Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mahakaal (Bollywood Nightmare On Elm Street)

Quote Originally Posted by Scyther View Post
    I hope that I can get there one day, because they stop all those movies cold for me these days! Even those soundtrack comps of "Bollywood Funk" don't do it for me, apart from some choice cuts. Maybe if I watch enough, it'll all click.
    The musical interludes are a bit hard for me to take as well. It was so random and inappropriate that it was amusing the first time it happened, but not so much by the third song. And it's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember with all the musical padding the movie was really long. 2 hours plus is more time than I wanted to spend on a Bollywood Nightmare clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Headless Body View Post
    The musical interludes are a bit hard for me to take as well. It was so random and inappropriate that it was amusing the first time it happened, but not so much by the third song. And it's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember with all the musical padding the movie was really long. 2 hours plus is more time than I wanted to spend on a Bollywood Nightmare clone.
    That's another thing: THE FUCKING LENGTH. It's one thing if I'm watching a two hour movie with tons of character development, set pieces and plot, but when you're stretching out an exploitation movie or B-flick just to fit in those fucking annoying musical interludes with singing and dancing? I'm out.

To be fair.. a lot of the newer Bollywood movies have either
    a) Made better songs or
    b) cut down the songs AND length of the movies.

I guess their target audience live this 'everthing and the kitchen sink' approach..which took even ME good while to get used to......which was mostly down to Mr Ian Jane's constant referral of good Bollywood movies that got me to overcome my weariness... (though i DO still need a break in the middle where i stop the dvd and come back to it later ....occasionally!)
    Last edited by sukebanboy; 07-10-2015 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sukebanboy View Post
    I guess their target audience live this 'everthing and the kitchen sink' approach
    That's a big part of it, it's a cultural thing. Indian audiences want the music, the romance, the action, the drama, the whatever and they seem to want a lot more of it than western audiences do. Hence the longer running times and the song and dance numbers.

I think a lot of the appeal to me of stuff like this is just that though - the different cultural slants that you get from Indian films that you just don't get from western movies, though having said that the lines are starting to blur lately.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    That's a big part of it, it's a cultural thing. Indian audiences want the music, the romance, the action, the drama, the whatever and they seem to want a lot more of it than western audiences do. Hence the longer running times and the song and dance numbers.

I think a lot of the appeal to me of stuff like this is just that though - the different cultural slants that you get from Indian films that you just don't get from western movies, though having said that the lines are starting to blur lately.
    That's the big reason why I want to keep trying, because I've learned so much about other cultures from watching their cinema, especially Italy, so maybe it'll click one day.

Oh..I am sure it will click someday....and then its too late...u will be addicted!!!..

If you want a more 'universal' Indian film that is easier to get into...try EEGA....its amazing!!

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/c....php?3299-Eega
    Last edited by sukebanboy; 07-11-2015 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by killer must kill again View Post
    been a few years since I last watched them but I think the statue thing is kind of a "ramsay trademark". in a way most of them end in a cavern/temple and there's always some statue standing in the background ...
    Looks kinda familiar....

Name:  CJL9TjXWgAAmOGn.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  21.0 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Those still after the Mondo Macabro Bollywood Horror sets may be interested in this:

"OOP SALE MONDAY, NOV 9, 3:30 pm PST! BOLLYWOOD HORRORS! NUDE PRINCESSES! SNAKE DANCERS, JACK THE RIPPERS, and more!"

http://mondomacabro.bigcartel.com/products?page=2
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    Oh snap, there go my savings! Will buy Bollywood Horror 3 no matter the cost, or even if it's a DVD-R reprint. Also, interesting about the hinted Assault! Jack the Ripper. That means Mondo still have the rights, which probably makes the rumored Synapse BD release, well just a rumor. Or maybe Mondo's rights are just about to expire, and they do a really limited reprint. Or MAYBE Mondo still own DVD rights while Synapse own BD rights. Anyway, in all probability the pre-order for Lizard in a Woman's Skin will also be up. Such an expensive month. :/
    Kristi kraft betvingar dig

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    The big question: When is this in Central European Time? These will probably go fast, if prices on eBay are an indication, and I will be right there updating the page like a lunatic.
    Kristi kraft betvingar dig