X
Collapse
  •  
    Mark Tolch

• Defiance

Released By: Kino Lorber
    Released On: August 25, 2015
    Director: John Flynn
    Cast: Jan-Michael Vincent, Theresa Saldana, Art Carney, Danny Aiello, Rudy Ramos
    Year: 1980
    Purchase From Amazon

The Movie:

Oh yeah. DEFIANCE. Back in the 80's, when Jan-Michael Vincent was the king, and I was all over First Choice/Superchannel for their R-Rated content, I saw this film 1000 times on the weekends I visited my dad, and let's just say that it was one of my favourites. Looking back at it now, even, I have no idea how this film bombed. A stellar cast, an amazingly effective director...DEFIANCE had all of the makings of a classic film.

Tommy (Jan-Michael Vincent) is bounced from his career as able-bodied seaman when he gets in an altercation with a higher-up, and finds himself stuck in the shitty city of 1980 New York, with no money and six months before he's reinstated. Hoping to land a job on a Panamanian ship, Tommy plays Spanish language lessons on vinyl, and spends the rest of his time painting lovely canvases of boats in his cheap-ass apartment down on the rough and nasty Lower East Side, a crime-filled neighbourhood that had seen better times. Thanks to the fire-escape culture of 1980's New York, he meets his upstairs neighbour Marsha, and Paolo, the streetwise kid who lives next door.

Unfortunately for Tommy, he happens to have landed in the area at the same time that the Savage Souls, a multi-racial gang steeped in multiple fashion traits, are exerting their fearsome authority. Led by Angel (Rudy Ramos), the Souls will stop at nothing to keep the neighbourhood under their control, obliterating anyone who tries to report them to the police. Running contrary to the Souls are The Sportsmen, a 60's gang steeped in leather-jacket culture and led by Carmine (Danny Aiello), desperate to regain their hold on the neighborhood and make the streets safe to walk again. When he steps up to The Souls and gets a savage beat-down, Tommy aligns himself with The Sportsmen, fighting his natural inclination to be a seaman, and realizes that the love of Marsha and the protection of his neighborhood are his new priorities. Will he ship out? Or will he stand up for the neighbourhood that's become his new home? With a title like DEFIANCE, there can be only one answer.

Exuding all of the confidence of any New York film made at the same time, Defiance is quintessential, displaying all of the characteristics that would later make Charles Bronson a superstar of the Cannon....errr...canon. Jan-Michael Vincent, already an alcoholic according to John Flynn, delivers a stunning performance, devoid of any of the flaws that would later make him one of stardom's saddest stories. Danny Aiello...who knew that he could be this good? The setting of 80's NYC, with its open fire hydrants, available fire escapes, burnt-out cars and buildings provides an able backdrop for all of the characters of DEFIANCE, including that guy known as Paulie from the Sopranos, and a mentally-damaged Luca Brazzi. The name of Jerry Bruckheimer is usually enough to ruin a film, but not in this case. Defiance is straight out 80's New York filmmaking, gangs and good guy complete, and it comes totally correct.

Video/Audio/Extras:

DEFIANCE comes to Kino Lorber Blu-ray in a 1.85:1 transfer, and from the opening AIP logo, it's amazing. Retaining crystal clarity, excepting the bevy of out of focus shots, the film presents a gritty NYC with no apologies, from fishes to switchblades. Black levels and clarity are done up nicely but never sacrifice the ugliness of the situation, retaining a grittiness that is commonly reserved for the back of your neck when it's summer in the city.

The DTS HDMA 2.0 track is...well, it's adequate. The dialogue is is clear. The soundtrack, however, is all over the place. Expect a heavy handed need to ride the remote control. Although it sounds like it's been cleaned up a fair bit, there is quite a bit of noise and other distractions on here, but not enough to ruin the enjoyment of the film.

A rad trailer for DEFIANCE and another one for VIGILANTE FORCE is also included.

The Final Word:

Awesome and Essential, DEFIANCE needs to be in your collection.

Click on the images below for full sized Blu-ray screen caps!

