Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Symptoms coming to Blu-Ray

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Symptoms coming to Blu-Ray

Last but not least is a title which has been rescued from the BFI’s ‘Most Wanted’ list (the record of important British feature films that are considered lost) after the recent discovery of the original negative: José Ramón Larraz’s dark and disturbing Symptoms (1974). Britain’s official Palme d’Or entry at the 1974 Cannes Film Festival, the film was given the briefest of theatrical releases, but aside from a screening on British television in the early 80s it disappeared into obscurity. The BFI’s Flipside release presents the film in a stunning new restoration along with a wealth of essential extra features, including new interviews with its stars Angela Pleasence and Lorna Heilbron, and is being produced in collaboration with the great US label Mondo Macabro.
    The latest BFI press release has a wonderful little nugget tucked away at the end of it: the negative for Symptoms has been found and the BFI are releasing it on Blu-Ray in collaboration with Mondo Macabro!

At long, long last! This really is one of my most wanted. Peter Vaughan too.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Smith View Post
    At long, long last! This really is one of my most wanted.
    Same here. Great news! I really wondered if this would ever happen. Can't think of a better company to work with than MM too.

Now, since we're rolling boxcars here, how about getting WHIRLPOOL, DEVIATION, and SCREAM AND DIE on BD as well. Then I can shuffle off this tilt-a-whirl a relatively happy man.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    Now, since we're rolling boxcars here, how about getting WHIRLPOOL, DEVIATION, and SCREAM AND DIE on BD as well.
    Ha, absolutely. I'm sure Paul will notice soon and add his tuppence-worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Smith View Post
    Ha, absolutely. I'm sure Paul will notice soon and add his tuppence-worth.
    Oh, yes I'm very excited about this. I emailed the BFI a couple of years ago when SYMPTOMS was screened via a 35mm print in Brussels, and received a fairly positive response (I think I posted it here) which suggested that even if the leads were positive, it may of course take several years for the film to be released, if at all. This has come round much sooner than I could have hoped.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    Oh, yes I'm very excited about this. I emailed the BFI a couple of years ago when SYMPTOMS was screened via a 35mm print in Brussels, and received a fairly positive response (I think I posted it here) which suggested that even if the leads were positive, it may of course take several years for the film to be released, if at all. This has come round much sooner than I could have hoped.
    Yes, I remember you posting that here, Paul.

I too have been dying to see that documentary ever since I got wind of it. I have a made for television doc on Larraz that's pretty god albeit way too brief. This is shaping up to be a contender for release of the year for me.

The reason I mentioned DEVIATION, WHIRLPOOL, and SCREAM AND DIE here is that, to me at least, they have certain similarities in tone and twisted atmosphere as SYMPTOMS. WHIRLPOOL in particular I'm dying to see in a gorgeous restoration. That time-coded eyesore is a real drag. That film is right up there with SYMPTOMS for me, one of his major works. That it's scored with one of Cipriani's finest soundtracks is the cherry on top.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    Now, since we're rolling boxcars here, how about getting WHIRLPOOL, DEVIATION, and SCREAM AND DIE on BD as well. Then I can shuffle off this tilt-a-whirl a relatively happy man.
    And Estigma!
    "My mouth is laughing but my mind is not." -Me, I said that.

Quote Originally Posted by slizwiz View Post
    And Estigma!
    I believe Code Red has been teasing Stigma, Black Candles and Deadly Manor for a while now. More Larraz on disc is a good thing no matter the film although it goes without saying that this announcement of Symptoms is massive. Hopefully it'll get Larraz's name out there to more people. His day is long overdue. Great that Celia Novis' doc on Larraz is included as an extra. Been itching to see that since I first heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe
    Now, since we're rolling boxcars here, how about getting WHIRLPOOL, DEVIATION, and SCREAM AND DIE on BD as well.
    Boy howdy. You know, some time back a short clip from Whirlpool dubbed in Italian was uploaded to YouTube. The quality was almost VHS, miles better than the time coded print everyone has seen. The clips been gone for a while now but seeing even such a short bit of the film in better condition than what was thought to be the only print was an eye opener to say the least.

Symptoms coming to Blu-Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark View Post
    Great that Celia Novis' doc on Larraz is included as an extra. Been itching to see that since I first heard of it.
    I emailed her a couple of years ago to see if this was going to be distributed somehow but got no response. Very excited that it's part of the package. I just wonder if the MM and BFI will be the same beast...
    Last edited by Clive Smith; 02-04-2016 at 08:37 PM.

Greatest home video news since the announcement of Borowczyk's Dr. Jekyll. One of the best 70's horror films and when all is said and done probably Larraz's magnum opus.