No announcement yet.

I SLEPT WITH JOEY RAMONE A Family Memoir

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  
    Jeremy Wallace

• I SLEPT WITH JOEY RAMONE A Family Memoir

I Slept With Joey Ramone is the biography of Jeffry Hyman (Joey Ramone) as told through the eyes of his kid brother Mitchell Lee Hyman (Mickey Leigh) with help from punk journalist legend Legs Mc Neil.
    Joey Ramone is one of the greatest and most underappreciated singers in rock history. His 6' 5” frail frame would dominate the brightly lit stage with his band mates surrounding him while his unique voice filled the venue. What some people and fans do not realize is the mental and physical struggles that plagued Joey his entire life. Joey suffered deeply with OCD. The disease had almost become debilitating at times preventing Joey from being able to leave the house. One night during their childhood Joey was in the bathroom while Mickey lay in bed trying to sleep. Joey was attempting to wash his glasses under the faucet. He would obsessively turn the faucet on and off over and over again for two hours straight. Mickey recalls having to through a shoe at the door and scream at his older brother to stop. Joey would often struggle with simple things like crossing the street. He would stay on the curb continually placing one foot on the street then back up and the curb. He would do this until it “felt right”. Once it “felt right” he would dart across the street not even caring about the traffic. Cars would have to slam on brakes and swerve often barely missing him. But his disease was powerful that brushes with death took a back seat the voices in his head. Joey would continue to suffer from this disease until the day he passed away.

The book also tells the story of the formation of The Ramones in a unique insider way. Mickey goes into brutal details about the drug use, the inner fighting and Johnny's militant control of the band. The picture of Johnny that Mickey paints is one of a heartless bastard that could give a fuck less about anything other than Johnny himself. Mickey tells stories of Johnny smacking the shit out of all his girlfriends, friends and even strangers.

Mickey's insight and knowledge of the early punk scene is another highlight of this book. He talks some about those early bands, CBGB's and how The Ramones interlaced with the picture. Being an under paid roadie for The Ramones in the early years, Mickey was behind the scenes and witnessed many great untold stories that he divulges in the book.

I Slept With Joey Ramone is a must read for any fan of The Ramones, fans of Punk Rock and music fans in general. Mickey Leigh leaves it all on the table for everyone to read. It is a gut wrenching story that at times is hysterical, sad, exhilarating, but consistently powerful. Jeffry Hyman overcame a mountain of setbacks to become Joey Ramone, the man who saved rock n' roll. This is his story.
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

Working...
    X