• Paul L
      Paul L
      Scholar of Sleaze
      Paul L commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got this in a preorder bundle with BUSTING. Looking forward to seeing both again. DEFIANCE is a particularly good little film.

• Paul L
      Paul L
      Scholar of Sleaze
      Paul L commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got this in a preorder bundle with BUSTING. Both are superb little films; I'm looking forward to seeing them both again. This has whetted my appetite even more :)

• Mark Tolch
      Mark Tolch
      Mark Tolch commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Paul L
      I've got this in a preorder bundle with BUSTING. Both are superb little films; I'm looking forward to seeing them both again. This has whetted my appetite even more :)
      It's really a cool film. Kino are awesome for releasing it on blu.
    Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Hot Spur (Severin Films) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
    Released on: April 30th, 2024.
    Director: Lee Frost
    Cast: Joseph Mascolo, Virginia Goodman, John Alderman
    Year: 1969
    Purchase From Amazon

Hot Spur – Movie Review:

Director Lee Frost and Producer Bob Cresse's film, Hot Spur, opens in Texas in 1869 with a scene where a pair of cowboys wanders into a bar where they call over a pretty Mexican waitress and coerce her into dancing for them. She obliges, but
    03-22-2024, 11:53 AM
  • Death Squad (Mondo Macabro) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Mondo Macabro
    Released on: April 9th, 2024.
    Director: Max Pecas
    Cast: Thierry de Carbonnières, Jean-Marc Maurel, Denis Karvil, Lillemour Jonsson
    Year: 1985
    Purchase From Amazon

Death Squad – Movie Review:

Also known as Brigade Of Death, French sleaze auteur Max Pecas’ 1985 film, Death Squad, opens with a night time scene outside of Paris in the Bois de Boulogne Forest where cars pass by a small gang of transsexual
    03-22-2024, 11:46 AM
  • Roommates (Quality X) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Quality X
    Released on: February 28th, 2024.
    Director: Chuck Vincent
    Cast: Samantha Fox, Vernoica Hart, Kelly Nichols, Jerry Butler, Jamie Gillis
    Year: 1982
    Purchase From Amazon

Roommates – Movie Review:

Directed by Chuck Vincent and released in 1982, Roommates opens with a scene where a young woman named Joan Harmon (Veronica Hart) gets a hotel room with an older man named Ken (Don Peterson, credited as Phil Smith),
    03-15-2024, 01:10 PM
  • Night Of The Blood Monster (Blue Underground) UHD/Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Blue Underground
    Released on: March 26th, 2024.
    Director: Jess Franco
    Cast: Christopher Lee, Maria Rohm, Dennis Price
    Year: 1970
    Purchase From Amazon

Night Of The Blood Monster – Movie Review:

Directed by Jess Franco, The Bloody Judge (or, Night Of The Blood Monster, as it is going by on this new release from Blue Underground) isn't quite the salacious exercise in Eurotrash you might expect it to be, and while it
    03-15-2024, 01:07 PM
  • Phase IV (Vinegar Syndrome) UHD/Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Vinegar Syndrome
    Director: Saul Bass
    Cast: Nigel Davenport, Michael Murphy, Lynne Frederick, Alan Gifford, Robert Henderson, Helen Horton
    Year: 1974
    Purchase From Amazon

Phase IV – Movie Review:

Saul Bass’ 1974 sci-fi/thriller Phase IV is an interesting blend of nature run amuck stereotypes and Natural Geographic style nature footage mixed into one delicious cocktail of suspense and
    03-15-2024, 01:02 PM
  • The Bounty Hunter Trilogy (Radiance Films) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Radiance Films
    Director: Shigehiro Ozawa, Eiichi Kudo
    Cast: Tomisaburo Wakayama, Minoru Ôki, Arashi Kanjuro, Bin Amatsu, Chiezo Kataoka
    Year: 1969-1972
    Purchase From Amazon

The Bounty Hunter Trilogy – Movie Review:

Radiance Films gathers together the three films in Toie Studios’ Bounty Hunter Trilogy, starring the inimitable Tomisaburo Wakayama. Here’s how the three movies in this
    03-13-2024, 11:30 AM
Working...
X