chad
    haha "member"

• Founding Fathers Funnies

Founding Fathers Funnies
    Released by: Dark Horse Comics
    Released on: February 24th, 2016.
    Written & Illustrated by: Peter Bagge
    Purchase From Amazon

I'm a longtime fan of Peter Bagge's writing and art as well as being a history buff so when Bagge tackled Revolutionary War Era America in a collection of short stories, I was totally on-board with that!

Founding Fathers Funnies originally appeared as short stories in the back of Bagge's Apocalypse Nerd. Those shorts have all been collected here in this 86 page collection along with some new stories and Bagge's notes on these figures. This is a brisk little collection as that 86 pages also includes 5 pages of the aforementioned notes .

Our founding fathers gave us this wonderful country of ours but they weren't mythical beings who deigned to walk among us mere mortals, they were regular guys who found themselves living in an extraordinary time in history. They were guilty of all the same sins we suffer from and Bagge casts a hilarious light on them in this collection. We get everyone from Thomas Paine to Paul Revere, Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr, Thomas Jefferson and the Virginia Mafia, George and Martha, Ben Franklin, the whole damn Adams family, they're all here.

Some of the stories that stuck out to me were Thomas Paine (in the ass) and for all his philosophical grandstanding, he was a dick that nobody wanted around. The story about John Adams sharing his ambassador duties in France with Ben "party time" Franklin was a laugh riot as well, Adams and his wife were quite prudish Yankees whereas Franklin was taking full advantage of the alcohol and ladies Paris had to offer.

Actually, every story with Franklin is hilarious especially the story about him coming up with Poor Richard's Almanac and the mischief he caused with his work. The story of John Paul Jones' adventures up to and including the war are also included and funny as fuck. There's a story about George Washington reading some pamphlets that dare criticize him that wouldn't feel out of place in an Archie comic and I mean that in the best possible way.

The two most entertaining characters in this collection are Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson, Hamilton is become a bit of a hip historical figure due to that new musical and he comes across in this collection as a brilliant forward-thinking man with wonderful ideas and a big heart. Unfortunately he is also arrogant and reckless with his words and his unsheathed sword (if you catch my drift). Jefferson is just a jerk, he wants the good life but he also wants to grow the country and he and Hamilton butt heads throughout the collection.

I really enjoyed this collection and plan to revisit it moving forward. As I mentioned at the beginning of the review I love Bagge's art and his humorous style just add extra laughs to an already rib tickling collection.

Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

Working...
    X