• Auteur

Released by MVD Visual
    Released on: April 21, 2015
    Directed by: G. Cameron Romero
    Cast: B.J. Hendricks, Ian Hutton, Madeline Meritt, Tom Sizemore
    Year: 2014
    Purchase From Amazon

The Movie:

Aspiring filmmaker Jack Humphrey (B.J. Hendricks) is tasked by his studio head father to track down the mysterious and elusive director Charlie Buckwald (Ian Hutton). It turns out, Buckwald was hired by the unnamed studio to direct the horror film, Demonic, and during post-production he went a little off his rocker and became paranoid. The paranoia led to Buckwald stealing the finished film and dropping off the grid. Jack sees this endeavor as an opportunity. He can turn his assignment into a documentary, thus securing his way into a big time Hollywood deal. The only problem, Buckwald may have a good reason to be paranoid. Something truly demonic happened on set and it may cost Jack his life.

Auteur is yet another low budget faux-documentary, and like so many others in the genre it is a failure. The film is completely illogical. In my opinion, the worst sin a film in this genre can commit is having scenes in which there is no way a camera could have been present, and Auteur is full of those sequences. The most egregious has to be when Buckwald is completely alone in a restroom. Not only is it unexplainable how this footage was shot, but for some reason we can hear his inner thoughts. How is this possible? I cannot understand how a filmmaker, wanting to utilize the documentary format for their fictional film, chooses to disregard the conventions and internal logic of a documentary. A film like Woody Allen's Zelig works so well precisely because it is so realistic as a documentary. The film is more convincing and the fantastic story elements are believable because Allen follows the internal logic of documentary filmmaking. To me, not following the conventions makes the filmmaker, in this case director G. Cameron Romero, seem lazy.

The film had other logical problems, as well. Jack kept reinforcing that Buckwald was his childhood idol, however Hutton cannot be much more than five years older than Humphreys. I also could not understand why a studio head would rather send their son to recover the studio's property instead of suing Buckwald to get their movie back. It is not like he was hard to find, Jack found him on the first day of his search.

Another area where Auteur was a failure was with the acting. The entire cast is beyond bad, local semi-professional theatre bad. Hutton's Buckwald is every tired cliché of a disturbed genius. He is jittery, loud, rambling, itchy, etc. Hendricks as Jack is worse. He has the same mildly surprised look on his face the entire film. It was as if Hendricks was wearing a 'Broseph' mask, complete with backwards baseball cap. Madeline Meritt played Kate, a demonically possessed actress. She was ridiculous in film, Romero's only direction for her may have been for her to act like a drunk floozy. She never seemed evil, just sexually excited. My favorite performance was from Tom Sizemore as himself. He's top billed but only appears for about 10 minutes. It is a hoot watching him babble about nothing. He spends most of his screen time yelling at and insulting Hendricks. Sizemore's scenes never feel like they are a part of the film. His presences feels like a total afterthought.

Perhaps my biggest problem with the film was the hyperbolic praise heaped upon Buckwald. Multiple characters in the film stated his was among the greatest director to have ever lived. I know Buckwald is a fictional character but this bugged me. I do not want to believe there is a world where the greats are Welles, Bergman, Ozu, and Charlie Buckwald. The praise did not come off a believable. Actors said their lines but we as viewers have no clue why he's so great. It is never explained what he did so well, the film's characters never give any sort of analysis of Buckwald's work. We just know he made horror films.

Auteur is a horrible film. Nothing in the film makes sense and every line of dialogue is spoken in the same uninterested, monotone delivery. At least the film can stand as proof that talent is not hereditary. Director G. Cameron Romero has none of the talents of his father, George Romero. If I was daddy dearest, I would be ashamed.

Video/Audio/Extras:

Auteur is brought to DVD by MVD Visual. The release has a decent 1.78:1 image. The film's low budget is exposed by its cinematography, it is uninteresting with flat, pedestrian lighting. Because of these faults the image would never look amazing. MVD Visual's release is probably as good as this film will ever look.

