Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Stanley Adapting H.P. Lovecraft's Color Out of Space

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark View Post

January 24, 2020 in the States.
    Great poster!
    "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

"Some roads you shouldn't go down."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

Diabolik has pre-order pages up for Blu-ray and UHD versions coming 2/25/2020.

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/...k-uhd-blu-ray/

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/...space-blu-ray/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Good news, but not expecting HDR from RLJ. Sounds like this one needs to have it.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Saw this last night. I thought it was just ok. I still think "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" is the best adaptation/homage to this story. I got a lot more mileage out of MANDY.

There's a was pre-recorded post-movie interview with Stanley and the cast. Stanley says this is the first part of a loose Lovecraft trilogy he wants to do. Says he's already working on a script for THE DUNWICH HORROR
    Last edited by Scott; 01-23-2020 at 01:07 PM.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Saw this last night. I thought it was just ok. I still think "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" is the best adaptation/homage to this story. I got a lot more mileage out of MANDY.

There's a was pre-recorded post-movie interview with Stanley and the cast. Stanley says this is the first part of a loose Lovecraft trilogy he wants to do. Says he's already working on a script for THE DUNWICH HORROR
    Pretty much this.

I really wanted to like it but I hated it. It was mid-way through that I realized that I thought Dust Devil was a "pretty good" movie. Not bad at all, but maybe a little over-hyped? Whereas Hardware was decent. Some good visuals but it plodded along.

All the elements were in place for something great. What happened?
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

I dunno. It seemed like a regular movie and not the special happening that everyone was expecting or making it out to be.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

I'd say it was average. Maybe hype played against it? Sure. Okay. But I honestly don't think adapting this Lovecraft story shouldn't be too difficult.

I didn't like his Mother of Toads short either. Only thing I enjoyed was the casting of Catriona MacColl and the Eibon symbol.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I dunno. It seemed like a regular movie and not the special happening that everyone was expecting or making it out to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    I'd say it was average. Maybe hype played against it?
    It's one of those cases of "Aggregation Prestige." At the surface level, people go to RottenTomatoes and go "Wow, 84% positive!" But if you actually read the reviews, both positive and negative, the majority seem to rate this as a mixed bag around 2.5/4 or 3/5.

On the more general topic of niche films that get good responses at film festivals: I find myself tired of films being declared "instant cult classics." The whole point of cult followings is that they're not achieved "instantly"!
    Last edited by Curwen; 01-26-2020 at 03:19 AM.

Yeah, I don't understand why people use RT instead of MetaCritic or something else. RT only counts how many reviews are "positive" vs. "negative." So, if every critic in the world rated a film 6 out of 10, it would be 100% on RT. Seems like fairly misleading and useless insight to me, at least compared to something like MC that actually calculates the specifics and would only give a film 100% if the film's true average score was 10 out of 10. In that case, unless you take a real existential PoV and always dismiss all critics' opinions entirely (in which case, you'd never have any reason to check scores on any sites), MC's would be much more informative about what quality film to exist.