X
Collapse
  •  
    Mark Tolch

• Destiny (Der Müde Tod)

Released By: Kino Lorber
    Released On: August 30, 2016
    Director: Fritz Lang
    Cast: Lil Dagover, Walter Janssen, Bernhard Goetzke, Rudolf Klein-Rogge, Hans Sternberg
    Year: 1921
    Purchase From Amazon

The Movie:

I'll be the first to admit that I am not the target viewer for silent films. I have almost zero experience with them, I generally find the lack of speech to be disorienting, and the tinting process used in lieu of colour causes my brain to react in a way that I find unpleasant. I am not a scholar of film, I am not a film historian, or an intellectual. I'm just a guy who likes movies, watches a lot of them, and likes to talk about them. So when I got a hold of Fritz Lang's 1921 film Destiny (Der Mí¼de Tod, or The Weary Death), I was afraid that I had taken on more than I could handle, and that visual metaphors and other symbolism would crest the top of my skull effortlessly while I wrestled to keep my brain focused on processing the lack of dialogue and abnormal colour scheme. Fortunately, all intellectual content aside, Destiny provides an interesting and compelling story with a curious aesthetic that can be enjoyed by even the casual viewer.

A horse-drawn carriage approaches a crossroads, carrying a soon-to-be-wed young couple and an old woman with a goose. Mirth and merriment ensue as the young man ties his handkerchief around the goose's eyes so that he can steal kisses from his bride-to-be, but a swirl of mist and leaves up ahead indicates that something sinister may be on the horizon. Sure enough, the carriage stops to let the elderly goose-keeper and her charge off, and a rather frightening pale figure clad in black climbs aboard for the ride. The buggy pulls into a small town, and young passengers alight, headed for the local pub that is already occupied by a number of local dignitaries; including the Mayor, the local Vicar, and a Physician. The figure in black, meanwhile, has fittingly opted to head over to the cemetery, where he asks the grave-digger about an adjoining parcel of land, finding that it's controlled by the dignitaries and allocated to future expansion of the cemetery. The dignitaries scoff somewhat at the idea of selling the land, but are swayed by the stranger's presentation of a number of gold coins, agreeing to lease the parcel for ninety-nine years.

Venturing into the realm of the fantastic, the man in black somehow erects a massive stone wall around his new lease, a wall devoid of entryways, windows, or any other point of access. Returning to the Golden Unicorn the new landowner joins the young couple for a drink, frightening the girl when his drink somehow morphs into an hourglass that is rapidly running out of time. She flees to the kitchen and finds comfort in the arms of many kittens and a cuddly dachshund, but when she returns to the table, her fiance is gone. Following a bizarre and dreamlike path of irrational trail markers brings the young lady to the realization that the stranger is Death, and her man has passed from the land of the living, but she finds a solution in the Apothecary; reading that "Love is Stronger Than Death" and taking a potion to bring her within the walled confines of Death's new home.

In a simultaneously touching and horrific scene, Death shows her the burden of his duties, snuffing the life from an infant like a candle flame as its mother sobs uncontrollably. Describing his task as "a curse", Death presents three lit candles, each symbolizing a situation where love will fail in the face of mortality. If, Death says, love can emerge triumphant in any of these situations, he will restore the life of her man. What follows are three stories of love doomed to fail within the film, each given the full Lang treatment and attention to detail; an Arabian Princess in Baghdad, in love with an outsider infidel that the Caliph has ordered executed for violating their holy place of worship; a star-crossed pair in Venice at Carnival time, where a young woman's lover has incurred the wrath of one of her other suitors, a man of influence with the local authorities; and the assistant of famous Chinese magician, who becomes the object of desire and then vengeance of a vicious Emperor who will not accept her love for another man.

