• Tooken

Released by Cinedigm
    Released on: July 7, 2015
    Directed by: John Asher
    Cast: Lee Tergesen, Lauren Stamile, Reno Wilson, Margaret Cho
    Year: 2015
    Purchase From Amazon

The Movie:

Bryan Millers (Lee Tergesen) quit his job with the CIA for a slower, less intense job as a mall security guard. It seems Bryan's life has fallen apart, everything he loves has been taken away from him. His wife left him for another man, he's become estranged from his teenage daughter, he has developed erectile dysfunction, and his dogs keep getting blown up. After discovering Albanian arms dealers at the local Puppy Emporium pet store, Bryan begins to investigate. What he discovers will either kill him, or bring his family back together.

John Asher's Tooken is sort of a parody of the Taken series, although no one is really kidnapped. As a parody the film fails miserably, it is not funny nor clever. The film is successful, however, as a showcase for how bad the parody film has fallen over the last 20 or so years. It is amazing at how far this genre has decayed since its mid-1980s heyday. Long gone are the likes of Airplane!, The Naked Gun, and, my personal favorite, Top Secret!. Those films have given way to the lazy and unfunny Scary Movie series and the countless imitators that have followed. I am not sure what happened, but the mile-a-minute jokes of the earlier films have been replaced with so-called funny things, for example erectile dysfunction. Tooken does not feature funny wordplay or humorous situations, it just presents the audience with a "funny" thing, like a farting dog, and expects us to laugh.

One of the many disappointing things about the film is Tergesen and Cho are both pretty funny actors who are wasted. Tergesen, probably best remembered for his appearances in the Wayne's World film series, delivers a fine Liam Neeson impersonation, capturing the actor's intensity quite well. Cho is also good as the film's primary villain, Brown Finger, named so because he has a brown, poop stained finger, hardy har. For her performance Cho just recreates her acclaimed Kim Jong-Il character from 30 Rock. Reno Wilson, former Cosby Show cast member, also gives a solid performance as an ill-conceived, stereotypical thug character, Money Maker, the boyfriend of Millers' ex-wife. Despite a noticeable professionalism and screen presence, Wilson is let down by his character. Not only is it unfunny and dated, there is also an uncomfortable, slightly racist element to the way his relationship with Lenore Millers (Lauren Stamile) is portrayed onscreen. Money Maker, along with his much talked about “manhood”, are supposed to represent a threat to the manliness/supremacy of Bryan. However, this threat in manhood is overcome in the film's climax where Money Maker's forearm is torn off and Bryan is able to save his family thanks to the return of his massive, 4-foot long, erection. In the end, the black character is rendered not just impotent, but castrated by the loss of his forearm and the white character is able to reclaim his property, his ex-wife, and dominance. Maybe I am reading too much into the film, but this just felt like some sort of racial commentary. In addition, to this problem, Tooken features my all-time most hated character type, the crude and vulgar old person, here embodied by Bryan's mother Edna (Joyce Bulifant). I cannot express how much I hate characters of this type, I do not find them cute nor funny. Every time Bulifant appeared on screen and made a reference to an orgy I wanted to scream.

Director/co-writer Asher is probably best remembered for once bring married to Jenny McCarthy and for his role on the mid-90s Weird Science television series. With this film, Asher shows he is an awful director of comedy. One of his biggest problems is his lack of pacing and timing. Every “joke” in Tooken falls flat and the 81 minute running time feels like an eternity. Asher also seems to find objects showed up asses and hitting an injured person by opening a door to be hilarious as these actions happen repeatedly in the film. In Tooken's favor, I will complement the film's look. The film is glossy, well-shot, and the handful of action set pieces are surprisingly well done.

Video/Audio/Extras:

Cinedigm has given Tooken a better than deserved DVD release. The film's 2.35:1 image is crisp and clean, it gives the film the look of a more expensive movie. The Dolby 5.1 surround mix is really well done and the film sounds very good. Dialogue is never buried beneath the music or explosions and yet neither suffers of being mixed too low. The picture and sound quality, along with the better than expected special effects, give Tooken a polished sheen, it is amazing that a film can be as bad as this one and still be well made.

