Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 88 Films Releasing Hex - 88 Asia Line

I thought the transfer for Hex looked just fine. Its a oddball of a film, at times it doesn't know if its a horror or a comedy. Liked it though.

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    Just caught this earlier and man, the picture is soft as fuck with poor contrast
    That's largely down to the photography, which uses lots of diffuse light, giving a soft, overexposed/low contrast appearance.

I hadn't seen this film in years but rewatched it earlier this week via the 88 Films Blu. It's clearly modelled on LES DIABOLIQUES but cuts to the proverbial chase much more quickly than that film. I'd forgotten how much the climax played on the nude form of one of the two main actresses, and I'd also forgotten how violent some portions of the film were. I enjoyed it.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
    Are Seeding of a Ghost and Killer Constable confirmed?

Too bad about Hex. I was guessing they'd use Celestial's crap transfers, but the hope was alive.
    Seeding is definitely confirmed as it is pictured in the insert booklet that is included with HEX & I can't recall where (maybe Facebook?) but I seem to have read that KILLER CONSTABLE is the "K" one. I was hoping it would be another Kuei Chih-hung film in KILLERS ON WHEELS as the upcoming TVP blu ray release will not be English friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
    M, hm, could be:

Monkey Goes West, The
    Mobfix Patrol
    Magnificent Wanderers
    Mighty One, The
    Master of Kung Fu
    Mini Skirt Gang
    Marco Polo
    Mysterious Lady Killer
    Mad Monkey Kung Fu
    Magnificent Ruffians
    Murder Plot
    Master, The
    Martial Club
    Murderer Pursues
    Mercenaries from Hong Kong
    Men from the Gutter
    Master Strikes Back
    Martial Arts of Shaolin
    Mad Monk

Thanks for the info about Hex. Probably wont bother with it now.
    It will probably end up being MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS or MARTIAL CLUB but MEN FROM THE GUTTER is the real gem on that list. Nam Nai-choi is remembered for RIKI-OH but MFTG is his best film IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    That's largely down to the photography, which uses lots of diffuse light, giving a soft, overexposed/low contrast appearance.

I hadn't seen this film in years but rewatched it earlier this week via the 88 Films Blu. It's clearly modelled on LES DIABOLIQUES but cuts to the proverbial chase much more quickly than that film. I'd forgotten how much the climax played on the nude form of one of the two main actresses, and I'd also forgotten how violent some portions of the film were. I enjoyed it.
    My first reaction was I actually thought I had put in the DVD by mistake until I noticed the high bit rates on my OSD. Which makes me wonder why 88films even went the dual format route with these releases? Just make it blu ray and save the costs of authoring/printing/storing both versions.

I agree about the finale - it caught me off a bit. I wasn't expecting such a lurid exorcism scene with Kwaidan overtones.
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    The nudity in Hex is of the absolutely epic quality. Boobs, while nice to look at, are easily forgotten, but a presentation like this is engraved in memory forever.

Seeding of a Ghost coming is great news! That's one of the best.
    Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!

Is the upcoming TVP release of KILLERS ON WHEELS a blu ray? I watched the promo clip on their Facebook page and it seems to only indicate it's DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardrli View Post
    Is the upcoming TVP release of KILLERS ON WHEELS a blu ray? I watched the promo clip on their Facebook page and it seems to only indicate it's DVD.
    You're correct. It was just wishful thinking on my part. There is no HD master for TVP to churn out a blu ray.

I still have one of the kaleyboy custom DVDs of this one. It's probably the best version extant until this TVP release. I think it was ripped from a French VOD service and unfortunately it has embedded French subs but kaleyboy has an option where you can "black" them out with the English sub overlay.

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    Seeding is definitely confirmed as it is pictured in the insert booklet that is included with HEX & I can't recall where (maybe Facebook?) but I seem to have read that KILLER CONSTABLE is the "K" one. I was hoping it would be another Kuei Chih-hung film in KILLERS ON WHEELS as the upcoming TVP blu ray release will not be English friendly.

It will probably end up being MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS or MARTIAL CLUB but MEN FROM THE GUTTER is the real gem on that list. Nam Nai-choi is remembered for RIKI-OH but MFTG is his best film IMHO.
    Actually, itll probably be MIGHTY PEKING MAN, which was missing from the list. Seems more up 88's street?

88 January Announcement #1
    Zhong Gui (aka Seeding of a Ghost) - 88 Asia #5
    Landing on Dual Format on 16th January Seeding of a Ghost tells the story of a Hong Kong taxi driver who suffers after being cursed by a sorcerer he accidentally hit with his cab.
    Featuring Cantonese audio with English subtitles, a trailer and and as yet to be recorded commentary by the legendary Bey Logan Seeding of a Ghost is the next instalment in our exciting 88 Asia collection.
    Also includes extensive first pressing booklet notes by a Scottish Doctor and a reversible sleeve.

Name:  14494829_1433967773286494_8655191784938505606_n.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  43.1 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Not really any surprising news to us but 88 Films made it official that the "K" & "M" to complete the 8 SBs releases are going to be Killer Constable & Mighty Peking Man. I'm probably not going to double or triple dip for these since I already have the German blu rays + IVL R3 dvds. I don't care about the English dub or the booklet notes by Calum Waddell.

Details on the two releases:

88 FILMS ANNOUNCEMENTS:

Release date 13th Feb 2017

The Might Peking Man - Dual Format

King Kong comes to Hong Kong in The Mighty Peking Man, a uniquely Shaw Brothers spin on the ageless theme of beauty and the beast. The beast, seven stories high and hailing from the Himalayas, makes his way to the jungles of India in the wake of a violent earthquake. The beauty is Swiss starlet Evelyn Kraft, a sexy blonde Tarzanette who is the Mighty Peking Man’s best friend. Both are discovered by Danny Lee, a handsome young explorer who brings the odd couple back to Hong Kong, where Evelyn is almost raped and the monster runs amuck. Instead of the Empire State Building, the special effects laden climax takes place at the Connaught Centre, then Hong Kong’s tallest building. Plenty of action, location shooting in India, and an inter-racial romance make this one of Shaw Brothers’ most unique motion pictures. Variety’s verdict: “High camp, Chinese style.”

Features:
    High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations of the Film
    Restored HD master in original 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio
    Mandarin Soundtrack with English Subtitles
    English Dub Soundtrack
    Trailer
    Booklet Notes by Dr. Calum Waddell

----------

Release date 27th March 2017

Killer Constable - Dual Format

During the Ching Dynasty period, 20,000 taels of gold are stolen from the Palace vaults. The Empress Dowager orders her chief security guard Liu Ching Tien to capture the thieves and have the gold returned within three months. Leng Tien Ying (Chen Kuan-tai), the Court Chief Constable, is given this difficult assignment.
    One robber is caught, and provides clues about his accomplices. Meanwhile, the robber-chief, Feng Feng Jia (Ku Feng), sends his own top killer after Leng but without success.
    Feng's men make several more attempts against Leng's life, but only succeed in wounding him. Leng finally confronts the robber-chief in a fight, and Feng, at the point of death, reveals the truth about the real masterbrain behind the theft. Leng sets out once more, to achieve justice and complete his mission.

Features:
    High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations of the Film
    Restored HD master in original 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio
    English dubbed Soundtrack
    Mandarin Soundtrack with English Subtitles
    Audio Commentary by acclaimed Asian Cinema expert, Bey Logan
    Trailer
    Booklet Notes by Dr. Calum Waddell
    Rock! Shock! Pop!