X
Collapse
  •  
    Mark Tolch

• Defiance

Released By: Kino Lorber
    Released On: August 25, 2015
    Director: John Flynn
    Cast: Jan-Michael Vincent, Theresa Saldana, Art Carney, Danny Aiello, Rudy Ramos
    Year: 1980
    Purchase From Amazon

The Movie:

Oh yeah. DEFIANCE. Back in the 80's, when Jan-Michael Vincent was the king, and I was all over First Choice/Superchannel for their R-Rated content, I saw this film 1000 times on the weekends I visited my dad, and let's just say that it was one of my favourites. Looking back at it now, even, I have no idea how this film bombed. A stellar cast, an amazingly effective director...DEFIANCE had all of the makings of a classic film.

Tommy (Jan-Michael Vincent) is bounced from his career as able-bodied seaman when he gets in an altercation with a higher-up, and finds himself stuck in the shitty city of 1980 New York, with no money and six months before he's reinstated. Hoping to land a job on a Panamanian ship, Tommy plays Spanish language lessons on vinyl, and spends the rest of his time painting lovely canvases of boats in his cheap-ass apartment down on the rough and nasty Lower East Side, a crime-filled neighbourhood that had seen better times. Thanks to the fire-escape culture of 1980's New York, he meets his upstairs neighbour Marsha, and Paolo, the streetwise kid who lives next door.

Unfortunately for Tommy, he happens to have landed in the area at the same time that the Savage Souls, a multi-racial gang steeped in multiple fashion traits, are exerting their fearsome authority. Led by Angel (Rudy Ramos), the Souls will stop at nothing to keep the neighbourhood under their control, obliterating anyone who tries to report them to the police. Running contrary to the Souls are The Sportsmen, a 60's gang steeped in leather-jacket culture and led by Carmine (Danny Aiello), desperate to regain their hold on the neighborhood and make the streets safe to walk again. When he steps up to The Souls and gets a savage beat-down, Tommy aligns himself with The Sportsmen, fighting his natural inclination to be a seaman, and realizes that the love of Marsha and the protection of his neighborhood are his new priorities. Will he ship out? Or will he stand up for the neighbourhood that's become his new home? With a title like DEFIANCE, there can be only one answer.

Exuding all of the confidence of any New York film made at the same time, Defiance is quintessential, displaying all of the characteristics that would later make Charles Bronson a superstar of the Cannon....errr...canon. Jan-Michael Vincent, already an alcoholic according to John Flynn, delivers a stunning performance, devoid of any of the flaws that would later make him one of stardom's saddest stories. Danny Aiello...who knew that he could be this good? The setting of 80's NYC, with its open fire hydrants, available fire escapes, burnt-out cars and buildings provides an able backdrop for all of the characters of DEFIANCE, including that guy known as Paulie from the Sopranos, and a mentally-damaged Luca Brazzi. The name of Jerry Bruckheimer is usually enough to ruin a film, but not in this case. Defiance is straight out 80's New York filmmaking, gangs and good guy complete, and it comes totally correct.

Video/Audio/Extras:

DEFIANCE comes to Kino Lorber Blu-ray in a 1.85:1 transfer, and from the opening AIP logo, it's amazing. Retaining crystal clarity, excepting the bevy of out of focus shots, the film presents a gritty NYC with no apologies, from fishes to switchblades. Black levels and clarity are done up nicely but never sacrifice the ugliness of the situation, retaining a grittiness that is commonly reserved for the back of your neck when it's summer in the city.

The DTS HDMA 2.0 track is...well, it's adequate. The dialogue is is clear. The soundtrack, however, is all over the place. Expect a heavy handed need to ride the remote control. Although it sounds like it's been cleaned up a fair bit, there is quite a bit of noise and other distractions on here, but not enough to ruin the enjoyment of the film.

A rad trailer for DEFIANCE and another one for VIGILANTE FORCE is also included.

The Final Word:

Awesome and Essential, DEFIANCE needs to be in your collection.

Click on the images below for full sized Blu-ray screen caps!

