Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Filmed Legacy Of... MacBeth!

Quote Originally Posted by The Silly Swede View Post
    Saw this new one in the arthouse Cinema actually. Pretentious, boring drivel. Why everyone has such a fucking boner for Shakespeare I will never understand.
    Well, as MACBETH proves, he gave good head...
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Heard good things. Fassbender is always a pleasure to watch and I've heard that most of the supporting cast are Scottish which should add to it.

I quite liked CORIOLANUS by Ralph Fiennes with Gerald Butler, Brian Cox, Jessia Chastain and Vanessa Graves. As you can imagine with that cast the dialogue is delivered well and the updating of the era doesn't feel forced. Always helps that this is one of the more violent and profane plays by Shakespeare.

Certainly a much better adaptation than the disappointing TITUS which bungled his most violent and horrorific plays. The film should have been approached as a horror film not the typically overblown poor man's Ken Russell squib we got from the director.
    Last edited by Randy G; 01-23-2016 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
    I quite liked CORIOLANUS by Ralph Fiennes with Gerald Butler, Brian Cox, Jessia Chastain and Vanessa Graves. As you can imagine with that cast the dialogue is delivered well and the updating of the era doesn't feel forced. Always helps that this is one of the more violent and profane plays by Shakespeare.
    CORIOLANUS is very good. In terms up updated adaptations of Shakespeare's plays, aside from the cultural translations (eg, Kurosawa's THRONE OF BLOOD), I've always liked Michael Almereyda's HAMLET. I can't deny the pleasures of FORBIDDEN PLANET either, to be honest.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

I liked Coriolanus more then this new MacBeth. In that one, they at least acted like one acts in films. MacBeth was plagued by theatre style acting. Great cinematography though, it looked gorgeous. But pretentious as hell and stale as well, cause of the style of acting and line delivery.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Anyone familiar with this? I have to admit, I'm curious....

https://www.amazon.de/Dario-Argento-...bluraycom04-21

"This score undoubtedly marks an important turning point in Verdi's operatic writing, because it brings to the foreground the characters' introspective, psychological aspect, which would be the fundamental feature of most of the maestro's later creations. This recording documents the production staged at Novara's Teatro Coccia during the 2013-2014 season, with Dario Argento tackling for the rst time the direction of an opera. Verdi's masterpiece was not new to the director from Rome, who had used it as backdrop for his 1987 lm Opera, set at the Teatro Regio in Parma, indeed during a staging of Macbeth. From the master of thriller and horror one could only expect a direction in line with his previous lm-making background, and from that point of view, this Macbeth does not fail expectations, with its bloody, indeed gory scenes; they are, at any rate, consistent with the dark and brutal character of Shakespeare's tragedy. But aside from all of that, Dario Argento's direction reveals extraordinarily theatrical qualities, greatly enhanced by the conducting of Giuseppe Sabbatini who, on the podium, takes tempos that fit perfectly the unrolling of the drama. "

Name:  519JYwSJMZL._SX342_.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  34.3 KB

Looks like that German Blu-ray has English subs.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Joel Coen has a Macbeth movie in the works to star Frances McDormand and Denzel Washington.

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/...nces-mcdormand
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Anyone familiar with this? I have to admit, I'm curious....

https://www.amazon.de/Dario-Argento-...bluraycom04-21

"This score undoubtedly marks an important turning point in Verdi's operatic writing, because it brings to the foreground the characters' introspective, psychological aspect, which would be the fundamental feature of most of the maestro's later creations. This recording documents the production staged at Novara's Teatro Coccia during the 2013-2014 season, with Dario Argento tackling for the rst time the direction of an opera. Verdi's masterpiece was not new to the director from Rome, who had used it as backdrop for his 1987 lm Opera, set at the Teatro Regio in Parma, indeed during a staging of Macbeth. From the master of thriller and horror one could only expect a direction in line with his previous lm-making background, and from that point of view, this Macbeth does not fail expectations, with its bloody, indeed gory scenes; they are, at any rate, consistent with the dark and brutal character of Shakespeare's tragedy. But aside from all of that, Dario Argento's direction reveals extraordinarily theatrical qualities, greatly enhanced by the conducting of Giuseppe Sabbatini who, on the podium, takes tempos that fit perfectly the unrolling of the drama. "

Name:  519JYwSJMZL._SX342_.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  34.3 KB

Looks like that German Blu-ray has English subs.

Somehow this thread passed me by.

Yes, I've seen it. I know sod all about opera, but I found it quite interesting. However, it's nothing like the Macbeth scenes in Opera. There's plenty of goofy theatrical blood but I couldn't pass judgement on whether it's actually a good opera or not.
    Last edited by agent999; 01-16-2020 at 03:02 PM.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Verdi's Macbeth
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4127164...nm_flmg_msdp_6
    Streaming Free starting tonight April 4th into the day tomorrow April 5th/2020
    https://www.metopera.org/season/on-d...c=811357017623
    Also Free at Met On Demand
    Last edited by George Barry; 04-05-2020 at 01:52 AM.