• True Grit (2010)

True Grit
    Potentially a musing not on God’s justice but, rather, God's mercy, the Coens’ take on the story of True Grit is a multi-layered improvement on the previous John Wayne vehicle.

From the opening text from Proverbs to the final, lingering closing shot, accompanied by mostly instrumental-only versions of old hymns, the Coens' take on the True Grit story isn't about revenge but, rather, living in a space where humanity is allowed to strive for balance.

But there's a smart sense of humor here as the 3 very different characters play out this "extra" reality. Bridges is, yet again, incredibly solid and Damon is a great foil for him. But full credit is due to newcomer as Hailee Steinfeld as Mattie Ross who has to carry the majority of the film. She's just exceptional, showing drive and determination while also allowing the audience to witness the loss of innocence as she crosses over to this side of the world, forever changed, forever marked.

The performances here are all rock-solid, especially Bridges as Cogburn and Steinfeld as Mattie. Carter Burwell’s hymn-inspired score and fantastic cinematography yet again from Roger Deakins add greatly to the mood of sparseness where characters seem to be on the fringes of moral existence, held only by their certainty in the rightness of their actions.

Rating: B+
  • Recent Article Comments Widget

plainview1981

Psycho Cop Returns

It's like a mix of Die Hard, Manic Cop and Bachelor Party.

It's an early 90's slasher with a... Go to last post

plainview1981 04-23-2017 06:39 PM
    Gary Banks

Vampire Bat, The

I'm really looking forward to this one as 99% of the PD offerings looked like shit. Plus I would... Go to last post

Gary Banks 04-23-2017 02:32 PM
    Johan Iversen

Women in Cellblock 9

I actually like this one a lot. Pretty women, and Howard Vernon looks so damn sleazy in it! Go to last post

Johan Iversen 04-21-2017 07:05 PM
    Ian Jane

Psycho Cop Returns

Lemme know what you think - it's a lot of trashy dumb fun. Go to last post

Ian Jane 04-21-2017 10:53 AM
    Jason C

Psycho Cop Returns

Being filmed in '93 had me on the fence with this one. I love slashers but that late in the cycle... Go to last post

Jason C 04-21-2017 10:27 AM