• Poughkeepsie Tapes, The

Released by: Shout! Factory
    Released on: October 10th, 2017.
    Director: John Erick Dowdle
    Cast: Ben Messmer, Samantha Robson, Stacy Chbosky
    Year: 2007
    Purchase From Amazon

The Movie:

Directed by John Erick Dowdle who co-wrote with his brother Drew, 2007's The Poughkeepsie Tapes was to be distributed by MGM but for some reason that never happened. It saw a limited VOD release in 2014 but hasn't been until now that the movie has been given a proper home video release.

The film posits itself as a documentary that examines a serial killer active through the 1990s as her operates in and around Poughkeepsie, New York and parts of Pennsylvania. The killer, Ed Carver (Ben Messmer), videotaped pretty much all of his exploits and when the documentary begins we learn that there was over 2400 hours of footage. As we hear from F.B.I. agents, police, victim's family members and other people related to the case, we cut back and forth from these interviews to footage from the tapes that the F.B.I. recovered.

We first see Carver abduct an eight year old girl off of the front lawn of her family home and later learn that he raped her - a recurring theme throughout the movie, often times with some necrophilia thrown in for good measure. From there, he poses as a stranded motorist only to take out the couple that was kind enough to help him. The man is killed, the women is given a c-section, her husband's head placed inside her stomach. It gets worse from there as he then kidnaps Cheryl Dempsey (Stacy Chbosky) after breaking into her home and brutally killing her boyfriend. He keeps Cheryl alive and plays mind games with her, turning her into a slave that only exists to please her master. As the authorities start closing in on Carver, he changes tactics so that he can continue his twisted game.

There's on issue with this movie that might bug some more than others - the tapes that the F.B.I. recovered? Anytime we cut to that footage there's a loud short blast of white noise before the footage plays and when it does, it's framed at 1.78.1 and clearly shot on DV. The filmmakers have degraded the picture, added some video noise and some tape roll and toyed around with the colors, but for those who remember consumer grade VHS quality, it'll be pretty obvious that this is not what we're seeing here. Aside from that technical issue, however, the movie is really pretty well done. The news cast footage seems almost legitimate, the movie is quite well edited and it feels like a real documentary most of the time and the pacing is pretty solid.

The performances are also quite good. There are a few spots where Messmer comes close to going over the top in his more manic scenes, but then, these are manic scenes, so it makes sense in the context of character he's playing. Stacy Chbosky is pretty believable here too, playing a truly sympathetic character and bringing a genuine sense of pathos to Cheryl.

Video/Audio/Extras:

The Poughkeepsie Tapes arrives on Blu-ray from Shout! Factory in an AVC encoded 1080p high definition transfer framed at 1.85.1 widescreen. The 'documentary' footage shot for the movie looks nice and detailed, it shows good color reproduction and solid black levels and it generally looks just fine. The found footage aspect of the film, made to look like older VHS tapes, is intentionally degraded for that reason. So here the picture wobbles and a bit and goes soft, colors fade in and out, etc.. It works in the context of the story behind told, however. The authoring is fine, there are no problems with any compression artifacts or edge enhancement to note.

The only audio option on the disc is an English language DTS-HD 2.0 Stereo track. Optional subtitles are provided in English only. No issues here, the audio is clean, clear, crisp and well balanced. Again, some of the 'found footage' has been intentionally degraded for artistic effect so it's obviously less than perfect but there are no problems here.

Extras kick off with a new interview featuring writer/director John Erick Dowdle and writer/producer Drew Dowdle. They talk about how they got into filmmaking, how did what behind the camera (they shared a lot of duties), their writing process, where some of the inspiration for the feature came from and more. Shout! Factory has also included an interview with actress Stacy Chbosky who speaks about her experiences on set, her relationship with the Dowdle brothers (she's married to John Erick), her thoughts on the characters she plays and on the feature itself as well as a fair bit more.

Outside of that there's a theatrical trailer for the feature, menus and chapter selection. As this is a combo pack release a DVD version of the movie is also included.

The Final Word:

The Poughkeepsie Tapes is now finally available in a proper home video release thanks to Shout! Factory. The movie looks and sounds quite good and the interviews are both interesting and worthwhile. As to the movie itself? It's quite well done despite a few issues - it's occasionally disturbing and frequently quite tense.

Click on the images below for full sized Blu-ray screen caps!

• Gary Banks
      Gary Banks
      Gary Banks commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been wanting to see this for a while but I don't want to spend the bucks for it. Too bad it isn't available for rental.