• Paul L
      Paul L
      Scholar of Sleaze
      Paul L commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got this in a preorder bundle with BUSTING. Looking forward to seeing both again. DEFIANCE is a particularly good little film.

• Paul L
      Paul L
      Scholar of Sleaze
      Paul L commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got this in a preorder bundle with BUSTING. Both are superb little films; I'm looking forward to seeing them both again. This has whetted my appetite even more :)

• Mark Tolch
      Mark Tolch
      Mark Tolch commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Paul L
      I've got this in a preorder bundle with BUSTING. Both are superb little films; I'm looking forward to seeing them both again. This has whetted my appetite even more :)
      It's really a cool film. Kino are awesome for releasing it on blu.
    Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Lisa Frankenstein (Universal Studios) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Universal Studios
    Released on: April 9th, 2024.
    Director: Zelda Williams
    Cast: Kathryn Newton, Cole Sprouse, Carla Gugino, Joe Chrest, Henry Eikenberry
    Year: 2024
    Purchase From Amazon

Lisa Frankenstein – Movie Review:

The feature-length directorial debut of Zelda Williams, 20214’s Lisa Frankenstein takes place in 1989 and follows a teenaged girl named Lisa Swallows (Kathryn Newton) who, two years ago, lost her mother
    04-03-2024, 03:40 PM
  • Spider Labyrinth (Severin Films) UHD/Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
    Released on: April 30th, 2024.
    Director: Gianfranco Giagni
    Cast: Roland Wybenga, William Berger, Stéphane Audran
    Year: 1988
    Purchase From Amazon

Spider Labyrinth – Movie Review:

Professor Alan Whitmore (Roland Wybenga) is an American who works as a Professor of languages studies and has a fascination bordering on obsession with translating pre-Christian religious texts. He was also locked in a closet
    04-03-2024, 03:37 PM
  • Special Silencers (Mondo Macabro) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Mondo Macabro
    Director: Arizal
    Cast: Barry Prima, Eva Arnaz, W.D. Mochtar
    Year: 1982
    Purchase From Amazon

Special Silencers – Movie Review:

When director Arizal’s 1982 epic begins, we meet a man named Gumilar (W.D. Mochtar), a sinister dude who has constantly bloodshot eyes. He’s meeting with a man about some sort of business deal, but a flashback shows us how some time ago he killed
    04-03-2024, 03:35 PM
  • The Playgirls And The Vampire (Vinegar Syndrome) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Vinegar Syndrome
    Released on: March 26th, 2024.
    Director: Piero Regnoli
    Cast: Walter Brandi, Lyla Rocco, Maria Giovannini, Alfredo Rizzo, Marisa Quattrini, Leonardo Botta
    Year: 1960
    Purchase From Amazon

The Playgirls And The Vampire – Movie Review:

Piero Regnoli’s 1960 goofy gothic horror, The Playgirls And The Vampire, revolves around a quintet of beautiful showgirls - Vera (Lyla Rocco), Katia (Maria Giovannini),
    04-03-2024, 03:30 PM
  • The Abandoned (Unearthed Films) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Unearthed Films
    Director: Nacho Cerdà
    Cast: Anastasia Hille, Karel Roden, Valentin Goshev
    Year: 2006
    Purchase From Amazon

The Abandoned – Movie Review:

Directed by Nacho Cerdà, who co-wrote with Richard Stanley and Karim Hussain, 2006's The Abandoned opens in Russia in 1966 where a poor family sits at the dinner table only to be interrupted when a large truck stops suddenly in front
    03-28-2024, 04:29 PM
  • Goodbye Uncle Tom (Blue Underground) UHD Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Blue Underground
    Released on: April 23rd, 2024.
    Director: Gualtiero Jacopetti, Franco Prosperi
    Cast: Stefano Sibaldi, Susan Hampshire, Dick Gregory
    Year: 1971
    Purchase From Amazon

Goodbye Uncle Tom – Movie Review:

In what has to be one of the most unexpected ‘special edition home video releases ‘of the year, Blue Underground brings to 4k UHD (and to a separate Blu-ray edition) both versions of the extremely controversial
    03-28-2024, 04:23 PM
Working...
X