Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 88 Films Releasing Hex - 88 Asia Line

88 Films Releasing Hex - 88 Asia Line

From FB:"

Over a year ago (after a successful start to the ITALIAN and SLASHER ranges) we asked you guys and gals what new collection of remastered flicks you wanted to see.
    Overwhelmed by the response for an far eastern collection of horror and martial arts we started planning our Bollywood and Sex Comedy Collections. Unfortunately these fell through at the last minute, so instead......
    88 Films is proud to announce the launch of our latest collection - 88 Asia!
    Before RING, before DARK WATER, before SHUTTER there was HEX
    Asian horror cinema was already hitting strikes by the time the1980s dawned and nowhere was more ahead of the curve than the then-British colony of Hong Kong. The city of neon lights and vibrant street life was no stranger to scary movies and HEX was perhaps the island's crowning achievement. Released in 1980, and emerging from the legendary Shaw Bros Studios, whose knack for colourful landscapes and misty atmosphere remains legendary, HEX tells a weird and wonderful story of witchcraft and wanton revenge!
    Directed by the late, great Kuei Chih-Hung, whose output also includes the frequently censored "nasty" THE KILLER SNAKES (1974), this formidable Eastern frightener has an abused woman caught in a strange mystery of manslaughter and macabre happenings. To say anything else would be to spoil one of the Orient's most influential terror titles, but rest assured that HEX has a few spooky surprises up its sleeve.
    Now gaining its worldwide HD debut from 88 Films, HEX may just be the greatest ghost story you have never seen!
    Artwork TBC
    Extras TBC but booklet notes by Caulm Waddell will accompany each release. probably"

Name:  12963921_1287901164559823_932090484611072025_n.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  29.7 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Wow, good stuff!!

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    Wait, wasn't there a thread about this just yesterday?
    Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!

Not that I can find...
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
    Wait, wasn't there a thread about this just yesterday?
    You weren't imagining things.

Extras TBC but booklet notes by Caulm Waddell will accompany each release. probably"
    who the hell is Caulm? Not a good sign when they can't even spell his name (Calum) properly.
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    Well, such great news deserves its own thread anyway! I hope 88 have lots of HK horror planned, and not just from the Shaw catalogue. There is so, so much AMAZING stuff that's never even had a DVD release. People in the FB comments are like "release some martial arts", but a line of exclusively HK horror and exploitation films has been my wet dream for years.

As I said in the other thread, it's kind of unlikely this will look very good. Most of the transfers on the Celestial DVD's are extremely processed and smoothened. On the other hand, a poster in the comments on FB wrote that this hasn't had a HD transfer, so fingers crossed.
    Last edited by enandalusiskhund; 04-11-2016 at 11:47 PM.
    Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!

I too welcome the release of classic HK horror and exploitation titles....i hope they continue to release them!

If I was them I wouldn't put "Shaw Brothers" at all on the cover. I don't think that name has much draw here in the UK and may even put people off, especially 88's usual horror crowd. Unfairly really, but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
    If I was them I wouldn't put "Shaw Brothers" at all on the cover. I don't think that name has much draw here in the UK and may even put people off, especially 88's usual horror crowd. Unfairly really, but there you go.
    Haha...but on the other hand they may sell a few extra copies accidentally to some kung fu entusiasts who recognise the name...who may be suprised when they gwt home.

I think that is the problem with Shaw Brothers, and why they now get low sales. people in the past bought them thinking its a kung fu film, when a lot of Shaws are wuxia or heroic kind of films (is there a better term for these?).