Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 88 Films Releasing Hex - 88 Asia Line

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    Extras TBC but booklet notes by Caulm Waddell will accompany each release. probably"
    who the hell is Caulm? Not a good sign when they can't even spell his name (Calum) properly.
    Immerse yourself in his world and see ( I'd add more but Ian would delete it )
    https://twitter.com/CalumWaddell

Quote Originally Posted by John Bernhard View Post
    That would depend on what was said, really. But hey, don't let me stop you from jumping to your own conclusions.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by sukebanboy View Post
    I too welcome the release of classic HK horror and exploitation titles....i hope they continue to release them!
    Seems like this is the first in a planned line, so yeah, hopefully this does well enough for them that it can continue. There isn't much action on the HK horror front domestically so if subbed releases come out in the UK, I don't mind importing them. There's a gold mine of insanity here that genre fans should be stoked about. And as others have said, yeah, some of the Shaw stuff is great and would look awesome in HD if done properly, but branching out of the Shaw properties could also yield some pretty great titles.

I'm genuinely excited about this prospect. 88 aren't my favorite label by a long shot but if no one else is going to release these, I'll gladly support them on the titles that interest me.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Yikes, 5 minutes of that was all I needed before deciding the less I know about Calum the better. I enjoy Blu-ray/DVD special features and don't want them ruined by my opinion of the moderator/creator.

I just clicked the link, that guy says there will be ANOTHER Asian announcement on Friday

Im going to guess itll be BLACK MAGIC (based on the guy saying "it'll be "a real classic"..)
    Last edited by Bogart; 04-12-2016 at 11:17 AM.

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    Pretty please, BE Black Magic! It's out on blu in Austria already, but without english subs. Haven't even bothered researching how it looks, since my understanding of the beautiful German language is limited (though not non-existant), but I know the Austrian releases of Shaw films I own, Super Inframan and Mighty Peking Man, look stunning.
    Kristi kraft betvingar dig

Go ahead & spill the beans and let us be the judge. I see he has a beef with one of the posters here and is calling him out publicly for some reason?

Quote Originally Posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
    Pretty please, BE Black Magic! It's out on blu in Austria already, but without english subs. Haven't even bothered researching how it looks, since my understanding of the beautiful German language is limited (though not non-existant), but I know the Austrian releases of Shaw films I own, Super Inframan and Mighty Peking Man, look stunning.
    yeah was curious why the krauts got all the good shit blu ray & dvd releases of even obscure chop socky flicks? Did they have an equivalent of "black belt theater" in Germany that aired a lot of the old school kung fu movies?
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    Go ahead & spill the beans and let us be the judge.
    Please don't. Anytime he comes up it derails things and sends threads into Hell. There are plenty of reasons to dislike the guy but there are also people who clearly take pleasure in chasing him around the web. Given that I'm the one who gets to deal with the clean up, I'd prefer that Calum talk be limited to his work on extras, etc. (that's all very much fair game) rather than personal gripes and attacks.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
    The german release is one of the reasons why I think its a strong possibility. there is a demand for this film in English friendly, but how much is not sure. it just needs a company with the balls to take a chance (given not many other English/non german shaw brothers blu rays have done particularly well previously I don't think).

Just announced...

Friday announcement #2

Hong Kong's ever-evolving film industry was beginning to drift away from period-set kung fu craziness by the time FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS appeared in 1982. However, just before the dawn of POLICE STORY - and sundry heroic bloodshed blockbusters - director Chang Cheh showed that there was plenty of life left in straightforward wuxia chopsocky mayhem! Indeed, leave it to the Shaw Brothers studio to offer up a story as spirited as this one - with a young martial artist pitting his wits against a gang of well-disguised, sneaky and unthinkably sadistic masked men versed in Japanese combat techniques.

Drawing on the age old tension between The Land of the Rising Sun and China - which famously led to colonialism and conflict before and during World War 2 - FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS, which was released in America under the culturally confused moniker CHINESE SUPER NINJAS, is a riotious rollercoaster ride of spilled blood, bludgeoned skulls and seductive, but deadly, Far Eastern femmes.

Starring the mighty Cheng Tien-Chi - also of Jackie Chan's FEARLESS HYENA (1979) - FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS is one of the crowning achievements from the great career of legendary director Chang Cheh (THE ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN/ THE BRAVE ARCHER). Rediscover this carnage-packed classic on Blu-ray courtesy of 88 Films!

Artwork TBC - which is your favourite poster?
    Extras TBC, but notes by Calum Waddell, probably...
    Rock! Shock! Pop!