Page 95 of 96 FirstFirst ... 458593949596 LastLast

Thread: Random FRANCO Ramblings...

Quote Originally Posted by BW Haggar View Post
    I'd been planning to follow this up in 2020 with a visit to Cascais in Portugal (along with a slightly less glamorous 'These are the Damned' location tour to Weymouth in Dorest), but sadly those are off the menu for the time being.
    Off topic, but I enjoyed reading your thoughts on The Shuttered Room. I have a soft spot for that film as I've drunk in the Shipwright's Arms at Oare Creek a few times over the years. Giant fucking rats there!

I went to Weymouth five years ago, there's still a lot recognisable from The Damned. Plus good fish and chips.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Thanks so much - really glad you enjoyed my writing on 'The Shuttered Room'. And yeah, it's the distinctive locations that really help make that movie work. Would be nice to see it get a bit more love and/or a re-release.

And yes, aside from all the other bad things it has wrought, I'm especially sad that the pandemic led to my annual trip to the seaside getting cancelled. Hopefully Weymouth and Portland Bill will still be there when things are, ahem, "back to normal".

Having finally gotten around to seeing Kino's release of Neurosis I must say I found it a little more involving that when I first watched it entitled as Revenge in the House of Usher some years back. It's a complete mishmash of three different filming dates (1982, 1984, 1988) and shows it. Certainly not prime Franco, but worth another watch and Tim Lucas' commentary is good as always. A real shame the workprint that's been recently found of most of the 1984 version couldn't be included.
    "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

"Some roads you shouldn't go down."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse 77 View Post
    Having finally gotten around to seeing Kino's release of Neurosis I must say I found it a little more involving that when I first watched it entitled as Revenge in the House of Usher some years back. It's a complete mishmash of three different filming dates (1982, 1984, 1988) and shows it. Certainly not prime Franco, but worth another watch and Tim Lucas' commentary is good as always. A real shame the workprint that's been recently found of most of the 1984 version couldn't be included.
    Hopefully someone releases it in an english friendly release in Europe.

Excited (and more than a bit nervous to be perfectly honesty) to share this piece that I recently wrote that Diabolique Magazine was kind enough to host centered on the still controversial, final, digital period of Franco's work. As the title suggests, this isn't meant to be a surgical dissection of every film from '99 to '12, but rather an overview of what I personally felt were some key titles and why I feel this era is critical to the Franco story as a whole and with the benefit of hindsight becomes even more admirable. Hope you get something out of it.

https://diaboliquemagazine.com/dr-fr...Uci8iyMm6IEt3c
    Vortice Mortale - Latest post: The Devil in Miss Jones 3-5 (Gregory Dark, 1986-1995)

Great idea for an article, it's certainly not the high point of his career but it is a very interesting one.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark View Post
    Excited (and more than a bit nervous to be perfectly honesty) to share this piece that I recently wrote that Diabolique Magazine was kind enough to host centered on the still controversial, final, digital period of Franco's work. As the title suggests, this isn't meant to be a surgical dissection of every film from '99 to '12, but rather an overview of what I personally felt were some key titles and why I feel this era is critical to the Franco story as a whole and with the benefit of hindsight becomes even more admirable. Hope you get something out of it.

I did watch a good amount of his digital movies and found only Snakewoman (Tender Flesh less so) to be a consistently watchable film. That said, I didn't see the final few digital films and would love to check out the Alligator Ladies final two-fer.

Well written article, by the way!
    Last edited by Dark Horse 77; 11-09-2020 at 07:13 PM. Reason: .
    "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

"Some roads you shouldn't go down."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark View Post

Nice stuff, Tom. I have to admit that as much of a Franco film as I am, I struggle with those late-career digital movies. Nice to read something thoughtful about them, though. You've spurred me on to revisiting some of these.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Great read there Tom. I need to watch more later era Franco. Only seen Tender Flesh,Lust for Frankenstein and Mari-Cookie.

Also thought this article was great--a nuanced take on some difficult films. I'm susceptible to the historical resonances that accrue over time--1980s SOV horror was mostly a miserable slog to me as a kid more or less contemporaneous to it, and now it plays with these added layers because the visual texture so viscerally invokes the feelings of an entirely different, now far distant, era, and I suspect Franco's One Shot work will (maybe already has--haven't seen these in years) fare similarly. I've been reading Thrower's second volume very slowly--luxuriating in it rather than racing through, with extended time-outs to (re)watch films as he covers them, then flashback viewings to wherever that leads--but I suspect when I reach this era, I'll do some revisiting too.