Dripping with imagery, each scene in Destiny offers eye-candy both beautiful and dark, with Lang's style dripping in each frame. Oversized candles, giant clocks, and stark, contrasty, ominous shots abound, and though it's not quite as...Germanic...as Lang would later be known for with the release of Metropolis, it radiates bleakness and cold. The now-primitive special effects add a slightly different dynamic, peppering the film with a fantastic, surreal atmosphere, and Lang's decision to humanize Death, giving him some compassion, rounds out the picture nicely, giving it an otherworldly dynamic that offsets the dark...and more than likely shocking at the time...subject matter contained in each of the stories.

While the main cast in the film(s) exist mostly in exaggerated caricature form, which was the style at the time, not enough good things can be said about Bernhard Goetzke, who plays Death. Goetzke drips with darkness in every scene, and the backdrops that Lang places him in amplify that menace tenfold. The drawback to this is that Goetzke destroys every scene that he's in and reduces every actor he shares frame with to just shy of insignificant, and although he comes across as capital E evil, the few scenes where he shows compassion allow him the equivalent of a wry smile and a subtle wink to the camera. Finally, the newly-commissioned score, written by Cornelius Schwehr, performed by the Berlin Rundfunk Symphony Orchestra, accompanies the film in a fine and non-intrusive manner, subtly adding to the atmosphere of the film.

Video/Audio/Extras:

Kino Lorber Classics brings Destiny to Blu-ray in a 1.33:1 AVC-encoded transfer that's sure to both marvel and generate conversation. The result of a 2K restoration commissioned by the Murnau Foundation, Destiny looks great for its age, acknowledging, of course that with the original negatives long gone and the fact that it's coming up on a century old, that there will be a number of visual flaws present during viewing. As such, a missing frame here and there and the occasional vertical line show up, as well as flickering, etc. Dirt and debris are present at moments, but detail is strong for the most part, and the picture is clear. Overall, Destiny looks fantastic, the result of the pooling of resources of prints, title cards, scripts and notes worldwide. Though some may nitpick the decision to digitally tint and tone certain scenes in certain ways, this is really quite the accomplishment, and it's safe to say, a major upgrade in terms of quality from existing versions.

The newly-commissioned score by Cornelius Schwehr, performed by the Berlin Rundfunk Symphony Orchestra (Conductor Frank Strobel) is more than adequately presented via an LPCM 2.0 track. Dynamic range is wonderful, and the score sounds beautiful. Again, some purists may take issue with it, but it sounds great.

English Subtitles are available for the German intertitles, title cards, etc.

Kino has provided a look at the Restoration Demonstration Footage (15:38), a feature I'd regarded as useless and unimpressive on earlier Kino titles, but this one is a little more in depth and provides insight into how and why Destiny looks as it does. A number of sequences are shown in a side-by-side comparison, with subtitles describing the processes used to tint, tone, and stabilize the image, and the source behind the reasoning. It gets a little repetitive after five minutes, but is worth watching.

A 2016 Re-Release trailer is also provided.

Another supplement on the disc comes courtesy of a feature-length commentary by Tim Lucas (Video Watchdog and many other publications). Lucas has a wealth of information to share, discussing some of the shooting locations of the film and mentioning more recent films shot in the same location, and also providing brief biographies of some of the major players. He also deconstructs some of the special effects present in the film, and analyzes Lang's potential motives for presenting the film as he does. However, it's quite obvious that this commentary is scripted, and trying to take in so much info when delivered in a somewhat dreary and scholarly tone takes its toll after the first chapter, as Lucas throws out some pretty far-fetched connections and even takes some opportunity to describe what's happening on the screen. The man obviously knows his stuff, but the verbal delivery is frustrating, suggesting that a more loosely-scripted approach might be the way to go.

The Final Word:

Lang's Destiny makes its way to Blu-ray with an ambitious and awe-inspiring transfer that brings new life to a historic piece of art. Fans of silent films and completists, rejoice!

Click on the images below for full sized Blu-ray screen caps!

• Mark Tolch
      Mark Tolch
      Mark Tolch commented
      Editing a comment
      As I said in the review, my experience with silent films is limited, so I'm definitely not an expert, but given that so many different sources were required to restore the film, I thought it looked pretty solid. Amazes me that we have access to these close to century old creations, available digitally. I can't even find the CD that my band recorded 10 years ago.

