Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Satan - Live At Saint Vitus, Brooklyn, New York, October 12, 2018.

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  
    Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Satan - Live At Saint Vitus, Brooklyn, New York, October 12, 2018.

Hey, remember concerts? Concerts were fun. Covid-19 has kind of completely fucked concerts for the time being, who knows when we'll get to enjoy live music again, so with that in mind, why not relive past glories through pictures of concerts from days past? Last week we looked back at some very fuzzy memories of the time Electric Eel Shock played Sabala's in Portland, Oregon on July 11th, 2006. Fourteen fucking years ago but this week, we don't need to set the time travel dial back quite so far geographically or timeline-wise.

On October 12th, 2016, New Wave Of British Heavy Metal legends Satan rolled into Brooklyn's now legendary metal club, Saint Vitus. It was the same night that my eldest son was supposed to arrive in New York for visit and the opportunity to be the youngest guy at a metal show. One Amtrak/tractor tailer incident later, and the kid wasn't going to make it until way too early the next morning, but he was safe and sound (which was most important) and so I ate his ticket and went off with a few pals to enjoy a rare appearance from one of the most underrepresented bands of the NWOBHM movement in a genuinely intimate setting that really means a lot to the NYC metal scene.

There was an opener, but I don't recall who they were and in fact am fairly certain that we didn't get there in time enough to see them. We did, however, catch all of Satan's set that night and, bathed entirely in purple light, can bear witness to the fact that it was quite the glorious heavy metal experience. They played a mix of classics from their early albums Court In The Act and Into The Future but so too did they offer up a few choice cuts from their most recent offering, 2018's Cruel Magic (which is an excellent record for those who have yet to hear it) and even 2015's Atom By Atom.

Vocalist Brian Ross, who does double duty with Blitzkrieg these days, was in fine form, feeding off of the crowd's energy and hitting all the right notes at all the right moments. Steve Ramsey and Russ Tippins killed it on guitar, while bass player Graeme English and drummer Sean Taylor kept the lower end in check. They might not have reinvented the wheel that night, but it was nothing less than a stellar onslaught of traditional heavy metal delivered with all the passion and glory you could hope for. My kid missed it, but really, I wasn't going to win any 'Parent Of The Year' awards for taking him to see a band called 'Satan' anyway, and he got to see Ross The Boss the next time he was here, which should have more than made up for it.

Concerts are still rad and I still miss them. Anyway, here are a bunch of very purple pictures taken on my phone.

• Andrew Monroe
      Andrew Monroe
      Pallid Hands
      Andrew Monroe commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you sure that wasn't Deep Purple? Looks like a great venue to see band, nice and intimate. Satan is one band I would love to see at some point.

• Ian Jane
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      Ian Jane commented
      Editing a comment
      They were supposed to play in Brooklyn again last month with Night Demon, but it was understandably cancelled.

And if you ever make it to NYC, you have to hit Saint Vitus, Andrew. Their love for metal is pure!

• Andrew Monroe
      Andrew Monroe
      Pallid Hands
      Andrew Monroe commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I've even heard of Saint Vitus down here. I've been to NYC but not Brooklyn. I will get back there one day though and hopefully there will be a good band playing.
    Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

Working...
X