuya Fuji, Jiro Okazaki
    Year: 1967
    Purchase From Amazon

The Movie:

1967's Japanese MASSACRE GUN (directed by Yasuharu Hasebe) has often been referred to an Asian noir. Shot in crisp black and white, much of the film seems longer on style than substance, but it nevertheless manages to leave quite an impression.

Hitman Ryuichi (Jo Shishido) has been ordered kill his mistress. The reasons are nebulous but the yakuza code leaves little room for negotiation on these matters. When mob boss Akazawa (Takashi Kanda) makes this demand, Ryuichi honors it despite his reservations. But the killer is visibly angered by this demand - something that his hotheaded younger brother Saburo (Jiro Okazaki) takes notice of. When Saburo has the nerve to confront the mob boss Akazawa about this matter, he is beaten to a pulp for his insolence. This is a bridge too far for Ryuichi however. Now, along with his other sibling Eiji (Tatsuya Fuji), the three brothers break off from the Akazawa crime family and begin a mob war with a primary focus of taking over the competition's business rackets.

MASSACRE GUN's narrative is quite straightforward. The plot tends to borrow liberally from many similar films. Tropes like the hotheaded brother and reluctant assassin are deployed but the film succeeds through solid performances and an abundance of style. This film is a visual feast that alternates beautiful imagery with startling and sometimes abrupt violence. The lighting is unusually striking and the set design immaculate.

The really interesting part of MASSACRE GUN though is its resolutely Japanese soul. The notion of family honor and loyalty has long been a staple of the mafia themed film or even its many gangster cousins from all over the globe. But while we usually picture mafiosos as full of extravagant gestures and loud voices and OTT manners, the Japanese tradition is much more focused on intense control in public and a notion of honor far more intense (at least on the surface). It's hard to read what's going on in Ryuichi's mind - he seems almost embarrassed that he's having anger issues over being ordered to kill his lover. It is only when his brother acts out inappropriately that the hitman is forced to act. Because blood IS thicker than even one's professional code in this world. And while this is hardly unique to Asian culture (remember Michael Caine in GET CARTER who seeks vengeance for a brother he disliked), the way the whole film plays out seems at times an homage to feudal Japanese values.

Director Hasebe has a very efficient style and keeps things moving briskly. Pacing is almost mechanical with any languid interludes quickly followed up with violent action. The jazz soundtrack is particularly effective and the final shoutout (brilliantly staged on a deserted motorway) is pitch perfect. Where MASSACRE GUN breaks the rules a bit is in its conclusion. It actually achieves some poignancy in the final frames.

Video/Audio/Extras:

Arrow's 1080p AVC 2.39:1 transfer is a strong affair. Black levels - crucial in B&W presentations - are nicely deep. Overall image detail is well rendered and digital corrections are absent. There is some minor print damage in the form of lines and specs but it is quite minor. Considering the amount of hazy and smoky shots in this film I'm quite pleased with what Arrow have accomplished here.

The audio is a Japanese DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 track that has limited range but no audible flaws. The gunshots sound a bit weak but that's part of the limitations you deal with with this period of film. English subtitles are provided as well of course.

Two interviews top the list of extras. The first is with Jo Shishido and isn't really MASSACRE GUN focused but more of a career retrospective. He's a fascinating guy though and anyone interested in his career will love this. Sadly, we learn that he had a terrible house fire and lost huge chunks of his film memorabilia at the end of the chat. The second talk is with film historian Tony Rayns who discusses the Nikkatsu corporation as well as giving an overview of Japanese films of the 1960's. Frankly, this is a mini history lesson at almost 40 minutes and essential viewing. Rayns is engaging, informative and interesting without ever being dull or dry. Finally you get a nice promotional gallery of stills and a theatrical trailer in HD.

The Parting Shot:

As far as Japanese crime films and Asian films of the 1960's go, MASSACRE GUN is pretty close to the top tier. Beautifully shot, with a simple but engaging narrative and some genuine tension, I throughly enjoyed it. Arrow have delivered a very good technical presentation and generous extras. Highly recommended.