The audio is Dolby Digital stereo and it is serviceable but problematic. The dialogue was mixed very low and I had to turn up the sound a bit higher than normal to make everything audible. Like so many straight-to-video releases, the disc did not have subtitles, however they would have been nice.

The only extra is a short trailer.

The Final Word:

I cannot imagine anyone liking this film. Everything about Auteur is a mess. I suppose if you want to see an agitated Tom Sizemore insult a chubby frat boy then this is the film for you.

Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Hot Spur (Severin Films) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
      Released on: April 30th, 2024.
      Director: Lee Frost
      Cast: Joseph Mascolo, Virginia Goodman, John Alderman
      Year: 1969
      Purchase From Amazon

Hot Spur – Movie Review:

Director Lee Frost and Producer Bob Cresse's film, Hot Spur, opens in Texas in 1869 with a scene where a pair of cowboys wanders into a bar where they call over a pretty Mexican waitress and coerce her into dancing for them. She obliges, but
      03-22-2024, 11:53 AM
    • Death Squad (Mondo Macabro) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Mondo Macabro
      Released on: April 9th, 2024.
      Director: Max Pecas
      Cast: Thierry de Carbonnières, Jean-Marc Maurel, Denis Karvil, Lillemour Jonsson
      Year: 1985
      Purchase From Amazon

Death Squad – Movie Review:

Also known as Brigade Of Death, French sleaze auteur Max Pecas’ 1985 film, Death Squad, opens with a night time scene outside of Paris in the Bois de Boulogne Forest where cars pass by a small gang of transsexual
      03-22-2024, 11:46 AM
    • Roommates (Quality X) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Quality X
      Released on: February 28th, 2024.
      Director: Chuck Vincent
      Cast: Samantha Fox, Vernoica Hart, Kelly Nichols, Jerry Butler, Jamie Gillis
      Year: 1982
      Purchase From Amazon

Roommates – Movie Review:

Directed by Chuck Vincent and released in 1982, Roommates opens with a scene where a young woman named Joan Harmon (Veronica Hart) gets a hotel room with an older man named Ken (Don Peterson, credited as Phil Smith),
      03-15-2024, 01:10 PM
    • Night Of The Blood Monster (Blue Underground) UHD/Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Blue Underground
      Released on: March 26th, 2024.
      Director: Jess Franco
      Cast: Christopher Lee, Maria Rohm, Dennis Price
      Year: 1970
      Purchase From Amazon

Night Of The Blood Monster – Movie Review:

Directed by Jess Franco, The Bloody Judge (or, Night Of The Blood Monster, as it is going by on this new release from Blue Underground) isn't quite the salacious exercise in Eurotrash you might expect it to be, and while it
      03-15-2024, 01:07 PM
    • Phase IV (Vinegar Syndrome) UHD/Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Vinegar Syndrome
      Director: Saul Bass
      Cast: Nigel Davenport, Michael Murphy, Lynne Frederick, Alan Gifford, Robert Henderson, Helen Horton
      Year: 1974
      Purchase From Amazon

Phase IV – Movie Review:

Saul Bass’ 1974 sci-fi/thriller Phase IV is an interesting blend of nature run amuck stereotypes and Natural Geographic style nature footage mixed into one delicious cocktail of suspense and
      03-15-2024, 01:02 PM
    • The Bounty Hunter Trilogy (Radiance Films) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Radiance Films
      Director: Shigehiro Ozawa, Eiichi Kudo
      Cast: Tomisaburo Wakayama, Minoru Ôki, Arashi Kanjuro, Bin Amatsu, Chiezo Kataoka
      Year: 1969-1972
      Purchase From Amazon

The Bounty Hunter Trilogy – Movie Review:

Radiance Films gathers together the three films in Toie Studios’ Bounty Hunter Trilogy, starring the inimitable Tomisaburo Wakayama. Here’s how the three movies in this
      03-13-2024, 11:30 AM
    Working...
    X