Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 100

Thread: Richard Stanley Adapting H.P. Lovecraft's Color Out of Space

  1. #61
    ‘The Last Full Measure’ And ‘Color Out Of Space’ Have Solid Debuts, ‘Parasite’ Crosses $30M – Specialty Box Office

    Also having a solid opening this weekend was RLJE Films’ Color Out of Space, directed by cult filmmaker Richard Stanley and starring Nicolas Cage. The sci-fi horror grossed an estimated $217,800 on 81 screens this weekend. When added to the $140,364 grossed at Wednesday’s special sneak preview screening, the estimated cume comes in at over $350,000.

    Based on H.P. Lovecraft’s short story, Color Out of Space expectedly performed well in New York and Los Angeles. It grossed an estimated $12,000 at the IFC Center in New York and $14,000 at Arclight Hollywood. Various Alamo Drafthouse locations — a perfect venue for a genre film like this — were selling out during the weekend in Brooklyn, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Austin, and Denver.

    “Richard, Nic, and the Spectrevision team have brought Lovecraft’s story to life in a way that demands to be seen on the big screen,” said Mark Ward, RLJ Entertainment’s Chief Acquisitions Officer. “Color Out of Space is not just a movie, it’s an experience, and we’re thrilled that audiences are coming out to fill up theaters and take the ride together.”

    The film, which currently is certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes with an 84% score, is very much in a similar genre world like Mandy, which also starred Cage and was a collaboration between RLJE, Elijah Wood’s SpectreVision, and XYZ films. Color Out of Space nearly matched Mandy in its opening weekend gross of $225,723. The film is set to expand next weekend.
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

    Latest post: Dog Walker (John Leslie, 1994)

  2. #62
    Member Curwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    AZ, USA
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Curwen View Post
    At the surface level, people go to RottenTomatoes and go "Wow, 84% positive!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wernski View Post
    Yeah, I don't understand why people use RT instead of MetaCritic or something else.
    Because it sounds snazzier in Deadline box office reports?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark View Post
    "[...]The film, which currently is certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes with an 84% score[...]"

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Curwen View Post
    On the more general topic of niche films that get good responses at film festivals: I find myself tired of films being declared "instant cult classics." The whole point of cult followings is that they're not achieved "instantly"!
    Having attended a fair amount of film festivals myself, one thing that always must be kept in mind is that often times even the mildest 'surprise' can get totally blown out of proportion. A film that nobody expected much out of isn't half bad? "OMG!! It's the greatest thing since sliced bread!!" The opposite also happens when a highly touted picture is a tad disappointing and it's labeled "a disaster".

    Weeks or months later when said film finally gets released to commercial theaters/streaming and emotions have cooled often has the general public scratching their heads: "What was all the hubub about?!!"

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Having attended a fair amount of film festivals myself, one thing that always must be kept in mind is that often times even the mildest 'surprise' can get totally blown out of proportion. A film that nobody expected much out of isn't half bad? "OMG!! It's the greatest thing since sliced bread!!" The opposite also happens when a highly touted picture is a tad disappointing and it's labeled "a disaster".

    Weeks or months later when said film finally gets released to commercial theaters/streaming and emotions have cooled often has the general public scratching their heads: "What was all the hubub about?!!"
    Yeah, I find that listening to podcasts where the hosts go to festivals, they come back ranting about all these films that turn out to be just okay at best, like "I know it's not even out yet, but I just can't resist putting it on my Top Ten of the Year list!" And I've slowly learned to stop noting their opinions... I guess it's because many/most(?) films in horror fests are amateurish crap that never winds up breaking out, so within that context, a movie that tells a story with a beginning, middle and end feels like a thrill?

    That said, though, I really liked Color Out Of Space more than I thought I would.

  5. #65
    I thought The Curse with Will Wheatthin was better. Fight me.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

    Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Wernski View Post
    Yeah, I find that listening to podcasts where the hosts go to festivals, they come back ranting about all these films that turn out to be just okay at best, like "I know it's not even out yet, but I just can't resist putting it on my Top Ten of the Year list!" And I've slowly learned to stop noting their opinions... I guess it's because many/most(?) films in horror fests are amateurish crap that never winds up breaking out, so within that context, a movie that tells a story with a beginning, middle and end feels like a thrill?

    Funny!

    And, it's not just the low bar scenario, it's also the I SAW IT FIRST!! effect. Fest folks like to brag that they were the ones who "discovered" a film.

  7. #67
    Administrator Ian Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens, NYC
    Posts
    56,806
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Santa Sangre, The Stunt Man, Horror Express...the man's got taste.
    "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

    "Some roads you shouldn't go down."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

  9. #69
    Administrator Ian Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens, NYC
    Posts
    56,806
    British theatrical release poster art.

    Name:  coos-main.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  114.4 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

  10. #70
    Senior Member Mark Tolch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    8,670
    Poster art trying to cash in on the success of Mandy? Looks like it.

Similar Threads

  1. Richard Stanley's Hardware
    By Ian Jane in forum International - Other
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-02-2020, 11:49 AM
  2. Replace (2016) Co-written by Richard Stanley
    By Tom Clark in forum Horror!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2016, 08:50 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2016, 06:33 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2012, 11:08 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2012, 06:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •