Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mr. Vampire Coming To Blu-ray!

Extras for the Eureka release:

SPECIAL FEATURES
    Limited Edition O-CARD with new artwork by Darren Wheeling [2000 units]
    Limited edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film [2000 units]
    1080p presentation from a brand new 2K restoration
    Original Cantonese audio (original mono presentation)
    English dub track produced for the film’s original European home video release
    English dub track produced for the film’s original American home video release
    Newly translated English subtitles
    Brand new and exclusive feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
    Alternate end credits
    Archival interview with Chin Siu-Hou [40 mins]
    Archival interview with Moon Lee [15 mins]
    Archival interview with Ricky Lau [12 mins]
    Original Hong Kong Trailer
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Is it possible that the Eureka disc is cut due to violence imposed on a rubber rat? Haven't watched this in forever and don't currently have access to my old DVD, but it seemed like there is a moment where the head bad guy is getting ready to eat or "wring out" a rat, then they chastely cut away.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Crist View Post
    Is it possible that the Eureka disc is cut due to violence imposed on a rubber rat?
    I can't conclusively answer your question but it is curious that the BBFC doesn't list a new submission of the film for 2020. According to them, the film was last submitted and rated in 2002, 18 years ago, when UK censorship was quite a bit more strict than it is now:

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/mr-vampire-1985

They also claim it was passed without cuts but that is never 100% trustworthy since there's always a possibility that the UK distributor pre-cut the film before submission to save costs of resubmitting a film that was refused classification. Only way we can be sure is if someone can compare a HK release with the new BD.

Appreciate the response—pretty sure I’m just being alarmist.

Is it possible that the Eureka disc is cut due to violence imposed on a rubber rat? Haven't watched this in forever and don't currently have access to my old DVD, but it seemed like there is a moment where the head bad guy is getting ready to eat or "wring out" a rat, then they chastely cut away.
    I can check my DVD if you'd like; just give me a time stamp of where the rat scene occurs.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Will try to get back to you later today. Thanks!

Turns out it’s right before the 85-minute mark on the Blu-ray.

Turns out it’s right before the 85-minute mark on the Blu-ray.
    Try comparing this (someone on Blu-Ray forum said their old DVD looked exactly like this) with the BD.

I checked my DVD and he just grabs the rat and puts it up to his mouth. It cuts away before he chomps on it.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Thanks, gentlemen!