• C.D. Workman
      C.D. Workman
      C.D. Workman commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha! Good point, Mark. I love silent horror films. Writing the two volumes of TOME OF TERROR that cover the silent era has been my favorite part of the series so far. There are sooooooo many left to discover!

• Mark Tolch
      Mark Tolch
      Mark Tolch commented
      Editing a comment
      I am so unfamiliar with them, I should probably check some out.
    Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Hot Spur (Severin Films) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
    Released on: April 30th, 2024.
    Director: Lee Frost
    Cast: Joseph Mascolo, Virginia Goodman, John Alderman
    Year: 1969
    Purchase From Amazon

Hot Spur – Movie Review:

Director Lee Frost and Producer Bob Cresse's film, Hot Spur, opens in Texas in 1869 with a scene where a pair of cowboys wanders into a bar where they call over a pretty Mexican waitress and coerce her into dancing for them. She obliges, but
    03-22-2024, 11:53 AM
  • Death Squad (Mondo Macabro) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Mondo Macabro
    Released on: April 9th, 2024.
    Director: Max Pecas
    Cast: Thierry de Carbonnières, Jean-Marc Maurel, Denis Karvil, Lillemour Jonsson
    Year: 1985
    Purchase From Amazon

Death Squad – Movie Review:

Also known as Brigade Of Death, French sleaze auteur Max Pecas’ 1985 film, Death Squad, opens with a night time scene outside of Paris in the Bois de Boulogne Forest where cars pass by a small gang of transsexual
    03-22-2024, 11:46 AM
  • Roommates (Quality X) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Quality X
    Released on: February 28th, 2024.
    Director: Chuck Vincent
    Cast: Samantha Fox, Vernoica Hart, Kelly Nichols, Jerry Butler, Jamie Gillis
    Year: 1982
    Purchase From Amazon

Roommates – Movie Review:

Directed by Chuck Vincent and released in 1982, Roommates opens with a scene where a young woman named Joan Harmon (Veronica Hart) gets a hotel room with an older man named Ken (Don Peterson, credited as Phil Smith),
    03-15-2024, 01:10 PM
  • Night Of The Blood Monster (Blue Underground) UHD/Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Blue Underground
    Released on: March 26th, 2024.
    Director: Jess Franco
    Cast: Christopher Lee, Maria Rohm, Dennis Price
    Year: 1970
    Purchase From Amazon

Night Of The Blood Monster – Movie Review:

Directed by Jess Franco, The Bloody Judge (or, Night Of The Blood Monster, as it is going by on this new release from Blue Underground) isn't quite the salacious exercise in Eurotrash you might expect it to be, and while it
    03-15-2024, 01:07 PM
  • Phase IV (Vinegar Syndrome) UHD/Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Vinegar Syndrome
    Director: Saul Bass
    Cast: Nigel Davenport, Michael Murphy, Lynne Frederick, Alan Gifford, Robert Henderson, Helen Horton
    Year: 1974
    Purchase From Amazon

Phase IV – Movie Review:

Saul Bass’ 1974 sci-fi/thriller Phase IV is an interesting blend of nature run amuck stereotypes and Natural Geographic style nature footage mixed into one delicious cocktail of suspense and
    03-15-2024, 01:02 PM
  • The Bounty Hunter Trilogy (Radiance Films) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Radiance Films
    Director: Shigehiro Ozawa, Eiichi Kudo
    Cast: Tomisaburo Wakayama, Minoru Ôki, Arashi Kanjuro, Bin Amatsu, Chiezo Kataoka
    Year: 1969-1972
    Purchase From Amazon

The Bounty Hunter Trilogy – Movie Review:

Radiance Films gathers together the three films in Toie Studios’ Bounty Hunter Trilogy, starring the inimitable Tomisaburo Wakayama. Here’s how the three movies in this
    03-13-2024, 11:30 AM
Working...
X