Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LAST DAYS HERE - Pentagram/Bobby Liebling Documentary

LAST DAYS HERE - Pentagram/Bobby Liebling Documentary

Ok, so I see another member, X-Ray, posted the trailer for this in the documentaries thread.

I saw this a couple of days ago on Netflix, and it was great. It's the story of Bobby Liebling, troubled singer of proto-doom band Pentagram, and Pentagram's almost Anvil-like career arc. Liebling comes across as a troubled, troubled dude, with a multitude of problems, living in his parents sub-basement. Liebling's self-destructive nature is obvious throughout the film, but so is his basic decentness as well. A fan, Rob Pelletier, aka Pellet, has become friends with Liebling, and tries to help him resurrect his career (and Pentagram). I won't give anything away, but Liebling's story is at the same time really sad and optimistic. I highly recommend seeing this doc if you haven't yet.

I'm actually shocked I haven't heard Pentagram's music up to this point. Their "street Sabbath" sound, as one person in the film calls it, is pretty cool. I'm gonna have to pick up the cd that was released a while back of these guys.

Anyone else see this? What were your thoughts?

I keep meaning to see this and it keeps not happening.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    It's worth a watch, Ian. Liebling is one of those oddball rock n' roll characters that just makes you want to see what happens to him, and hear how he got to where he did.

Watch it fer sher, Ian.

The one question I wish the film answered is how much of Pentagram's music is Bobby's (lyrics only?) and how much is created by the revolving group of musicians that work with him. Even if the quality of production varies on the tracks I've heard the songwriting and riffs are pretty great.

The reenactment of Gene and Paul coming to the band's practice space is awesome - those two are such dicks.
    Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Well, it finally happened. This is pretty insane stuff. I knew Liebling had his issues and that he was seemingly always struggling with addiction problems but this was a real eye opener. It also makes his recent assault on his mother hit all the harder - guy deserves to spend some time behind bars for that, particularly when you see in this documentary how much she put up with him. It's all very sad. Liebling had (maybe still has?) a great voice and his stage presence is undeniably impressive in its own strange way. He played a big part in creating some great music. I guess, given recent circumstances, the fact that this ends on a positive note is in a way all the more tragic.

The reenactment of Gene and Paul coming to the band's practice space is awesome - those two are such dicks.
    Yeah, that part cracked me up.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    This sounds intriguing, which is of course why it's not on Netflix in Sweden. I remember when you could cheat the PS4 to believe it was in the US. It was like getting a glimpse of a strange, faboulous new world, with cars big as houses and houses tall as the tallest mountains. Alas, the dream ended and they patched this gateway to paradise, closing it for all of us Euro scum forever. ;_;
    Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!

Liebling had (maybe still has?) a great voice and his stage presence is undeniably impressive in its own strange way.
    He still does which makes the recent turn of events all the more unfortunate. He's looked like death warmed up for the better part of the last 20 years but always brings it live, his frail appearance fooling many people into thinking the show would be a disaster. For a time it seemed he'd finally turned a corner but alas, old habits and what not.
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Cold Heaven (Nicolas Roeg, 1991)

Quote Originally Posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
    This sounds intriguing, which is of course why it's not on Netflix in Sweden. I remember when you could cheat the PS4 to believe it was in the US. It was like getting a glimpse of a strange, faboulous new world, with cars big as houses and houses tall as the tallest mountains. Alas, the dream ended and they patched this gateway to paradise, closing it for all of us Euro scum forever. ;_;
    It's on the olde YouTube:

And yeah I agree it's a quite interesting doc and yeah he ought to be in jail for how he treated his mum. Stupid fuck.

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    Cool, thanks Jack!

First time I saw his a few years ago, I paired it up with Beware of Mr. Baker. ‘Twas a wise choice.