Name:	brixtoncover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	383613

Released By : Surfdog Records/WEA
    Released On : 11/09/2004
    Cast : Brian Setzer, Lee Rocker, Slim Jim Phantom

The Movie:

Do you remember the first time you heard Long Island rockabilly heroes Stray Cats? For me, it was back in 1984, when I swiped my mom's double Solid Gold album (probably for the Ray Parker Jr hit “Ghostbusters”), and played the first track.... a song called, “Rock This Town”. To say that I was instantly a fan would be accurate. In the age of manufactured New Romantics and mediocre one-hit wonders, Stray Cats were a welcome breath of fresh air...little did I know that they were reviving a sound that had been around since the dawn of rock 'n' roll.

Flash forward 20 years, when fans of the group had some new reasons to be stoked...the group announced a summer European tour, featuring all three original members (Brian Setzer, Lee Rocker, and Slim Jim Phantom), playing the hits that made them famous back in the 80's, as well as a few rockabilly gems to round out their set. It was also announced that the July 17 show at the Brixton Academy in London would be recorded for a brand new, first ever officially sanctioned, Stray Cats live DVD.

Shot on HD video, and using an almost unheard of seven cameras, Stray Cats : Rumble In Brixton captures not only the songs, but also the atmosphere and excitement in the sold out crowd and on stage. The set list features 21 songs, ranging from Stray Cats classics like, “Rumble In Brighton, Stray Cat Strut, Rock This Town, Fishnet Stockings, Runaway Boys, and Something's Wrong With My Radio”, mixed with rockabilly standards like “Double Talkin' Baby and Twenty Flight Rock”. The Cats also rip through a rockin' version of, “My Baby Left Me” (Arthur Crudup) that features doghouse bass King Lee Rocker on vocals.

The camera direction on this disc is stellar...all three members of the band get equal screen time, and musicians will get a number of chances to see close-up shots of Lee, Brian, and Jim playing their respective instruments. Having seven cameras is definitely a bonus, as the angle constantly changes, adding a chaotic edge to the presentation and enhancing the ambience of the show. The sound mix is perfect, with every instrument represented sufficiently, but doesn't have the over-produced sound that makes most live DVDs sound flat and unnatural.
    As a Stray Cats fan and musician, I cannot hype this disc enough. As any collector knows, Stray Cats videos and live footage have only been available in overpriced, low-quality bootleg editions up until now. Being that this is an authorized release, the Cats have been involved with every aspect of the DVD, ensuring that their fans are getting the best possible product for their money.

Video/Audio/Extras:

Most sites on the internet are reporting that the video is presented in full frame, and I'm happy to report that they're wrong. It's nice to see a band take an interest in the quality of their product, and this is definitely one hell of a product! With an aspect ratio of 1.78:1, enhanced for widescreen televisions, this is one of the best-looking concert DVDs I've ever seen. The color palette is evenly balanced and never saturated, and the black levels are striking. The stage lighting is excellent, skin tone is very natural looking, and there's none of the harsh glare that plagues most live DVDs. There's also no evidence of artifacting or edge-enhancement, and the HD video source provides a crisp look throughout.

Once again, attention to detail is a beautiful thing. The audio on this disc is fantastic, and comes in the form of two separate audio tracks. For music purists, the disc features an uncompressed stereo PCM track that sounds amazing. For fans of surround tracks, the disc also features a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix that will give your system a workout and a half. The separation is extremely well done, and evenly balanced. The dynamic range is impressive for a live disc...the whine of the bridge pickup on Setzer's multitude of Gretsch guitars is every bit as powerful as Lee's pounding bass and Slim Jim's kick drum. There is no hiss or distortion, and the mix between vocals, guitar, drums and bass left this viewer with no complaints.

The disc really shines in the Extra Features section. First up is a feature called Flashback, which takes a look at the Cats early TV appearances in an interesting way...it's a montage of old video clips synched to the band's hit, “Stray Cat Strut”. It's great fun to watch the band as they were featured on numerous TV shows from all over the world, and even more fun to watch the hairstyles of each band member evolve.

Next up is European Tour 2004 (Behind The Scenes). This featurette starts in Los Angeles and shows the band rehearsing for the tour. Lee Rocker shows off his bass and gives a brief demonstration of slapping technique, Jim explains his drum setup, and talks a bit about the history of the band. Guitarists will wince in pain as Brian “modifies” his Gretsch Black Falcon into the “Triumph” featured prominently during the concert segment. There's also backstage and live performance footage from the various venues on the tour. Lots of shots of the fans are also featured, but the best part of the featurette is watching the chemistry between the band members. At just over 20 minutes long, this featurette is full of amazing footage, and well worth repeat viewings.

A segment called Mystery Train Kept A Rollin' rounds out the disc. Clocking in at just over 11 minutes, this clip documents the creation of the first new Stray Cats song since 1991, “Mystery Train Kept A Rollin'”. The camera follows the Cats through the recording process, starting with Setzer playing a rough version of the song on acoustic guitar while Rocker and Phantom add their input, and then shows the band in the studio, recording the track. The clip ends with the band standing at the control desk in the lower left corner of the screen, while numerous morphing images of Stray Cats flyers and pictures flash across the screen, and the finished version of “Mystery Train Kept A Rollin'” plays. It's a real treat to hear a new Stray Cats song, and watching the creative process is an added bonus.

There's also an Easter Egg on this disc...I'm not going to tell you how to get there...hell, it's all over the internet anyways, but it's a cool little segment that's worth watching.

Also worth noting is the packaging of the DVD. The case insert, noticeably missing from most discs these days, is a 24-page color booklet, with pictures from the 2004 tour, magazine covers, and promotional material. The liner notes are written by Tommy Maguire, friend of Setzer and former webmaster of www.briansetzer.com, and they detail one fan's first experience in discovering the Stray Cats' music, and the excitement of seeing the band bring it back again.

The Final Word:

A phenomenal rockabilly band gets a phenomenal DVD release. Not just for Stray Cats fans, Rumble In Brixton is sure to please any fan of rockabilly music. Get your copy from http://www.surfdogrecords.com, and check out a bunch of other cool music, including live CDs of every Stray Cats show from the 2004 European tour.

Thanks very much to Tommy Maguire for all of his help with the information contained in this review.
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

Working...
    X