Tooken is given a handful of dumb extras. The first is a 16-minute behind the scenes documentary. The featurette is typical, lots of backstage laughs and comradery. The DVD also has an unfunny Cribs parody with Reno Wilson. Again, Wilson has a presence but what he's given is terrible. The features are rounded out by a set of deleted scenes which are so bad they had to be cut from this turd of a movie.

The Final Word:

Halfway through Tooken I began to wonder who was this film's audience. It cannot have been made for anyone over the age of 15, so I guess Asher was aiming for the 12-14 market. I have a hard time believing anyone associated with this film is proud of their work. I felt embarrassed for the actors. The faceless crew members can hide from Tooken, the cast will forever have their faces connected this junk. If the opportunity to watch Tooken should ever arise, please do not do it. Run away from this film, it is 81 minutes of your life which will be taken away.

Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Hot Spur (Severin Films) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
      Released on: April 30th, 2024.
      Director: Lee Frost
      Cast: Joseph Mascolo, Virginia Goodman, John Alderman
      Year: 1969
      Purchase From Amazon

Hot Spur – Movie Review:

Director Lee Frost and Producer Bob Cresse's film, Hot Spur, opens in Texas in 1869 with a scene where a pair of cowboys wanders into a bar where they call over a pretty Mexican waitress and coerce her into dancing for them. She obliges, but
      03-22-2024, 11:53 AM
    • Death Squad (Mondo Macabro) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Mondo Macabro
      Released on: April 9th, 2024.
      Director: Max Pecas
      Cast: Thierry de Carbonnières, Jean-Marc Maurel, Denis Karvil, Lillemour Jonsson
      Year: 1985
      Purchase From Amazon

Death Squad – Movie Review:

Also known as Brigade Of Death, French sleaze auteur Max Pecas’ 1985 film, Death Squad, opens with a night time scene outside of Paris in the Bois de Boulogne Forest where cars pass by a small gang of transsexual
      03-22-2024, 11:46 AM
    • Roommates (Quality X) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Quality X
      Released on: February 28th, 2024.
      Director: Chuck Vincent
      Cast: Samantha Fox, Vernoica Hart, Kelly Nichols, Jerry Butler, Jamie Gillis
      Year: 1982
      Purchase From Amazon

Roommates – Movie Review:

Directed by Chuck Vincent and released in 1982, Roommates opens with a scene where a young woman named Joan Harmon (Veronica Hart) gets a hotel room with an older man named Ken (Don Peterson, credited as Phil Smith),
      03-15-2024, 01:10 PM
    • Night Of The Blood Monster (Blue Underground) UHD/Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Blue Underground
      Released on: March 26th, 2024.
      Director: Jess Franco
      Cast: Christopher Lee, Maria Rohm, Dennis Price
      Year: 1970
      Purchase From Amazon

Night Of The Blood Monster – Movie Review:

Directed by Jess Franco, The Bloody Judge (or, Night Of The Blood Monster, as it is going by on this new release from Blue Underground) isn't quite the salacious exercise in Eurotrash you might expect it to be, and while it
      03-15-2024, 01:07 PM
    • Phase IV (Vinegar Syndrome) UHD/Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Vinegar Syndrome
      Director: Saul Bass
      Cast: Nigel Davenport, Michael Murphy, Lynne Frederick, Alan Gifford, Robert Henderson, Helen Horton
      Year: 1974
      Purchase From Amazon

Phase IV – Movie Review:

Saul Bass’ 1974 sci-fi/thriller Phase IV is an interesting blend of nature run amuck stereotypes and Natural Geographic style nature footage mixed into one delicious cocktail of suspense and
      03-15-2024, 01:02 PM
    • The Bounty Hunter Trilogy (Radiance Films) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Radiance Films
      Director: Shigehiro Ozawa, Eiichi Kudo
      Cast: Tomisaburo Wakayama, Minoru Ôki, Arashi Kanjuro, Bin Amatsu, Chiezo Kataoka
      Year: 1969-1972
      Purchase From Amazon

The Bounty Hunter Trilogy – Movie Review:

Radiance Films gathers together the three films in Toie Studios’ Bounty Hunter Trilogy, starring the inimitable Tomisaburo Wakayama. Here’s how the three movies in this
      03-13-2024, 11:30 AM
    Working...
    X