Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters Remake

Well if it didn't work with women, let's try children...

Animals next.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

It's odd to me how much current entertainment relies on nostalgia triggers seeing as how nostalgia requires prolonged absence. You can't miss something if it never goes away and yet I get the impression that we're supposed to feel a certain amount of sentimentality seeing the ghost trap and the Ecto-1 and all that. Get online for ten minutes and you're likely to see something Ghostbuster related without even trying. Walk into Target and you can probably grab a Slimer Funko Pop off the shelf. Seeing these dufus kids find all this hoo hah does nothing for me because I see the fucking Ecto-1 every time I go to a fucking comic book convention.

I'm not going to bother checking but I'm sure that as I type this someone on YouTube is compiling a "23 EASTER EGGS YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED IN THE NEW GHOSTBUSTERS TRAILER!!!" video full of screen caps of Rubiks Cubes and pictures of Harold Ramis in the background of a shot and all that bullshit.
    Last edited by Toyboy; 12-09-2019 at 09:48 PM.
    Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

It's exhausting watching all the energy that goes into forcing these IPs down our collective throats. It's had the opposite effect on me and has made me resent most of these things I once loved and I have to remind myself that the original movies can still be fun; Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Terminator, Alien, Back to the Future etc., but I've long reached my saturation point and they just don't capture my imagination anymore. If I never get to watch any of them again I will be ok.

The part that annoys me (and I admit I'm easily annoyed) is all the grown-ass people that will try and convince me it's good. They might be good I just don't care.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

This looks like a reasonable reboot. They are wisely trying to appeal to a new generation, while trying not to piss off the original fans too much. It looks like something you could take your kids or nephews to see and possibly make you smile a few times as well. I know it's hard to accept because we grew up with the originals, but these movies aren't necessarily being marketed to us anymore. There's certainly going to be a weird mixture of people in the audience for this one: cynical middle-aged men and lots of kids.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    They are wisely trying to appeal to a new generation...these movies aren't necessarily being marketed to us anymore.
    I get that, and I'm certainly not mad at a new generation getting their own version of any property. It seemed to me though, and obviously this is subjective, that the aim of that trailer was to stir up wistful reactions to these artifacts, which would be fine if there was some real distance in time from when we last saw them. We did just see all this stuff though. We saw it all in the reboot, in the Halloween episode of Stranger Things, in the video games, toys, etc... That stuff has never been out of our line of vision so to build a trailer around the rediscovery of all of it falls flat for me, but I'm very likely in the minority there. I work 6 or 7 comic book conventions a year and the people who go to them are more than happy to repurchase and consume the same stuff over and over. It's the way of the world.

I recently had this epiphany about the band KISS and their never ending farewell tour..for a long time I couldn't understand why their fans continued to follow them and give them money. To me the luster had worn off back in 2000 - the reunion tour and the two that followed with the original 4 guys gave me the nostalgia jolt I needed. That iteration of the band had indeed gone away for 15 years at that point so it was a genuine return and I was happy to have that back in my life for 4 or 5 years but then it was time for me to move on. But a switch was flipped after 9/11 (hear me out). Americans began regressing and holding on to anything that gave them comfort with a death grip. We all wanted our security blankets and with the internet pop culture shifted into a new era of "EVERYTHING YOU'VE EVER WANTED, ALL THE TIME!" The entertainment industry was given the marching orders to push pacifiers in all our mouths. "You want more Star Wars? You'll never not have Star Wars. Are you hipper than that and need to quadruple dip on Suspiria? Here's a remake AND a new restoration!" It's a constant nostalgia feed into our brains.

The other day I was in line at the grocery store and I saw that they were selling little snack packs of frosting for you to squirt in your mouth. My mom used to have a saying about candy and cookies and soda pop - "Those are treats, not treatments." These movies just feel like treatments to me.
    Last edited by Toyboy; 12-10-2019 at 02:30 PM.
    Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Ghostbusters Cats!
    Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate

I'm looking forward to it. I reckon going with kids is a really fun way to reboot the franchise. Of course I said the same thing about replacing the cast with women and look at how that turned out. Terminator, Aliens etc are just doing the same story over and over. I respect whoevers in charge of GB for trying to mix it up a bit.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    I'm looking forward to it. I reckon going with kids is a really fun way to reboot the franchise. Of course I said the same thing about replacing the cast with women and look at how that turned out.
    With GHOSTBUSTERS 2016, the issues weren't with the vimmin but with the writing and the toilet humour. I liked Kate McKinnon in that picture and if she'd been surrounded by other comic actors (ie, not McCarthy and Wiig), with a better script, the concept could have worked out.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Toyboy View Post
    I get that, and I'm certainly not mad at a new generation getting their own version of any property. It seemed to me though, and obviously this is subjective, that the aim of that trailer was to stir up wistful reactions to these artifacts, which would be fine if there was some real distance in time from when we last saw them. We did just see all this stuff though. We saw it all in the reboot, in the Halloween episode of Stranger Things, in the video games, toys, etc... That stuff has never been out of our line of vision so to build a trailer around the rediscovery of all of it falls flat for me, but I'm very likely in the minority there. I work 6 or 7 comic book conventions a year and the people who go to them are more than happy to repurchase and consume the same stuff over and over. It's the way of the world.

I recently had this epiphany about the band KISS and their never ending farewell tour..for a long time I couldn't understand why their fans continued to follow them and give them money. To me the luster had worn off back in 2000 - the reunion tour and the two that followed with the original 4 guys gave me the nostalgia jolt I needed. That iteration of the band had indeed gone away for 15 years at that point so it was a genuine return and I was happy to have that back in my life for 4 or 5 years but then it was time for me to move on. But a switch was flipped after 9/11 (hear me out). Americans began regressing and holding on to anything that gave them comfort with a death grip. We all wanted our security blankets and with the internet pop culture shifted into a new era of "EVERYTHING YOU'VE EVER WANTED, ALL THE TIME!" The entertainment industry was given the marching orders to push pacifiers in all our mouths. "You want more Star Wars? You'll never not have Star Wars. Are you hipper than that and need to quadruple dip on Suspiria? Here's a remake AND a new restoration!" It's a constant nostalgia feed into our brains.

The other day I was in line at the grocery store and I saw that they were selling little snack packs of frosting for you to squirt in your mouth. My mom used to have a saying about candy and cookies and soda pop - "Those are treats, not treatments." These movies just feel like treatments to me.
    Sir, this is a KrustyBurger drive-through.