Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	383716

Released by: Direct Video
    Released on: 6/25/2004
    Director: Edward L. Cahn
    Cast: Fats Domino, Lisa Gaye, Sterling Holloway, Raymond Hatton, Touch Conners, Margaret Dumont
    Year: 1956
    Purchase From Amazon

The Movie:

Ah, the 50s. I wasn't around for them, but I sure like to pretend I was by starting off my reviews with phrases like 'ah, the 50s.' If the makers of Shake, Rattle And Rock! are to be believed, and they're not, it was a decade where good natured kids just wanted to cut loose and dance to good time music. Things haven't changed all that much since then, as I still like to cut loose and dance to good time music myself, but whereas the kids in this movie danced to Fats Domino, I like to shake it to the thunderous music of Manowar.

But enough about me and my fancy footwork. What's this movie about, I hear you all shout in a unified voice of anger? Well, somewhere in Smalltown U. S. A., a group of concerned parents are doing their gosh darndest to put a stop to rock and roll. It seems that they have reason to believe that it leads to nothing but juvenile delinquency and bad table manners.

Not everyone is a square though. Nope. A TV announcer and a popular radio DJ rally behind the kids who just wanna rock, and start doing their part to convince the concerned parents of the town that rock and roll is a-ok. Those concerned parents are a stubborn bunch though and it all ends up in a televised court battle where, in order to clear their name, the defense calls on Fats Domino and Joe Turner who strut their stuff to win everyone over to the side of rock and roll.

Video/Audio/Extras:

The film looks like it was shot 1.33.1 and that's how it is shown here. Overall this is a pretty clean transfer with minimal print damage and nice contrast levels. The blacks are nice and deep and don't break up much. Edge enhancement is there, but never a real problem and for the most part, things look quite nice.

We have a Dolby Digital Mono track here, in English, which is its original sound format. While the mix is a little low, it's nothing that turning the volume up on your receiver can't fix. Once you've done that, sure it sounds a little tinny in a few places but for the most part sound quality on this release is fine. Background music is balanced nicely against the dialogue and the sound effects never seem to overshadow any of the other sounds. There are optional Dutch subtitles available on this release as well.

Included on the disc are a few trailers for other films in the Arkoff Film Library - The She Creature, War Of The Colossal Beast, Voodoo Woman, The Undead, The Spider, The Brain Eaters, Blood Of Dracula and Reform School Girl. Rounding out the supplements is an audio interview with Arkoff from 1991, recorded at an appearance that he made at the National Film Theater. Pictures play underneath the discussion as a sort of slide show, as the late producer talks candidly about his life and his work. If you've seen any of the other films in the series and these extras seem similar, that's because they are.

The Final Word:

Shake, Rattle and Rock! is good dumb fun. Turn your brain off going in and enjoy this goofy time capsule for what it is.

Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Deep In The Heart (Fun City Editions) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Fun City Editions
      Released on: April 2nd, 2024.
      Director: Tony Garnett
      Cast: Karen Young, Clayton Day
      Year: 1983
      Purchase From Amazon

Deep In The Heart– Movie Review:

Helmed by British filmmaker Tony Garnett, 1983’s Deep In The Heart (released as Handgun internationally) stars Karen Young as a young woman named Kathleen Sullivan who makes the move from a small town in Massachusetts to Dallas, Texas to take a new
      05-24-2024, 04:33 PM
    • Taija Rae Triple Feature
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Alpha Blue Archives
      Released on: April 16th, 2024.
      Director: Henri Pachard
      Cast: Taija Rae, Kelly Nichols, Rhonda Jo Petty, Renee Summers, Ginger Lynn
      Year: 1985/1984/1984

Taija Rae Triple Feature – Movie Review:

Alpha Blue Archives offers up three of the beautiful Taija Rae’s movies from her eighties prime on one triple feature DVD. Born Tianna Reilly in 1962, she was an energetic and enthusiastic actress with plenty
      05-24-2024, 04:30 PM
    • The Indian Runner (Kino Lorber) Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Kino Lorber
      Released on: October 24th, 2017.
      Director: Sean Penn
      Cast: Viggo Mortensen, Patricia Arquette, Charles Bronson, Valeria Golina
      Year: 1991
      Purchase From Amazon

The Indian Runner – Movie Review:

Sean Penn's directorial debut, based on a script he wrote inspired by Bruce Springsteen's song Highway Patrolman stars David Morse as Roberts, the deputy sheriff in a small Midwestern town. He lives with his wife
      05-20-2024, 03:58 PM
    • Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense (A24) UHD Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: A24
      Released on: May 8th, 2024.
      Director: Jonathon Demme
      Cast: Talking Heads
      Year: 1984
      Purchase From Amazon

Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense – Movie Review:

Directed by Jonathon Demme and released in 1984, Stop Making Sense arrives on UHD from A24, remastered in 4k just in time for the concert film’s 40th anniversary. Probably best known for featuring front man David Byrne dancing like a lunatic in a giant puffy
      05-17-2024, 03:11 PM
    • Deathdream (Blue Underground) UHD/Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Blue Underground
      Released on: May 21st, 2024.
      Director: Bob Clark
      Cast: John Marley, Lynn Carlin, Richard Backus, Henderson Forsythe, Anya Ormsby, Jane Daly
      Year: 1974
      Purchase From Amazon

Deathdream – Movie Review:

Also known as Dead Of Night, 1974's Deathdream, directed by the late, great Bob Clark and written by Alan Ormsby (who also wrote Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things, directed by Clark shortly before
      05-09-2024, 11:07 AM
    • Killer Klowns From Outer Space (Shout! Studios) UHD/Blu-ray Review
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      by Ian Jane

Released by: Shout! Studios
      Released on: May 14th, 2024.
      Director: Stephen Chiodo
      Cast: Grant Cramer, Suzanne Snyder, John Allen Nelson, John Vernon, Michael Siegel, Peter Licassi
      Year: 1988
      Purchase From Amazon

Killer Klowns From Outer Space – Movie Review:

A legitimate cult classic if ever there was one, The Chiodo Brothers' 1988 film Killer Klowns From Outer Space starts when Mike (Grant Cramer) and his girlfriend Debbie (Suzanne
      05-07-2024, 04:44 PM
    Working...
    X