Click on the images below for full sized Blu-ray screen caps!

• Jason C
      Jason C
      Jason C commented
      Editing a comment
      Your review nails my thoughts on MASSACRE GUN Horace. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's my favorite Japanese crime film so far. It's style and music were a feast for the senses and I love Shishido's character. Looking forward to delving into Tony Rayns interview. I watched the first few minutes and it's obvious I'll love every second of it.

I'll be picking up RETALIATION and will drag my feet a little less on Gangster VIP.
    Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• God’s Gun (Kino Lorber) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Kino Lorber
    Released on: February 22nd, 2022.
    Director: Gianfranco Parolini
    Cast: Lee Van Cleef, Jack Palance
    Year: 1976
    Purchase From Amazon

God’s Gun – Movie Review:

Directed by Gianfranco Parolini in 1976, quite late in the spaghetti western boom years, God's Gun (Diamante Lobo in Italy) introduces us to a bad, bad man named Sam Clayton (Jack Palance) who, along with his gang of equally bad, bad men, start wreaking
    04-17-2024, 12:10 PM
  • Hercules In The Haunted World (Kino Lorber) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Kino Lorber
    Released on: October 8th, 2019.
    Director: Mario Bava
    Cast: Christopher Lee, Reg Park, Leonora Ruffo, Gaia Germani
    Year: 1968
    Purchase From Amazon

Hercules In The Haunted World – Movie Review:

Directed by Mario Bava in 1961 and featuring a screenplay by Bava (and Sandro Continenza, Francesco Prosperi and Duccio Tessari), Hercules In The Haunted World (also known as Hercules At The Center Of The Earth and
    04-17-2024, 12:08 PM
  • The Shape Of Night (Radiance Films) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Radiance Films
    Released on: April 20th, 2024.
    Director: Noburo Nakamura
    Cast: Miyuki Kuwano, Mikijiro Hira
    Year: 1964
    Purchase From Amazon

The Shape Of Night – Movie Review:

Directed by Noburo Nakamura for Shochiko in 1964, ‘The Shape Of Night’ follows a young woman named Yoshie Nomoto (Miyuki Kuwano). In the opening scene, she’s working as a streetwalker on the outskirts of town and soon enough, she’s picked
    04-17-2024, 10:26 AM
  • Tormented (Film Masters) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Film Masters
    Released on: April 23rd, 2024.
    Director: Bert I. Gordon
    Cast: Richard Carlson, Juli Reding, Lugene Sanders, Susan Gordon
    Year: 1963
    Purchase From Amazon

Tormented – Movie Review:

The late Bert I. Gordon’s 1963 horror film, ‘Tormented,’ is an effectively spooky ghost story made with an obviously low budget but no less effective for it.

The story revolves around a professional piano player
    04-17-2024, 10:19 AM
  • Impulse (Grindhouse Releasing) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Grindhouse Releasing
    Released on: March 12th, 2024.
    Director: William Grefé
    Cast: William Shatner, Jennifer Bishop, Ruth Roman, Harold Sakata
    Year: 1974
    Purchase From Amazon

Impulse – Movie Review:

Directed by the one and only William Grefé, 1974’s Impulse is one of those rare films that allows you to witness what it would be like if a really sweaty William Shatner got mad at a lady carrying balloons. Before that
    04-15-2024, 01:20 PM
  • Lola (Severin Films) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
    Released on: April 30th, 2024.
    Director: Andrew Legge
    Cast: Emma Appleton, Stefanie Martini, Rory Fleck Byrne
    Year: 2022
    Purchase From Amazon

Lola – Movie Review:

Irish filmmakers Andrew Legge’s 2022 movie, ‘Lola’, which was made during Covid-19 lockdowns, is a wildly creative movie made in the found footage style that defies expectations, provides plenty of food for thought and manages to make
    04-10-2024, 04:09 PM
Working...
X