• Jack J
      Jack J
      Jack J commented
      Editing a comment
      I got hold of a bootleg of The Poughkeepsie Tapes back when nobody wanted to release the film, and in my view it's not a precious gem but a pretty mediocre film. Some of the acting and dialogue is on par with Zombie '90 (ouch!). And as someone who does remember how video tapes looked back in the day; it is pretty annoying that the film makers seem to think that the picture quality of all video tapes is so worn that they are almost about to disintegrate before your very eyes. Very few of my video tapes (3000+) from the '80s and '90s have picture quality that look like what we see in this film. I know I'm being nerdish here and nobody could care less but I find it annoying. :cuckoo:

• Paul L
      Paul L
      Scholar of Sleaze
      Paul L commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Jack J
      I got hold of a bootleg of The Poughkeepsie Tapes back when nobody wanted to release the film, and in my view it's not a precious gem but a pretty mediocre film. Some of the acting and dialogue is on par with Zombie '90 (ouch!). And as someone who does remember how video tapes looked back in the day; it is pretty annoying that the film makers seem to think that the picture quality of all video tapes is so worn that they are almost about to disintegrate before your very eyes. Very few of my video tapes (3000+) from the '80s and '90s have picture quality that look like what we see in this film. I know I'm being nerdish here and nobody could care less but I find it annoying. :cuckoo:
      I watched a boot about ten years ago too, Jack, and am in complete agreement with you. The 'worn' videotape aesthetic was tiring and unconvincing, and the whole enterprise was okay... but just okay. Nothing more than that.

I'm in no great hurry to see it again.
    Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Impulse (Grindhouse Releasing) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Grindhouse Releasing
    Released on: March 12th, 2024.
    Director: William Grefé
    Cast: William Shatner, Jennifer Bishop, Ruth Roman, Harold Sakata
    Year: 1974
    Purchase From Amazon

Impulse – Movie Review:

Directed by the one and only William Grefé, 1974’s Impulse is one of those rare films that allows you to witness what it would be like if a really sweaty William Shatner got mad at a lady carrying balloons. Before that
    04-15-2024, 01:20 PM
  • Lisa Frankenstein (Universal Studios) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Universal Studios
    Released on: April 9th, 2024.
    Director: Zelda Williams
    Cast: Kathryn Newton, Cole Sprouse, Carla Gugino, Joe Chrest, Henry Eikenberry
    Year: 2024
    Purchase From Amazon

Lisa Frankenstein – Movie Review:

The feature-length directorial debut of Zelda Williams, 20214’s Lisa Frankenstein takes place in 1989 and follows a teenaged girl named Lisa Swallows (Kathryn Newton) who, two years ago, lost her mother
    04-03-2024, 03:40 PM
  • Spider Labyrinth (Severin Films) UHD/Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Severin Films
    Released on: April 30th, 2024.
    Director: Gianfranco Giagni
    Cast: Roland Wybenga, William Berger, Stéphane Audran
    Year: 1988
    Purchase From Amazon

Spider Labyrinth – Movie Review:

Professor Alan Whitmore (Roland Wybenga) is an American who works as a Professor of languages studies and has a fascination bordering on obsession with translating pre-Christian religious texts. He was also locked in a closet
    04-03-2024, 03:37 PM
  • Special Silencers (Mondo Macabro) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Mondo Macabro
    Director: Arizal
    Cast: Barry Prima, Eva Arnaz, W.D. Mochtar
    Year: 1982
    Purchase From Amazon

Special Silencers – Movie Review:

When director Arizal’s 1982 epic begins, we meet a man named Gumilar (W.D. Mochtar), a sinister dude who has constantly bloodshot eyes. He’s meeting with a man about some sort of business deal, but a flashback shows us how some time ago he killed
    04-03-2024, 03:35 PM
  • The Playgirls And The Vampire (Vinegar Syndrome) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Vinegar Syndrome
    Released on: March 26th, 2024.
    Director: Piero Regnoli
    Cast: Walter Brandi, Lyla Rocco, Maria Giovannini, Alfredo Rizzo, Marisa Quattrini, Leonardo Botta
    Year: 1960
    Purchase From Amazon

The Playgirls And The Vampire – Movie Review:

Piero Regnoli’s 1960 goofy gothic horror, The Playgirls And The Vampire, revolves around a quintet of beautiful showgirls - Vera (Lyla Rocco), Katia (Maria Giovannini),
    04-03-2024, 03:30 PM
  • The Abandoned (Unearthed Films) Blu-ray Review
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    by Ian Jane

Released by: Unearthed Films
    Director: Nacho Cerdà
    Cast: Anastasia Hille, Karel Roden, Valentin Goshev
    Year: 2006
    Purchase From Amazon

The Abandoned – Movie Review:

Directed by Nacho Cerdà, who co-wrote with Richard Stanley and Karim Hussain, 2006's The Abandoned opens in Russia in 1966 where a poor family sits at the dinner table only to be interrupted when a large truck stops suddenly in front
    03-28-2024, 04:29 PM
Working...
X